Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabbert vs Stanton

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...en-deal-season

The starter QB market is getting crazy. Whomever the Cardinals start in 2018 could be making a bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post

The starter QB market is getting crazy. Whomever the Cardinals start in 2018 could be making a bundle.
    Wonder who is driving the bus in regards to Cousins not signing a long-term deal with Washington?

I can see the team being cautious after all the $$$ they have tossed at players and FA who didn't pay off on the investment. Even more so, I can see Cousins betting on himself to improve his stock with a good year and then having his pick of teams---perhaps heading to SF as their new QB?

Cousins looks to be on the cusp of being a franchise guy. His stats with a mediocre Washington team are pretty decent:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CousKi00.htm

He is going to command / demand a top contract. The Cards have a lot of players coming due on their contracts next year and the Cards may well have the money. It would be a very expensive high roller gamble to compete in the open market for Cousins.

All the more reason to hope our bargain basement signing of Gabbert pays off. I'd rather see him (or anyone) succeed and not force the Cards into salary cap Hell by tossing a big part of the cap to one QB gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    those 2 will strengthen the team..100% right,they will help us slide right into a top 5 draft pick..as far as weak stomachs,,ha city boy you don`t even want to go there
    1. QB battles for any QB position helps the team. No competition is when it hurts.
    2. Not sure where you come up with "city boy"? Small town/country boy from the Missouri hills. Was hunting and putting meat on the table by the time I was 12. Started to learned how to skin animals when I was 5. So take your "city boy" insult and sit on it Rimrock. You're speaking from the wrong end of your body.

JosEPh

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    1. QB battles for any QB position helps the team. No competition is when it hurts.
    2. Not sure where you come up with "city boy"? Small town/country boy from the Missouri hills. Was hunting and putting meat on the table by the time I was 12. Started to learned how to skin animals when I was 5. So take your "city boy" insult and sit on it Rimrock. You're speaking from the wrong end of your body.

JosEPh
    Yes sir..consider it sat on,,i really hope you get to browbeat me for years to come over the Gabbert deal
    The Big A era begins

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post

I don't see us paying that kid of money unless it's a QB like Luck. IMO we will make a move and get our QB in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Wonder who is driving the bus in regards to Cousins not signing a long-term deal with Washington?

I can see the team being cautious after all the $$$ they have tossed at players and FA who didn't pay off on the investment. Even more so, I can see Cousins betting on himself to improve his stock with a good year and then having his pick of teams---perhaps heading to SF as their new QB?

Cousins looks to be on the cusp of being a franchise guy. His stats with a mediocre Washington team are pretty decent:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CousKi00.htm

He is going to command / demand a top contract. The Cards have a lot of players coming due on their contracts next year and the Cards may well have the money. It would be a very expensive high roller gamble to compete in the open market for Cousins.

All the more reason to hope our bargain basement signing of Gabbert pays off. I'd rather see him (or anyone) succeed and not force the Cards into salary cap Hell by tossing a big part of the cap to one QB gamble.
    http://www.nfl.com/newyous/story/0ap...n-kirk-cousins

See ref from 17 July. Answers your question. Joe Theisman is a straight talker. His view is that Cousins wants out of DC and is probably then en route to SF to play for his former HC pal in 2018. Owner Snyder appears to have folded his hand on this QBoftF. If all this pans out for Cousins, the 49ers are instantly a BIG threat in the NFCW.

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post

JosEPh
    QB battles for the No. 1 spot is almost never good for a team. What it indicates is the team doesn't have a No. 1 QB. In this case if Gabbert is competing with Stanton for No. 2 it doesn't really matter. If Gabbert is going to win the 2 spot and be the starting QB next year that's a win for the organization. If Gabbert proves he is nothing more than worse than Stanton, the competition is irrelevant. If he proves he is a No. 2 that is cheaper than Stanton it's a minor upgrade that won't impact the team very much at all.

QB competitions are generally a disaster for NFL teams unless they are in full rebuild.

Id rather keep a 2nd Punter on the game day roster than keep Stanton.

That guy hasnt earned his job in 3 years. Classic BA guy. Similar to Amos. BA will never ever fire one of his boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Id rather keep a 2nd Punter on the game day roster than keep Stanton.

That guy hasnt earned his job in 3 years. Classic BA guy. Similar to Amos. BA will never ever fire one of his boys.
    Typical response. Are you and Ari**S best buds now zaz? You both sure sound alike.

JosEPh

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    QB battles for the No. 1 spot is almost never good for a team. What it indicates is the team doesn't have a No. 1 QB. In this case if Gabbert is competing with Stanton for No. 2 it doesn't really matter. If Gabbert is going to win the 2 spot and be the starting QB next year that's a win for the organization. If Gabbert proves he is nothing more than worse than Stanton, the competition is irrelevant. If he proves he is a No. 2 that is cheaper than Stanton it's a minor upgrade that won't impact the team very much at all.

QB competitions are generally a disaster for NFL teams unless they are in full rebuild.
    I generally agree and support most of your posts Biggs, but not this one. When a Team has an established QB, the battles are good for the back ups. Stanton did his job in 2014 till the Rams tore up his knee. Now for the 1st time since he has some serious competition. BA knows this and is adding fuel to this particular fire. This Is Good for this Team. And if things pan out right there will be some gold in that pan too. I fully expect a spirited and serious battle for the #2 spot this TC and PS. And it will matter in the long run.

JosEPh
    Last edited by JosEPh_II; 07-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.