Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only person upset the Cards didn't trade a 6th rounder for Greg Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Admittedly I am enamored by FREAK athletes with good tape (why I said Cards should draft David Johnson in 3rd round 2 months before draft - did you see DJ's combine #'s ??) -- hmmmm ... apparently you missed my post above where if I coached the Rams I would have wanted Robinson to get to 305 lbs.

So let me be clear -- in lieu of G. Robinson having a alcohol/drug issue or a Levi Brown issue (has no interest in playing football but it earns him a nice check), I think G. Robinson playing in the 315-320 lbs range at guard (especially at 6'5") can be very good especially in more of a man blocking scheme. Greg Robinson at greater than 330 lbs playing LT trying to to take on DE's who can run 4.6 40's -- I posted a couple of years ago a plethora of players who failed at tackle but got moved inside to guard and made multiple Pro Bowls so it is very possible.

Of course the problem is the Lions are going to play him at tackle (due to injury to their tackle) so he may very well fail in Detroit.
    Well .. Well -- what do you know, I just found a Pro Football Focus analysis of rookies back in Greg Robinson's rookie year. Remember he played his first 3 games at GUARD before being moved to tackle due to injury. PLEASE -- see this analysis by Pro Football Focus of Greg Robinson AT GUARD in his rookie year -- yes, you see it correctly that he was rated the BEST OL of all rookies -- [drop mic]
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/fir...ers-in-review/
    Last edited by SurpriseCardFan; 06-16-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Crazy how the Rams got away with grand theft of the Redskins for RGIII and the only player they still selected that's still even on the team is Alec Olgetree. Talk about a waste
    Wow. They probably worked pretty darn hard to screw up that badly.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Greg Robinson is NOT a tackle but he could be an EXCELLENT RG especially as a devastating run blocker. Cards have a plethora of 2018 draft picks and should do a Patriot move in trading picks for vets with talent who just have been in wrong systems or playing wrong positions because the Rams offensive coaches don't know what they are doing.
    like trading for jonathan cooper?

Am I the only person upset the Cards didn't trade a 6th rounder for Greg Robinson
    i hope so, he's the worst, why would we want him?

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    For a 6th rounder I would have taken a flier on him. Problem was the Lambs tried him at both guard and tackle and he wasn't very good at either. I could have been the system, or he just didn't want to play for the Lambs. Then again it could be he is just another 1st round bust.

What a come down. From a high 1st rounder. To only getting a 6th round pick for him. Something was going on that the Lambs didn't like to give him away so cheap.
    If it was just that he didn't want to play for the Lambs, why didn't he bust his butt off and then demand a trade or refuse all contract extensions and franchise tags?
    NFL: Cardinals & Packers. NCAA: Clemson. NBA: Need a Team. MLB: Yankees

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Your defense of him is nothing but college, college, college.

Doesnt matter. In the NFL hes a bust, plain and simple. His glory days dont matter. Vernon Gholston was one of the most dominant college DE's of all time, zero career NFL sacks. I could name 50 "all time great" college players who washed out in the NFL.
    In a sense, you are right. The only time he was truly productive was at Auburn. So his assessment as a college prospect is the only positive thing going for him.

But Surprise is completely right, the guy isn't a proven waste... yet.

First of all, the Rams primarily played him out of position. He never showed any propensity to play LT, yet they stubbornly Levi-ed him anyway.
    Second, they suck as a team. Fischer was a horrific HC, especially when it came to O. Greg was never given much IQ or talent around him to help him develop.
    Third, he's young (24) and still has room to learn ACTUALLY how to play G.
    Fourth, his cost was next to nothing. A 5th or 6th for a flier on an ex 1st round guy is cheap as heck. If he stinks up the joint it's hardly a loss and totally worth the risk.
    Fifth, you are totally right about Vernon and the 50 other examples. But you can also name 50 other guys who were "busts" that found success at other, more intelligent teams. Ex Cards Leonard Davis and Thomas Jones come to mind. Robert Gallery is another ex "T" top pick bust that was mildly successful at G.

The point is, while he FOR SURE wasn't worth the the #2 overall pick in 2014, he's worth a 5th rounder now to find out if he is serviceable at G.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    i hope so, he's the worst, why would we want him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Your defense of him is nothing but college, college, college.

Doesnt matter. In the NFL hes a bust, plain and simple. His glory days dont matter. Vernon Gholston was one of the most dominant college DE's of all time, zero career NFL sacks. I could name 50 "all time great" college players who washed out in the NFL.
    Please read post above where PFF rated him the best rookie OL (better than Lewan or Matthews) when HE PLAYED GUARD !!! ... I can't help that the Rams moved him to LT due to injury and then didn't move him back to Guard. So he's certainly not the worst at guard nor am I defending him only on college/college/college -- there are a plethora of guards who failed at tackle and became Pro Bowlers at guard and Robinson's best position by far is guard.

Making trades inside your division is tough. Would of cost the cards far more than the Lions.
    Last edited by heatrodyne; 06-16-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Any of you ever think that maybe he just couldn't pick up NFL plays and schemes? Wasn't asked to pass protect at Auburn, and while he may have been a mauler then, if he can't figure out what role he's supposed to be playing every down, every play in the playbook, every different scheme look the offense and defense gives, then he's a lost cause. I think he just couldn't learn the NFL system. Has talent, but nothing between the ears.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by 4U2NV View Post
    Any of you ever think that maybe he just couldn't pick up NFL plays and schemes? Wasn't asked to pass protect at Auburn, and while he may have been a mauler then, if he can't figure out what role he's supposed to be playing every down, every play in the playbook, every different scheme look the offense and defense gives, then he's a lost cause. I think he just couldn't learn the NFL system. Has talent, but nothing between the ears.
    This could be true at Tackle. He never looked comfortable at Auburn moving backwards. Which is why they probably had him stunt with his LG on most pass plays. That allowed him to go forward, which he seems FAR more comfortable with. He legitimately was the LG on most pass plays. Which is really weird. It isn't far fetched then to assume that he couldn't learn the schemes because he never played LT in pass protection.

What we don't know is how comfortable he is picking up plays in the phone booth.

There's a reason LT's get the big bucks over everyone else. That job is FAR harder than the other 4. So maybe with an easier position Greg can be successful. There's just less for him to think about since he doesn't have to worry about the edge.

BTW, it's a staple of drafts now to take T's and move them in: Justin Britt, Wesley Johnson, and Mitch Morse moved to C. Bitonio, Carpenter, Mewhort, Pugh, La'el Collins, and Zack Martin moved to G (just to name a few). I see no reason to not try Robinson inside.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Default Reviews from Former OL - G. Robinson is going to do great in Lions scheme

Former OL Geoff Schwartz raves about G. Robinson in the Lions scheme --
    http://lionswire.usatoday.com/2017/0...eoff-schwartz/

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/16/1...t-win-now-mode

FWIW: I didn't even know the Lions ran this OL scheme but years ago I used to tell people that I never fully understood why OL's didn't employ this jump set technique rather than backing up to pass protect. The traditional pass blocking sets inform LB's/Safeties the play is a pass 90% of time (absent an occasional draw play) when all that does is put OL on their heals and collapse the pocket a bit in QB's face limiting a QB's sight lines to WR's.