Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 114

Thread: Gabbert vs Stanton

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...en-deal-season

    The starter QB market is getting crazy. Whomever the Cardinals start in 2018 could be making a bundle.
    I don't see us paying that kid of money unless it's a QB like Luck. IMO we will make a move and get our QB in the draft.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    5,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Wonder who is driving the bus in regards to Cousins not signing a long-term deal with Washington?

    I can see the team being cautious after all the $$$ they have tossed at players and FA who didn't pay off on the investment. Even more so, I can see Cousins betting on himself to improve his stock with a good year and then having his pick of teams---perhaps heading to SF as their new QB?

    Cousins looks to be on the cusp of being a franchise guy. His stats with a mediocre Washington team are pretty decent:

    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CousKi00.htm

    He is going to command / demand a top contract. The Cards have a lot of players coming due on their contracts next year and the Cards may well have the money. It would be a very expensive high roller gamble to compete in the open market for Cousins.

    All the more reason to hope our bargain basement signing of Gabbert pays off. I'd rather see him (or anyone) succeed and not force the Cards into salary cap Hell by tossing a big part of the cap to one QB gamble.
    http://www.nfl.com/newyous/story/0ap...n-kirk-cousins

    See ref from 17 July. Answers your question. Joe Theisman is a straight talker. His view is that Cousins wants out of DC and is probably then en route to SF to play for his former HC pal in 2018. Owner Snyder appears to have folded his hand on this QBoftF. If all this pans out for Cousins, the 49ers are instantly a BIG threat in the NFCW.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    1. QB battles for any QB position helps the team. No competition is when it hurts.
    2. Not sure where you come up with "city boy"? Small town/country boy from the Missouri hills. Was hunting and putting meat on the table by the time I was 12. Started to learned how to skin animals when I was 5. So take your "city boy" insult and sit on it Rimrock. You're speaking from the wrong end of your body.

    JosEPh
    QB battles for the No. 1 spot is almost never good for a team. What it indicates is the team doesn't have a No. 1 QB. In this case if Gabbert is competing with Stanton for No. 2 it doesn't really matter. If Gabbert is going to win the 2 spot and be the starting QB next year that's a win for the organization. If Gabbert proves he is nothing more than worse than Stanton, the competition is irrelevant. If he proves he is a No. 2 that is cheaper than Stanton it's a minor upgrade that won't impact the team very much at all.

    QB competitions are generally a disaster for NFL teams unless they are in full rebuild.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    Id rather keep a 2nd Punter on the game day roster than keep Stanton.

    That guy hasnt earned his job in 3 years. Classic BA guy. Similar to Amos. BA will never ever fire one of his boys.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Id rather keep a 2nd Punter on the game day roster than keep Stanton.

    That guy hasnt earned his job in 3 years. Classic BA guy. Similar to Amos. BA will never ever fire one of his boys.
    I would counter that a reasonable person would say going 6-3 as a starter, sometimes in emergency duty, and also winning the 2014 Rams game after Palmer tore his ACL, is much much more than merely "earning" his job.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Id rather keep a 2nd Punter on the game day roster than keep Stanton.

    That guy hasnt earned his job in 3 years. Classic BA guy. Similar to Amos. BA will never ever fire one of his boys.
    Stanton has earned his pay check for the last three years as a back up QB.
    http://uproxx.com/sports/nfl-backup-qb-rankings/
    Last edited by Oregonredbird; 07-18-2017 at 03:24 PM.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    I would counter that a reasonable person would say going 6-3 as a starter, sometimes in emergency duty, and also winning the 2014 Rams game after Palmer tore his ACL, is much much more than merely "earning" his job.
    and Skelton went 5-2 in 2011 whats your point? Thats the most assbackwards logic.

    "Guy played OK 3 years ago so Ill ignore the previous 2 years of garbage". You know what his stats are in those "wins"? 9 TDs, 9 Ints. 45% accuracy. He is a horrible QB.

    Hes been beaten out in preseason going on 3x now

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,032

    Default

    Hopefully this battle is irrelevant and Carson plays a full 16, but I don't think either is on the roster a year from now

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    chandler AZ
    Posts
    4,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    and Skelton went 5-2 in 2011 whats your point? Thats the most assbackwards logic.

    "Guy played OK 3 years ago so Ill ignore the previous 2 years of garbage". You know what his stats are in those "wins"? 9 TDs, 9 Ints. 45% accuracy. He is a horrible QB.

    Hes been beaten out in preseason going on 3x now
    Was skelton the starter then? If he was, I cant remember, it's easier to prepare.

    I think I will agree with VA on this one. Stanton has done the job coming in. but that being said I would take Gabbert if he actually wins out in training camp. Knowing we need a starter next year , and knowing Stanton cannot be that guy, I would like to see Gabbert step up.

    Interesting this morning , Jurecki said Stanton is a "lock"" to be the backup this year and only way Gabbert makes the team is if Cards go with three QB's.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/newyous/story/0ap...n-kirk-cousins

    See ref from 17 July. Answers your question. Joe Theisman is a straight talker. His view is that Cousins wants out of DC and is probably then en route to SF to play for his former HC pal in 2018. Owner Snyder appears to have folded his hand on this QBoftF. If all this pans out for Cousins, the 49ers are instantly a BIG threat in the NFCW.
    Wash owner Snyder is not afraid to throw his money around at players so it makes sense that Cousins is the one looking at the future of the team and deciding to move on.

    This will be a make-or-break year for Cousins in terms of drawing FA interest and $$. If he puts up anything like the last two years, he'll write his own ticket. SF looks to be a the bottom of the league standings this year and then toward the top of the next draft. If they sign Cousins, they'll be able to fleece teams willing to move up into their draft position.

    Lots of things have to fall into place but you're right that Cousins to the 49ers could be a long-term headache in our Division.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •