Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 99

Thread: Gabbert vs Stanton

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    We all know Gabbert has all the physical tools to be a success. Tall. Big arm. Can make all the throws, and can even scramble and pick up significant yards. What we don't know and won't until the preseason games is if Gabbert can increase his accuracy. Will he stay in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the ball. He has been banged around quite a bit with the 2 teams he has been on. We don't know if that ruined him or not. It did David Carr and others. We also don't know how well he will pick up BA's offense. This one I'm not to worried about. No he isn't Palmer and his knowledge of the offense. But if he can pick it up enough to play if Palmer goes down then were all right. It's the first two that I want to see if he can do.

    Were not getting another Warner in Gabbert. More like Palmer 2.0. If he can duplicate what Palmer does plus cut down on the int's then we have something moving forward. If not the search goes on

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    We all know Gabbert has all the physical tools to be a success. Tall. Big arm. Can make all the throws, and can even scramble and pick up significant yards. What we don't know and won't until the preseason games is if Gabbert can increase his accuracy. Will he stay in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the ball. He has been banged around quite a bit with the 2 teams he has been on. We don't know if that ruined him or not. It did David Carr and others. We also don't know how well he will pick up BA's offense. This one I'm not to worried about. No he isn't Palmer and his knowledge of the offense. But if he can pick it up enough to play if Palmer goes down then were all right. It's the first two that I want to see if he can do.

    Were not getting another Warner in Gabbert. More like Palmer 2.0. If he can duplicate what Palmer does plus cut down on the int's then we have something moving forward. If not the search goes on
    Arians has stated that Blain is already ahead where he thought he would be at this time regarding picking up the offense. This in my opinion is not going to be a problem or Blain being ruined by playing on less talented teams. If nothing else his past experience should help him.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Yes it is. Crazy how some people are writing the guy off. I think Gabbert is in the perfect situation for him here in AZ. A year learning the offense behind a pro like Palmer and showing what he has to BA and Keim. I doubt Palmer plays 2018. If he does, Gabbert is a play away from a shot at heading up a powerful offense backed by a strong defense.
    This!!!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    Obviously the key is "what he does going forward", that's equally true of any player in the league. Message boards are for speculation and opinion, if you want historical confirmation you have to wait a year, a decade, however long it takes, and look back at results. But that defeats the purpose of the forum. Nothing that's said here pro or con will effect outcomes one iota. that's a given. But crapping on posters for giving opinions or indulging in speculation here is a bit like going to a parade to shout at the spectators that you hate parades and think they're a big waste of time and money.
    he didn't crap on any poster.

    His "opinion" is to be realistic. No different from someone who pipes in with "the guy is going to be a star". Just another opinion. I've said things like "Brandon Williams is a BUST" and guys get all offended "how do you know that"? I don't. It's just my opinion . And usually I'm right. I said Campbell was going to go away and sign "a 4 year deal with a team like the Jags" while everyone was still hopeful he would forgo millions of dollars because some fans had his jersey.

    I'm with you though on the whole "crapping on people for their opinions". Guys like Joseph only want to hear straight FACTS or straight out compliments for the whole organization. Apple pie from mama waits for you I swear if Joseph likes you.
    season ticket holder

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    Maybe "crap on" is a bit strong, but the post was pretty dismissive of the discussion as a whole. "We have to wait and see". Well, duh, but some (most) fans have already written off Gabbert as a bust and a non entity. Particularly when he first signed. I'm giving reasons why that is premature, and think that Blaine is far more highly regarded by the people making their living in the game. That's all we can do. If nothing is said until the results come in, I don't think it would be worth maintaining a board.
    this is an opinion board. I'm all for stating your feelings in a strong way. CrazyCanuck and Joseph will get upset but that just makes it more fun.

    I like the Gabbert experiment. I think Itican says he's more Palmer 2.0. In a league with a severe deficiency of good QB's I would take that. MAybe Gabbert wouldn't choke in the playoffs like CP.
    season ticket holder

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    he didn't crap on any poster.

    His "opinion" is to be realistic. No different from someone who pipes in with "the guy is going to be a star". Just another opinion. I've said things like "Brandon Williams is a BUST" and guys get all offended "how do you know that"? I don't. It's just my opinion . And usually I'm right. I said Campbell was going to go away and sign "a 4 year deal with a team like the Jags" while everyone was still hopeful he would forgo millions of dollars because some fans had his jersey.

    I'm with you though on the whole "crapping on people for their opinions". Guys like Joseph only want to hear straight FACTS or straight out compliments for the whole organization. Apple pie from mama waits for you I swear if Joseph likes you.
    Oh for God's sake, what a CROCK. You're sitting there trying to make out like you were the sole and only person on the boards that had any idea CC might end up going away, while "everyone" else clung to a fantasy of him staying.
    It's one thing to voice an opinion, but it's quite another to try to peddle this monstrous pile of DUNG to anybody that might read it.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    Obviously the key is "what he does going forward", that's equally true of any player in the league. Message boards are for speculation and opinion, if you want historical confirmation you have to wait a year, a decade, however long it takes, and look back at results. But that defeats the purpose of the forum. Nothing that's said here pro or con will effect outcomes one iota. that's a given. But crapping on posters for giving opinions or indulging in speculation here is a bit like going to a parade to shout at the spectators that you hate parades and think they're a big waste of time and money.
    Don't present opinions as if they are facts. . . which is what you do. Your posts come across as 'insider' information when really all you have is elaborate fantasies. When you are challenged to back up your quotes and 'facts' and inside knowledge, you skip into your next rant.

    Simply indicate that you are giving an opinion if that is what you have. I'm fine with that and I'm sure plenty of others are as well. But please don't pretend superior knowledge and insight into a situation when you have none. If you continue to do that, I will take a big crap on your posts.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert ethan View Post
    Maybe "crap on" is a bit strong, but the post was pretty dismissive of the discussion as a whole. "We have to wait and see". Well, duh, but some (most) fans have already written off Gabbert as a bust and a non entity. Particularly when he first signed. I'm giving reasons why that is premature, and think that Blaine is far more highly regarded by the people making their living in the game. That's all we can do. If nothing is said until the results come in, I don't think it would be worth maintaining a board.
    Not dismissive of the thread as a whole. Just your ranting ** and pretensions to know all there is to know about CK and Gabbert and blah-blah-blah.

    Who are the fantasy people who make a living in the game who have high regards for Gabbert now that he is on to his third team? They sure were not lining up to bring him into their training camp to even compete for a backup QB position.

    Provide legitimate links to a source (other than BASK) who highly regard Gabbert. If not, stop with the pretension to superior insight into what other people think. Also, if you want to quote someone make sure that they said what you are highlighting with quotation marks. I never said "We have to wait and see." That is your imagination going haywire and not my statement.

    Of course other forum members have an opinion on Gabbert. Many are hopeful---but guess what---we've seen this movie before and many are skeptical and have a wait-and-see approach. (Quote me on that one) Not everyone is going to dance behind Gabbert like you on this forum or Stanton on the sidelines.

    BASK either saw something they like or, in my opinion, are desperate to find the next QB. And yes, now we are down to Gabbert's performance with this team, this preseason. Asking to see what he can do while in the spotlight is simply asking for tangible results instead of a constant barrage of lofty fantasy expectations and fanboy hyperbole.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville Illinois
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Don't mean to interrupt a spirited argument, but I wanted to get back to the OP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Two things about the signing of Gabbert. One I don't think SK has any faith in Stanton over the long haul if Palmer should go down. He also know Stanton isn't the QBOF so we all know he is still looking for that elusive piece to the puzzle. The other is. SK has nothing to loose with Gabbert. If he doesn't make it SK gave it a shot. If he turns out to be a bridge QB or the QBOF it's a win win for SK, and he has solved the puzzle for at least a couple of years if not longer.

    Personally I think if given a decent shot he beats Stanton out for the #2 spot. Stanton is nothing special, and never has been. He was just one of BA's boys on another team.
    While I mostly agree with this, I wonder about BA and what he wants. We all know BA likes Stanton. We also know that BA can be stubborn, even bullheaded, and maybe too loyal at times.

    Will his loyalty to Stanton get in the way? I wonder if signing Gabbert was all SK or both. To be honest, I don't know either way. I hope it was a mutual.

    I guess what I'm afraid of is BA may be reluctant to let Stanton go even if Gabbert shows promise.

    On another point that was made in this thread....

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    We also need to be realistic about the talent level on the Cards team. This early in the new season, every fan base for every team looks at their roster as potential contenders to the throne. Cards have numerous questions---has anyone forgotten that we lost several key starters on D and that our two stars on our offense were both considering retirement? There are major questions with almost every aspect of this team. It is only going to take one or two units to fail to send the season down the tubes (think Special Team play, WRs last year)

    Let's have some realistic expectations about both Gabbert and about the prospects for our team.
    I'm always optimistic, but maybe I should make this a sticky on my desktop to keep me grounded in reality.

    One last thought. I can't wait for training camp to start. Then we can start talking about what players are doing today rather than what they have done in the past.

    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC - Canada
    Posts
    7,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    this is an opinion board. I'm all for stating your feelings in a strong way. CrazyCanuck and Joseph will get upset but that just makes it more fun.

    I like the Gabbert experiment. I think Itican says he's more Palmer 2.0. In a league with a severe deficiency of good QB's I would take that. MAybe Gabbert wouldn't choke in the playoffs like CP.
    The only problem I've had with you is your penchant to constantly confuse opinion with fact.
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •