Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The heat is on

Default The heat is on

Thought I would mention to Board members from the other 49 states -- Arizonians have their toughness baked in. Literally. Downstate folks are very tough hombres. PHX temps hit 118F today and the first day of summer officially begins tomorrow. I don't know how locals live when the heat is turned on like this.

Just wondering, how are staff and players managing the outrageous daytime heat? Does staff sweat inside the toaster all day or head to the high country to scheme, train and workout, and maybe practice a bit when no one is watching? Stay cool my western friends.

its HOT and i`m from the the cool country of AZ (107 today)
    if and old man like me can work in it all day them kids can handle a warm day
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

It's HOT and I'm sure they're backing off the work on the fields for the rookies and anyone else. It's not safe. My son's summer baseball games are cancelled, but my daughter has been practicing volleyball in an indoor gym with swamp coolers that aren't getting the place below 92 degrees at best. I did some work in the yard and around the pool today, temps said 117. We get used to it but don't push it too hard.

It's hot. Car and phone booth topped out at 122. I don't know what the official temp was.

ABC 15 is reporting 119 as the official temp

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    ABC 15 is reporting 119 as the official temp
    In the shade.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Thought I would mention to Board members from the other 49 states -- Arizonians have their toughness baked in. Literally. Downstate folks are very tough hombres. PHX temps hit 118F today and the first day of summer officially begins tomorrow. I don't know how locals live when the heat is turned on like this.

Just wondering, how are staff and players managing the outrageous daytime heat? Does staff sweat inside the toaster all day or head to the high country to scheme, train and workout, and maybe practice a bit when no one is watching? Stay cool my western friends.

Perhaps Willis Carrier should be put in the Cardinals ring of honor.

I live in Illinois, so I have no idea what 119 degrees feels like.

What got me was they said airline flights were canceled because of the heat. I thought why.

Finally it was explained. I'm kind of a science guy, but the reason didn't occur to me.

I knew hot air expands and therefore becomes less dense. I didn't realise it would be significant enough to cause a plane's wing lift to be so dangerously low that it might cause a problem.

Learn something everyday.....
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

I think its just small planes they grounded,last year they were saying the asphalt was melting..lol..but that was a fib
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

SRP has had a tough time with the power in my neighborhood in Chandler. Monday after I got home from work it went off for a few seconds, came back on so I reset my clocks. Goes off again a few times for a few seconds each time. I wait until bedtime to reset my alarm clock and set my phone in case of an overnight failure. Tuesday I get home from work with clocks flashing, 15 minutes earlier the power went out. Here's where it gets good. No less than 10 times over the next 2+ hours it repeats the scenario from Monday. Finally at 7:15 the big kahuna, power outage but not back on in a few seconds. So I wait five minutes and decide to go find some A/C so I head to a local tavern to enjoy a cold one and finish watching the DBacks lose a tough one to the Rockies. SRP says they will have it fixed by 9:15, that deadline passes and they say 11:15, finally about 9:45 I decide to go back home and grab a few things to take to a hotel. But when I go back my power is on, so I figure they fixed the bigger issue. I get home yesterday and no flashing clocks, so yep they got it fixed. Nope, not 15 minutes later I get my first quickie power outage, and I get another 4 or 5 before bedtime and my next clock reset. So today is a new day and I will see what SRP has in store for me when I get home.

On the plus side I can set the time on my stove, microwave and alarm clock in rapid fashion. Practice makes perfect.