Thread: Our 2017 Cards - RB

Default Our 2017 Cards - RB

Last week I covered the QB. This week I'm going to touch on the RB. Slowly but surely I'm going to go through the whole team position by position and even coaches. Then I'm going to give my prediction on how I see the season turning out. So on to the Rb.

It all starts with DJ. Some how some way this team lucked out getting this guy. As we all know SK was set to take another RB, but the Lions swooped in and drafter him before SK could. Thank you Detroit ! DJ may not be the best RB in the NFL but he is up there in the top 3. If it wasn't for his off field antics Bell from the Steelers I think is a tad better in all aspects. Elliott from the Cow girls is a better pure runner, but I don't think he is that pass catcher DJ is. DJ has a totally different skill set. He is a good runner, and a fantastic pass catcher. Basically another WR on the field. He also has more power than I gave him credit for. He is also very shifty. A lot of Lb and D backs can attest to that. He is our bell cow. He can make this offense or break it. If he gets hurt for any great length of time the Cards are in trouble. Not many backs can do everything he can as well as he can. He does need to work on his blitz pick ups. Only thing that's average about his game.

KW. The guy just produces. He isn't DJ, but he gets the job done. Was an option QB in school. Runs the wild cat very well. Would like to see about 5 or 6 different plays out of that formation. One with Palmer in motion into the backfield. Both DJ and KW run an option to the left with Palmer coming from the left. Then the option comes in. WK can keep it. Pitch to DJ if the end or LB targets him. Or pitch back to Palmer for a pass off that play. I'm not sure he is stout enough to take over for DJ if he goes down for a long period of time. He is more of a change of pace back Maybe 8 to 10 carries a game including the wild cat formation. Willing blocker but not much sand in his bottom end. Ok pass catcher but not DJ.

Penny is the dark horse I think of this team. From what I've heard he last some baby fat and is now more chiseled. I think he can be a guy that they can give some carries to and save the wear and tear on DJ. Liked what I saw from him in that last pre season game last year. Guy is a load. Can also catch passes better than I though. Might be able to get by with him for a game or two if DJ misses any time. More than just a between the tackles runner. Really excited for this kid this year. If he shows anything, he could set this team up very well in the RB room. Might not need to go out and get a vet then.

Logan is another smallish type. Only fast. I think his way to making the team this year is through special teams. I think they brought him in to take AE spot. I don't see him getting to many carries this year. To good a backs ahead of him. His contribution will be on kick offs and punt returns.

AE I think is in trouble on making the team. WE all know he isn't a very good runner. Sure he breaks one off every now and then. Most time it's either zero yards. Negative yards or maybe 2 yards at the most. He isn't good on special teams either. And to small on pass blocking to be very effective. They tried him at wide receiver as we all know, but that didn't work out either. So I'd be surprised if he makes the final 53. Just have better guys at the position he plays. Might be a trade candidate towards the end of training camp to a team looking for a pass catching RB.

Would love to have CJ back, but I don't think their is any room for him right now. Might be brought back sometimes during training camp. I think that all depends on how Perry works out. If Perry shows enough I don't think they look to an outside source to fill a rb position. Lot of if's on this team. But if KW and Penny work out along with DJ this team is set at RB for a while.

A lot is going to depend on the O line and how much room they give the RB to work with. But I could see this team having a better year this year and gaining more yards than they did last year.

Well that's my take on our RB. I see DJ ( given ) KW, Penny and Logan as our 4 RB coming out of training camp and making the final 53. AE is finally a numbers casualty simply because the Cards have better options. I also see him as a trade chip towards the end of camp if not sooner.

Thoughts ?

Agree in principle that Ellington is in a difficult spot as a RB. He has to avoid TC injury to beat out the roster competition. At his age (28) and experience (4 years) the odds are only 50/50 for AE to make the final BASK cut. Also in AE's favor now are his knowledge of BA's playbook, okay health, and the 1-year $905K contract. I've always liked AE's soft hands as a receiver. Too bad the WR option is off the table for AE this year.

If AE is traded, SK might get a 6th or 7th round future pick.

Suggestion: Label the thread with the position you are covering; "Our 2017 Cards - RB'

When I first saw this post I thought it was someone responding to the older post on the QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Suggestion: Label the thread with the position you are covering; "Our 2017 Cards - RB'

When I first saw this post I thought it was someone responding to the older post on the QBs.
    Clarified 2 thread titles. WR & RB.

AE reminds me of a guy who comes back from a war with PTSD.

A couple of years of hits and now anyone approach's AE and he goes down like a grenade just went off.

I thought he would be a poor man Daren Sproles.

Nope. He's just a crap running back.

We are super lucky to have DJ. He's great and humble. Wants to get better. Will make CP look better as he ages and declines.
    Last edited by AriS.; 07-02-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    season ticket holder

Very solid post again Itacan, I agree 100%. Looking forward to seeing Penny this pre-season as a poor man's DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    AE reminds me of a guy who comes back from a war with PTSD.

A couple of years of hits and now anyone approach's AE and he goes down like a grenade just went off.

I thought he would be a poor man Daren Sproles.

Nope. He's just a crap running back.

We are super lucky to have DJ. He's great and humble. Wants to get better. Will make CP look better as he ages and declines.
    War + PTSD are serious med stuff. No ha-ha's there. I'd use a different analogy. Just my thoughts. USN '76-'11.(Ret.)

Again, not much to disagree with.

Of the group of RB's, I think Penny is the most important wild card. If DJ were to go down, he is the only one with the size that can run over people. Pretty much all the other backs depend on speed. Speed is good, but sometimes you need a bull. Penny needs to prove he can do it.

I don't recall, but how many RB's do we usually carry 4 or 5 ?

If its 4 and barring injuries, I just don't see AE making the team. Hope he actually has trade value.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

BA usually likes to carry 4 on the active roster. Figure 2 are locks unless they get hurt. That's DJ and KW. Penny showed good last year in the 4th pre season game. He is also our only other big back, and can do some of the things DJ can. So that leaves 1 spot open between Logan and AE. Logan can play special teams and return kicks. AE isn't good at either. I just don't see AE making the final 53 and you can't stick him on the PS.