Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our 2017 Cards - QB

The answer is yes, Palmer can win the Super Bowl as the Cards quarterback because he doesn't have to do it alone. He has a complete team. Badger is waiting to destroy as that X factor, the defense can rush the passer, David Johnson, TJ Logan, Reddick, Dansby, Dawson, oline is better, solid draft this year, good wide receivers, 2 good blocking TEs. So much was left on the field last season in points, yards. They got greedy and threw deep too many times when they had stuff underneath. I expect a more conservative offense and they'll be better. They'll still take their shots of course but I expect more David Johnson, TJ Logan plays.

As Far as Gabbert is concerned, just another Steve Keim genius special.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Logan is a rookie. Probably return kicks is all. I'll wait and see on both Dansby and Badger. Dansby is 35 hand has lost at least a step if not more. Badger is a big question mark at this time. I don't think the D is going to be anywhere near what it was last year. You don't replace 5 starters and not miss a beat. This D in the last few years has been good. It's never been elite. We don't know how much CC is going to be missed. Even with a healthy Badger at safety, that only 1 person. We had 2 very good safeties patrolling back there last year. They will be missed.

RE: Logan. Bidwill was very excited when talking about him, saying he is REALLY FAST, even faster than Smoke and that Arians already has put plays in the playbook especially for TJ.

Default Stats and Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    RE: Logan. Bidwill was very excited when talking about him, saying he is REALLY FAST, even faster than Smoke and that Arians already has put plays in the playbook especially for TJ.
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacard...stics?team=ari

Stats don't lie. The 2016 Cardinals were good, in fact, better than a few playoff teams. The truth was that quirks of the game and a few questionable coaching decisions contributed to outsized negatives and the early season losses that the 2016 Cardinals could not overcome later. The Cardinals earned their 7-win record.

There is legitimate fan concern that the 2017 Defense will be weakened by key player losses to FA and uncertainty about newer player development. No one knows if BA's offense also can still produce 26+ points avg per game, 6th best in the League. I'm confident the GM is doing his job and signing up talent. I'm confident the HC understands his players and will maximize the talent available on Sunday.

I'm not at all confident that all breaks will come our way and coaches will make the best decisions in 2017. This team 2017 is still good in the stats column. W-L TBD.

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogsCards View Post
    The answer is yes, Palmer can win the Super Bowl as the Cards quarterback because he doesn't have to do it alone. He has a complete team. Badger is waiting to destroy as that X factor, the defense can rush the passer, David Johnson, TJ Logan, Reddick, Dansby, Dawson, oline is better, solid draft this year, good wide receivers, 2 good blocking TEs. So much was left on the field last season in points, yards. They got greedy and threw deep too many times when they had stuff underneath. I expect a more conservative offense and they'll be better. They'll still take their shots of course but I expect more David Johnson, TJ Logan plays.

As Far as Gabbert is concerned, just another Steve Keim genius special.
    Gabbert has the physical tools to throw the ball downfield like Palmer and be a strong pocket passer. I don't see Arians scripting plays that have him outside the pocket very often but what I am most curious to see is how he moves in the pocket when pass protection breaks down. Is his instinct to run outside the pocket away from the pressure or slide around just enough to get a window to complete a pass like Palmer and Rodgers do very, very well. That to me is the one thing BG needs to learn from Carson...that pocket presence and knowing where the rush is coming from and finding that soft spot to slide into, keep his eyes downfield and hit his receivers in route.

I'm not interested in seeing him run around like Russell Wilson and trying to make plays up as they break down.
    Last edited by boomer719; 06-25-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Boards getting a little stale. Not much going on at this time of the year. So with that I'm going to give you the way I see the Cards this year. I'm going to go position by position over the next 8 weeks. If your looking for someone who only sees through rose colored glasses your going to be highly disappointed. I'll tell it like I see it. Disagree or agree I don't care. This is how I see the Cards turning out this year.

Now a little about me. First I'm old. I have been following the Cards since they were in Chicago. I've seen the good and bad. Mostly bad. Saw a lot of individual great players. Not so many Cards teams that I could say that about. So with that stated lets delve in. Starting with the QB position.

Palmer as we know is our starting QB. He is good but not great. I doubt very seriously if he will ever make the HOF. He isn't in the top elite QB in football now or ever. Next rung down. He has his good points and bad points. His scouting report coming out of college was spot on. Good arm. A pocket passer. Can make all the throws. Get pressure up the middle and make him get off his spot and he becomes less accurate and had a tendency to throw picks. Hit him early in the game and he starts hearing foot steps. Which cause him to get rid of the ball sooner than the play calls for. Don't know if he will ever make elite status because of his short cummings. Might be able to win a SB with him if he has the rest of the team around him.

Can we win a SB with Palmer. Good question. Maybe if everything goes perfect. He isn't know to step up in big games. More like choke. Like he did in Carolina a couple years ago. Had 6 turn overs. You don't win anything when your team has 6 turn overs. Especially when it's the QB.

Stanton is not a good QB. Just glad we never had to play him as a starter for a couple of seasons. We would have been drafting in the top 10 those years. Guy has been in the league for over 10 years. Never was a starter or considered as one by other teams. That to me says it all. Plus the fact he really isn't a good back up. Would rather have Derrick Anderson. The only thing Stanton will be remembered for is his dance on the side lines at the hawks game. Time to part ways with him. Again would rather have Barkley.

Gabbert is a total unknown. Been in the league for a while now. Always with crappy teams. Has had 7 O coordinators in his 7 years in the league. No consistency what so ever in an offensive system. Plus his O lines have been pretty bad. Both teams he has been on have been pretty bad. Scouting report similar to Palmers. Get pressure up the middle. Hit him early and often. Can make all the throws. Rocket for an arm. Smart. Can also scramble and pick up yards. We've seen that one first hand. Also mainly a pocket passer. I fully expect Blaine to be QB #2 by the end of camp. He is better than Stanton by a mile. The question is.....is he good enough with coaching and some offensive consistency to be the Cards QBOF for the next 2 to 7 years. I think that is what SK is hoping for. Give the Cards more time to find their next QBOF.

Knight is nothing more than a camp arm. College stats similar to Logan Thomas. Which really doesn't say much. Don't think he is better than Barkley. Not even close. I don't see him even making the practice squad by the end of camp.

Well that's how I see our Cards QB. We can wins some with Palmer. Just not sure we can win the big one with him. His history says we can't.

Next week I'll do the RB.
    We can argue how good Carson Palmer is or isn't. I would argue that SB history has had plenty of QB's Palmer compares favorably to who have won SB or at least gotten their teams to it. Here's a list of QB's who have gone to the SB some have gone multiple times, some have won multiple times. In my opinion, Palmer is as good or better than any of them. Of course there are others some might put Palmer in the argument with and some here you may disagree with. Personally when healthy I think both Doug Williams and Simms were better but I can't look at their careers and make that argument. Palmer isn't close to Tom Brady or Rodgers but he is a very good NFL QB by any standards.

Earl Morrall, Baltimore Colts
    Joe Kapp, Minnesota Vikings
    Craig Morton, Dallas Cowboys
    Bill Kilmer, Washington Redskins
    Craig Morton, Denver Broncos
    Vince Ferragamo, Los Angeles Rams
    Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders
    Ron Jaworski, Philadelphia Eagles
    Ken Anderson, Cincinnati Bengals
    Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins
    David Woodley, Miami Dolphins
    Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears
    Tony Eason, New England Patriots
    Phil Simms, New York Giants
    Doug Williams, Washington Redskins
    Boomer Esiason, Cincinnati Bengals
    Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants
    Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins
    Stan Humphries, San Diego Chargers
    Neil O'Donnell, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Drew Bledsoe, New England Patriots
    Chris Chandler, Atlanta Falcons
    Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens
    Kerry Collins, New York Giants
    Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Rich Gannon, Oakland Raiders
    Jake Delhomme, Carolina Panthers
    Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles
    Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle Seahawks
    Rex Grossman, Chicago Bears
    Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
    Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by boomer719 View Post
    Gabbert has the physical tools to throw the ball downfield like Palmer and be a strong pocket passer. I don't see Arians scripting plays that have him outside the pocket very often but what I am most curious to see is how he moves in the pocket when pass protection breaks down. Is his instinct to run outside the pocket away from the pressure or slide around just enough to get a window to complete a pass like Palmer and Rodgers do very, very well. That to me is the one thing BG needs to learn from Carson...that pocket presence and knowing where the rush is coming from and finding that soft spot to slide into, keep his eyes downfield and hit his receivers in route.

I'm not interested in seeing him run around like Russell Wilson and trying to make plays up as they break down.
    Yes, agreed. Gabbert was a good signing. Never forget when Phil Simms endorsed the hell out of him only to be fired an offseason later. I'd listen to Sims, knows his stuff. But besides that, Gabbert was on bad teams and is a good qb, one can see the skill. Keim essentially got him for 5 to 10 mill, a chance to start 2-3 years, assuming he comes up big.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

This thread should be labeled 'Our 2017 Cards - QB' not 'WR' Thanks

Boards getting a little stale. Not much going on at this time of the year. So with that I'm going to give you the way I see the Cards this year. I'm going to go position by position over the next 8 weeks. If your looking for someone who only sees through rose colored glasses your going to be highly disappointed. I'll tell it like I see it. Disagree or agree I don't care. This is how I see the Cards turning out this year.

Now a little about me. First I'm old. I have been following the Cards since they were in Chicago. I've seen the good and bad. Mostly bad. Saw a lot of individual great players. Not so many Cards teams that I could say that about. So with that stated lets delve in. Starting with the QB position.

Palmer as we know is our starting QB. He is good but not great. I doubt very seriously if he will ever make the HOF. He isn't in the top elite QB in football now or ever. Next rung down. He has his good points and bad points. His scouting report coming out of college was spot on. Good arm. A pocket passer. Can make all the throws. Get pressure up the middle and make him get off his spot and he becomes less accurate and had a tendency to throw picks. Hit him early in the game and he starts hearing foot steps. Which cause him to get rid of the ball sooner than the play calls for. Don't know if he will ever make elite status because of his short cummings. Might be able to win a SB with him if he has the rest of the team around him.

Can we win a SB with Palmer. Good question. Maybe if everything goes perfect. He isn't know to step up in big games. More like choke. Like he did in Carolina a couple years ago. Had 6 turn overs. You don't win anything when your team has 6 turn overs. Especially when it's the QB.

Stanton is not a good QB. Just glad we never had to play him as a starter for a couple of seasons. We would have been drafting in the top 10 those years. Guy has been in the league for over 10 years. Never was a starter or considered as one by other teams. That to me says it all. Plus the fact he really isn't a good back up. Would rather have Derrick Anderson. The only thing Stanton will be remembered for is his dance on the side lines at the hawks game. Time to part ways with him. Again would rather have Barkley.

Gabbert is a total unknown. Been in the league for a while now. Always with crappy teams. Has had 7 O coordinators in his 7 years in the league. No consistency what so ever in an offensive system. Plus his O lines have been pretty bad. Both teams he has been on have been pretty bad. Scouting report similar to Palmers. Get pressure up the middle. Hit him early and often. Can make all the throws. Rocket for an arm. Smart. Can also scramble and pick up yards. We've seen that one first hand. Also mainly a pocket passer. I fully expect Blaine to be QB #2 by the end of camp. He is better than Stanton by a mile. The question is.....is he good enough with coaching and some offensive consistency to be the Cards QBOF for the next 2 to 7 years. I think that is what SK is hoping for. Give the Cards more time to find their next QBOF.

Knight is nothing more than a camp arm. College stats similar to Logan Thomas. Which really doesn't say much. Don't think he is better than Barkley. Not even close. I don't see him even making the practice squad by the end of camp.

Well that's how I see our Cards QB. We can wins some with Palmer. Just not sure we can win the big one with him. His history says we can't.

Gee, thanks for that rundown.

Thanks for the breakdown. Good job.

Only those with Palmer goggles on would be able to refute those FACTS mixed in with your astute opinion.
    season ticket holder