Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians' new book

Default Bruce Arians' new book

"The Quarterback Whisperer" to be out on Tuesday.

Here is a bit of it that Florio had over at PFT today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...actical-joker/

When it comes to quarterbacks who are practical jokers, most of the stories we’ve heard over the years relate to guys like Brett Favre and Tom Brady. Manning apparently was a master, too.

“When Steve Walsh was his backup in 1999,” Arians writes, “Steve brushed his teeth like ten times a day. So one day Peyton bought a toothbrush that looked just like Steve’s. He then took a dump in the toilet, threw the toothbrush in there, and snapped a Polaroid of it.

“At lunch that afternoon he asked Steve if he had brushed his teeth that day. Steve said he had. Peyton slid the photo over to him, and Steve almost started throwing up.”
    The question of Daryl Washington.

I had no idea Arians was distracting himself with stuff like writing books. At least it's nowhere near as high profile as the "All or Nothing" fawn piece.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    I had no idea Arians was distracting himself with stuff like writing books. At least it's nowhere near as high profile as the "All or Nothing" fawn piece.
    You know....it might be mostly a collection of his memoirs. I really don't know, but maybe we could wait to find out before throwing a negative spin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    Oh stop it. You know darn well how these things are "written." A ghost writer goes out to dinner with you a couple times and records the conversations, then calls a few more times to clarify some things or add context. And then 6 months later- BOOM- a book is ready for publishing.

It's not like Bruce Arians took his family to an isolated hotel to watch the place over the dead of winter, and knocked out a book while throwing tennis balls against a wall and going bat crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Oh stop it. You know darn well how these things are "written." A ghost writer goes out to dinner with you a couple times and records the conversations, then calls a few more times to clarify some things or add context. And then 6 months later- BOOM- a book is ready for publishing.

It's not like Bruce Arians took his family to an isolated hotel to watch the place over the dead of winter, and knocked out a book while throwing tennis balls against a wall and going bat crazy.
    You're right about how the sausage gets made. What I don't like is this book is sure to create some stupid media fires and therefore be a distraction. Save the book writing for retirement. I feel the same way about players who pursue little acting or music or whatever "careers" while still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    You're right about how the sausage gets made. What I don't like is this book is sure to create some stupid media fires and therefore be a distraction. Save the book writing for retirement. I feel the same way about players who pursue little acting or music or whatever "careers" while still playing.
    Yeah. wouldn't be appropriate for anybody in the NFL to have a "hobby" or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Distraction to whom?
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    Yeah. wouldn't be appropriate for anybody in the NFL to have a "hobby" or anything.
    I don't have a problem with hobbies. I'm talking about "writing" books, "acting", or making music for mini second careers. For money and/or fame. Especially when it takes significant focus from the job someone has you under contract for and is paying you millions of dollars for. This book needs some fireworks that get reported if it's going to make money, and those fireworks will lead to media and questions and distractions. We don't need that right now. We saw what happened when some of our guys went Hollywood a bit after the "All or Nothing" success. No one's flying to camp in a helicopter this year I bet. They better not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Distraction to whom?
    This is the second story with excerpts from BA's new book I've seen in two days. The media is already bringing it up and will be asking BA and possibly players about it, instead of football. It shifts some focus. We saw it during and after "All or Nothing". I'm not saying they don't have a right to do it, I'm just saying I don't like it.

After the Amazon program and its success, I've seen plenty of stories of players and coaches hanging in Hollywood red carpets and accepting awards in New York. Good for them...but those aren't the awards Incare about as a paying fan. Championship banners. Lombardi. Super Bowl ring.

I saw a team last year that came in thinking too highly of themselves, and this off an embarrassing loss to Carolina. The unearned ego of high rankings and paper expectations, red carpets, flashy suits and helicopter rental bling. I'd hoped the results of the season re-focused everyone from the top down. BA can write all the memoirs he wants post retirement.

Default "Distraction To Whom?"

That response is 'spot on.' This is the dark basement of the offseason. The teams' staff, save the assistant to the assistant equipment manager, coaches and players are on vacation prior to reporting to camp.

There's no distraction to anyone, and there will be plenty of time before camp for the dust to settle if the media stirs any up. The book release now may be more of a benefit than you are thinking. If the infamous helicopter ride PP2 took last season irritated anyone or the drumbeat of us being a SB shoo-in made you cringe, it could be that BA is figuring that the book release will draw the media attention to him and away from the team. He could be gameplanning for the media to swarm to him and away from CP and Larry and bothering John Brown or Nkemdiche or any other 'story' they want to overplay.

It would not surprise me if BA, and that Cheshire Cat smile of his, is distracting the media from camp issues.