Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Am I the only person upset the Cards didn't trade a 6th rounder for Greg Robinson

Default Reviews from Former OL - G. Robinson is going to do great in Lions scheme

Former OL Geoff Schwartz raves about G. Robinson in the Lions scheme --
    http://lionswire.usatoday.com/2017/0...eoff-schwartz/

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/16/1...t-win-now-mode

FWIW: I didn't even know the Lions ran this OL scheme but years ago I used to tell people that I never fully understood why OL's didn't employ this jump set technique rather than backing up to pass protect. The traditional pass blocking sets inform LB's/Safeties the play is a pass 90% of time (absent an occasional draw play) when all that does is put OL on their heals and collapse the pocket a bit in QB's face limiting a QB's sight lines to WR's.

A great GM and a roster of very talented scouts can not predict who will bust or who will be a star. Another example of why the draft in an inexact science.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Greg Robinson is NOT a tackle but he could be an EXCELLENT RG especially as a devastating run blocker. Cards have a plethora of 2018 draft picks and should do a Patriot move in trading picks for vets with talent who just have been in wrong systems or playing wrong positions because the Rams offensive coaches don't know what they are doing.
    I highly doubt Rams would have traded him to us. I wouldn't trade a player to a division rival or less they were grossly over paying me. On top of that I'm not upset at all. He sucks.
    Last edited by Ditship; 06-17-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    I don't care how you do it, JUST WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ditship View Post
    On top of that I'm not upset at all. He sucks.
    We'll revisit this in 2 yrs -- this thread which I started is feeling a lot like how I got blasted several years back for saying Cards should draft Cordy Glenn who I felt could play tackle coming out of Georgia even though he played mostly guard in college as I felt his feet were good enough to play tackle... well he has been named to Pro Bowls as a Left Tackle and got franchised tagged by the Bills. I do have a feeling Greg Robinson will turn his career around in Detroit and the Cards could have had him if they had offered a 6th when the Rams went and paid Whitworth as there were no other takers at the time .... Decker goes down for the Lions who then were desperate but still only had to give up a 6th for a former 2nd pick in the draft.

Here is an excerpt from this article about the Lions OL coach improving their lineman's technique: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...ions-bob-quinn

Guess who else came out of college with question marks on pass protection? Whatever the issues were with Taylor Decker, the Lions got it all worked out:

"As a linemen you have to be consistent," Decker said. "I think that's the name of the game as being a linemen. So, just staying square in pass protection, and keeping proper footwork, don't get overextended and things like that. There's so many little subtleties that I know coach (Ron) Prince will coach me up on, and I think he's going to make me a much, much better player."

I have made the argument in the past that seeing how Lions coaches were able to teach a number of young players to fix particular technique issues inspires confidence that they can do the same again. Ron Prince has done great work with Taylor Decker and Joe Dahl on technical stuff, so there is good reason to believe he can do a solid job with Greg Robinson. This is a good match of phenomenal athletic talent, modest acquisition price, and Detroit coaching capabilities.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

We'll revisit this in 2 yrs -- this thread which I started is feeling a lot like how I got blasted several years back for saying Cards should draft Cordy Glenn who I felt could play tackle coming out of Georgia even though he played mostly guard in college as I felt his feet were good enough to play tackle... well he has been named to Pro Bowls as a Left Tackle and got franchised tagged by the Bills. I do have a feeling Greg Robinson will turn his career around in Detroit and the Cards could have had him if they had offered a 6th when the Rams went and paid Whitworth as there were no other takers at the time .... Decker goes down for the Lions who then were desperate but still only had to give up a 6th for a former 2nd pick in the draft.

Here is an excerpt from this article about the Lions OL coach improving their lineman's technique: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...ions-bob-quinn

Guess who else came out of college with question marks on pass protection? Whatever the issues were with Taylor Decker, the Lions got it all worked out:

"As a linemen you have to be consistent," Decker said. "I think that's the name of the game as being a linemen. So, just staying square in pass protection, and keeping proper footwork, don't get overextended and things like that. There's so many little subtleties that I know coach (Ron) Prince will coach me up on, and I think he's going to make me a much, much better player."

I have made the argument in the past that seeing how Lions coaches were able to teach a number of young players to fix particular technique issues inspires confidence that they can do the same again. Ron Prince has done great work with Taylor Decker and Joe Dahl on technical stuff, so there is good reason to believe he can do a solid job with Greg Robinson. This is a good match of phenomenal athletic talent, modest acquisition price, and Detroit coaching capabilities.
    Speaking as one who disagreed with you at the time, you were right about Glenn and I was wrong. He really blossomed. I'm stunned he's as good as a pass protector as he his. He truly shows a ton of heart.

I also have no idea why anyone would argue against giving up a late round pick for an athletic young man who played for a terrible franchise. Detroit made a heck of a trade here. (Low risk high reward) Just to use hind sight, our 6th rounders under the BASK era have been Ellington, Powell, Miller, Swope, and Ford. Why would anyone fret over giving up those guys for a risk on a high talent guy?

Am I wrong in this or did I see that his contract is only $3M for one more season?
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Speaking as one who disagreed with you at the time, you were right about Glenn and I was wrong. He really blossomed. I'm stunned he's as good as a pass protector as he his. He truly shows a ton of heart.

I also have no idea why anyone would argue against giving up a late round pick for an athletic young man who played for a terrible franchise. Detroit made a heck of a trade here. (Low risk high reward) Just to use hind sight, our 6th rounders under the BASK era have been Ellington, Powell, Miller, Swope, and Ford. Why would anyone fret over giving up those guys for a risk on a high talent guy?

Am I wrong in this or did I see that his contract is only $3M for one more season?
    $3.2M 1 yr -- https://overthecap.com/player/greg-robinson/2941/

Well then I suppose if he is any good in detroit, we can sign him next season as a free agent.

The real question is do we really think that G. Robinson was going to show up at training camp, ready to practice at Guard (a position he hasn't played in years), with no familiarity in the scheme, and beat out the guys who are currently playing there? Does anybody really think he was gonna beat out Iupati? Do we want Robinson to come in here and make both of our last 2, 4th round picks irrelevant, could he even take a Guard spot from those guys with only training camp remaining?

I am not saying our current starters are world beaters but... Boehm played well at the position last year, Iupati is not going anywhere this year, and Dorian Johnson is a **** of a prospect.

A 6th round pick was fine value on Robinson, the problem is we may well have made the trade and never got to see him suit up in a live game. He might have been amazing in college or for 3 games as a rookie. But I would bet, that talent would not materialize itself in the time he has available at training camp in a 3 way battle.

Might be a missed opportunity, but this is not like not trading for Brees, a potential minor upgrade at RG will not push us over the top this year.
    Last edited by CARdizzles; 06-19-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Thats too much money for a 3rd string bust. Situation where his name outshines his performance.

I know in the grand scheme of the NFL $3M is a small amount. But consider only 12 guys on our roster make over $3M on the cap. $3M is ALOT to most NFL players who average closer to $1M. Odds are he will be making more than alot of guys ahead of him on the depth chart.
    Last edited by Zaz; 06-19-2017 at 11:58 AM.