Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our 2017 Cards - QB

Default Our 2017 Cards - QB

Boards getting a little stale. Not much going on at this time of the year. So with that I'm going to give you the way I see the Cards this year. I'm going to go position by position over the next 8 weeks. If your looking for someone who only sees through rose colored glasses your going to be highly disappointed. I'll tell it like I see it. Disagree or agree I don't care. This is how I see the Cards turning out this year.

Now a little about me. First I'm old. I have been following the Cards since they were in Chicago. I've seen the good and bad. Mostly bad. Saw a lot of individual great players. Not so many Cards teams that I could say that about. So with that stated lets delve in. Starting with the QB position.

Palmer as we know is our starting QB. He is good but not great. I doubt very seriously if he will ever make the HOF. He isn't in the top elite QB in football now or ever. Next rung down. He has his good points and bad points. His scouting report coming out of college was spot on. Good arm. A pocket passer. Can make all the throws. Get pressure up the middle and make him get off his spot and he becomes less accurate and had a tendency to throw picks. Hit him early in the game and he starts hearing foot steps. Which cause him to get rid of the ball sooner than the play calls for. Don't know if he will ever make elite status because of his short cummings. Might be able to win a SB with him if he has the rest of the team around him.

Can we win a SB with Palmer. Good question. Maybe if everything goes perfect. He isn't know to step up in big games. More like choke. Like he did in Carolina a couple years ago. Had 6 turn overs. You don't win anything when your team has 6 turn overs. Especially when it's the QB.

Stanton is not a good QB. Just glad we never had to play him as a starter for a couple of seasons. We would have been drafting in the top 10 those years. Guy has been in the league for over 10 years. Never was a starter or considered as one by other teams. That to me says it all. Plus the fact he really isn't a good back up. Would rather have Derrick Anderson. The only thing Stanton will be remembered for is his dance on the side lines at the hawks game. Time to part ways with him. Again would rather have Barkley.

Gabbert is a total unknown. Been in the league for a while now. Always with crappy teams. Has had 7 O coordinators in his 7 years in the league. No consistency what so ever in an offensive system. Plus his O lines have been pretty bad. Both teams he has been on have been pretty bad. Scouting report similar to Palmers. Get pressure up the middle. Hit him early and often. Can make all the throws. Rocket for an arm. Smart. Can also scramble and pick up yards. We've seen that one first hand. Also mainly a pocket passer. I fully expect Blaine to be QB #2 by the end of camp. He is better than Stanton by a mile. The question is.....is he good enough with coaching and some offensive consistency to be the Cards QBOF for the next 2 to 7 years. I think that is what SK is hoping for. Give the Cards more time to find their next QBOF.

Knight is nothing more than a camp arm. College stats similar to Logan Thomas. Which really doesn't say much. Don't think he is better than Barkley. Not even close. I don't see him even making the practice squad by the end of camp.

Well that's how I see our Cards QB. We can wins some with Palmer. Just not sure we can win the big one with him. His history says we can't.

Next week I'll do the RB.
    Last edited by RimrockCard; 07-01-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Default Gabbert

I agree that Gabbert will be probably number 2 by end of camp, I hope so, because we don't have much behind Palmer. Gabbert's main differentiator from Palmer is his ability to scramble. If he can throw well on the run, then he has a shot at QBOF.

Quote Originally Posted by CardinalMan View Post
    I agree that Gabbert will be probably number 2 by end of camp, I hope so, because we don't have much behind Palmer. Gabbert's main differentiator from Palmer is his ability to scramble. If he can throw well on the run, then he has a shot at QBOF.
    If Gabbert has a clean pocket most pass plays he won't have to run. Win win. QofF.

Quote Originally Posted by CardinalMan View Post
    That "ability to scramble" could turn out to be either a blessing or a curse for Gabbert. He has to demonstrate that he can stand in the pocket to let routes develop. To step up in the pocket while trusting his O line. To make minor adjustments, side stepping pressure, while keeping his eyes down field.
    I really hope he can show clearly that these are things he's capable of. I love that he CAN scramble, but I hope he saves that and uses it judiciously.

I love when a D trusts that a QB won't run and then the guy rips off a bunch of yardage in their face to their chagrin.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Boards getting a little stale. Not much going on at this time of the year. So with that I'm going to give you the way I see the Cards this year. I'm going to go position by position over the next 8 weeks. If your looking for someone who only sees through rose colored glasses your going to be highly disappointed. I'll tell it like I see it. Disagree or agree I don't care. This is how I see the Cards turning out this year.

Now a little about me. First I'm old. I have been following the Cards since they were in Chicago. I've seen the good and bad. Mostly bad. Saw a lot of individual great players. Not so many Cards teams that I could say that about. So with that stated lets delve in. Starting with the QB position.

Palmer as we know is our starting QB. He is good but not great. I doubt very seriously if he will ever make the HOF. He isn't in the top elite QB in football now or ever. Next rung down. He has his good points and bad points. His scouting report coming out of college was spot on. Good arm. A pocket passer. Can make all the throws. Get pressure up the middle and make him get off his spot and he becomes less accurate and had a tendency to throw picks. Hit him early in the game and he starts hearing foot steps. Which cause him to get rid of the ball sooner than the play calls for. Don't know if he will ever make elite status because of his short cummings. Might be able to win a SB with him if he has the rest of the team around him.

Can we win a SB with Palmer. Good question. Maybe if everything goes perfect. He isn't know to step up in big games. More like choke. Like he did in Carolina a couple years ago. Had 6 turn overs. You don't win anything when your team has 6 turn overs. Especially when it's the QB.

Stanton is not a good QB. Just glad we never had to play him as a starter for a couple of seasons. We would have been drafting in the top 10 those years. Guy has been in the league for over 10 years. Never was a starter or considered as one by other teams. That to me says it all. Plus the fact he really isn't a good back up. Would rather have Derrick Anderson. The only thing Stanton will be remembered for is his dance on the side lines at the hawks game. Time to part ways with him. Again would rather have Barkley.

Gabbert is a total unknown. Been in the league for a while now. Always with crappy teams. Has had 7 O coordinators in his 7 years in the league. No consistency what so ever in an offensive system. Plus his O lines have been pretty bad. Both teams he has been on have been pretty bad. Scouting report similar to Palmers. Get pressure up the middle. Hit him early and often. Can make all the throws. Rocket for an arm. Smart. Can also scramble and pick up yards. We've seen that one first hand. Also mainly a pocket passer. I fully expect Blaine to be QB #2 by the end of camp. He is better than Stanton by a mile. The question is.....is he good enough with coaching and some offensive consistency to be the Cards QBOF for the next 2 to 7 years. I think that is what SK is hoping for. Give the Cards more time to find their next QBOF.

Knight is nothing more than a camp arm. College stats similar to Logan Thomas. Which really doesn't say much. Don't think he is better than Barkley. Not even close. I don't see him even making the practice squad by the end of camp.

Well that's how I see our Cards QB. We can wins some with Palmer. Just not sure we can win the big one with him. His history says we can't.

Next week I'll do the RB.
    I can`t disagree with a word you said..Good post
    The Big A era begins

Itancan we disagree sometimes but not today. Good post.

I think in this offseason we didn't get what many of us hoped for in a drafted QBOF, but may well have found a very solid QB2 who fits the profile of a BA QB, and that's not a bad thing at all. I think he replaces Stanton, who has never been good but did win some games with us. Not for us...with us.

There is also a small chance Gabbard shows he can be our QBOF. He has the pedigree and ability but IMO has not had the right situation. My expectation is QB2, but there is a better chance for more with him than with Thomas, Barkley, etc. I wanted to keep Barkley over Stanton.

My hope is that we don't get stuck seeing just enough out of him to skip on pursuing a top FA or draftable rookie QB if one is available next season. This is all assuming Palmer is done after this season, which my gut tells me is correct. However, if we take a shot on him for 2018, he shouldn't be that expensive, and if he crashes and burns we could probably jump right back in to the QB FA and draft mix in 2019 and keep him as a number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Itancan we disagree sometimes but not today. Good post.

I think in this offseason we didn't get what many of us hoped for in a drafted QBOF, but may well have found a very solid QB2 who fits the profile of a BA QB, and that's not a bad thing at all. I think he replaces Stanton, who has never been good but did win some games with us. Not for us...with us.

There is also a small chance Gabbard shows he can be our QBOF. He has the pedigree and ability but IMO has not had the right situation. My expectation is QB2, but there is a better chance for more with him than with Thomas, Barkley, etc. I wanted to keep Barkley over Stanton.

My hope is that we don't get stuck seeing just enough out of him to skip on pursuing a top FA or draftable rookie QB if one is available next season. This is all assuming Palmer is done after this season, which my gut tells me is correct. However, if we take a shot on him for 2018, he shouldn't be that expensive, and if he crashes and burns we could probably jump right back in to the QB FA and draft mix in 2019 and keep him as a number 2.
    my exact fear...if the Cards are out of playoff contention...BG lights it up in the last 2 games..we don`t need no stinking QB
    The Big A era begins

Agree on the eval of our current QB situation.

I thought that Barkley not only outplayed Stanton for the #2 but also saw him having the competitive drive to not be satisfied as a backup but to push to be the starter. Wish we knew the full details of the Barkley time with the Cards. I think he left instead of accepting a practice squad spot in order to compete for the starter's job with the Bears. He knew he won the #2 spot and saw the politics when that didn't happen. That is one trait I'd like to see in any player brought to the team---the desire to be the starter.

Card's are pretty tight-lipped when it comes to full disclosure of a player's injuries. Again, wish we knew the full extent of Palmer's finger injury going into the playoffs. His Carolina performance has to be appreciated in contrast to the how bad the finger was. Plenty of errant passes early in that game, other players with jitters, then everything snowballed out of control with 6 Int. If the finger was worse than reported, there is hope that Palmer can perform better in future playoffs/big games. If the finger was a non-factor . . . well, we're looking at choke with a capital C.

It would be so sweet if Gabbert clicks on all cylinders with BA, the O, our WRs, the rest of the team. We wouldn't have to bumble through the QB search and perhaps years of guys with 'moxie' or 'grit' but no talent.

Look forward to future position breakdowns.

Great post. Like others have said already, not much to disagree with. Perhaps my only small quibble....and I fully admit to being prejudice...Trevor Knight. He has the same last name as me...maybe a distant relative.....I gotta root for him to at least make the practice squad....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post

Now a little about me. First I'm old. I have been following the Cards since they were in Chicago.
    Wow, you are an old dude.... I thought I was old. When I started watching the cards, Charley Winner was the coach, Charley Johnson was the QB, and Lyndon B. Johnson was the president. I was only 9 years old when the cards moved to St Louis, so I have no memory of the Chicago Cards.

Anyhow, I will be looking forward to your future post.This is a good time to have a sober evaluation of our team. It might be fun to review what is said here at the end of the year.

For me, 2017 is going to be one of the more interesting seasons in recent memory. We have so many young players that are on the cusp....are they going to be a bust, improve, or maybe become stars. Then we have older players. Are they done, or do they still have gas in the tank.

I can't wait.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Thank you, well done. Palmer may surprise, as he did in 2015. He is healthy ( yes older ) has a great RB to balance the offense. With proper protection and healthy receivers and a solid defense he may win that SB ring and with more then 300 TD's ( needs 15 ) to his credit who knows regarding the HOF. I know I would love to see it happen.
    Last edited by Oregonredbird; 06-23-2017 at 09:09 PM.