Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Jaron Brown & Kerwynn Williams

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhammer View Post
    Didn't BA express at one time early on that he wanted to be careful how he used Ellington because of his size, comparing him to a Steeler RB (whose name I can't recall) of similar size who got injured? Also wasn't there talk of moving him to WR?
    He may have, for some reason I don't recall that. To be fair we had Rashard Mendenhall in 2013 and then in '14 Robert Hughes (bigger backs), but they never became big contributing factors.

    Ellington actually wanted to move to WR this season, but there are too many other WR's looking for a spot right now for him to get much practice at the position.

    One thing: With his receiving ability I have to wonder why Andre has never really cut out a spot as a KR or PR. Possibly he doesn't relish the inherent contact or doesn't have much faith in the blocking schemes for that role, or a little of both?
    The question of Daryl Washington.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhammer View Post
    Didn't BA express at one time early on that he wanted to be careful how he used Ellington because of his size, comparing him to a Steeler RB (whose name I can't recall) of similar size who got injured? Also wasn't there talk of moving him to WR?
    He did according to this acticle.
    http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-...1-74de720fd97d

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonredbird View Post
    Yes, but a mere one year after Ellington's 2013 success (and Mendenhall's departure) BA saw Ellington as a 25-30 touches per game workhorse. Many of us thought that was nuts, as Ellington was too small for that type of wear and tear. Those of us that thought that skipped on drafting him in our fantasy leagues despite the promised unheard of touches, and were proven right.

    In May, BA again discussed his plan to get his RB 30 touches per game. But this time it's DJ, and DJ is no Ellington, and man I hope I get a few shares of DJ in my fantasy leagues.

    http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-car...ards-workhorse

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,526

    Default

    BA is pretty simple.

    He wants a 30 touch (but not 30 carry!...has to be a receiving threat) workhorse RB. He doesn't seem to feel the need for a wrecking ball short yardage traditional plodder RB. I think not having one guy like that has caused us to leave points off the board and cost our ability to drain the clock. He also wants small, fast, shifty specialty RBs for special plays.

    He want a pocket passer QB who is smart and can make the throws short, mid and deep.

    Because of this QB type, he wants an Oline that can pass protect and keep a long, nice pocket. But also one that can adapt to the needs for his 30 touch RB, switching from blocking on runs and helping on sweeps and short passes. Not an easy Oline to put together, and completely different from an Oline you would build for a Kaep or Wilson or a team built around a plodder RB.

    He wants TEs who help that Oline either keep that pocket clean or help those RBs. Only rarely are they the receivers. He didn't follow the trend of making TEs primarily receiving trends. I think some times that causes us to leave points off the board, especially in the red zone when he throws fades to little guys.

    He wants his WRs to have options at deep speed threat, sideline jump ball winners, and slot guys. It's not dependent one one star WR. His offense needs all three to succeed.

    It's a great, time tested offense when it has all the parts clicking and healthy.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Yea. Well were missing one of those pieces. This O line wasn't constructed to be that type of pass blocking unit. It's an ok pass blocking unit only if they don't do those long developing pass plays. This line needs for the ball to come out quicker for it to be successful. There isn't a one starter on this O line you would consider an elite pass blocker. Good sure. Elite no way.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Yea. Well were missing one of those pieces. This O line wasn't constructed to be that type of pass blocking unit. It's an ok pass blocking unit only if they don't do those long developing pass plays. This line needs for the ball to come out quicker for it to be successful. There isn't a one starter on this O line you would consider an elite pass blocker. Good sure. Elite no way.
    I agree for the most part. The Oline is really the only "weakness" for this offense to work like it did in 2015 or even better. That and remaining healthy. The Oline isn't too shabby though. Mostly worried about defense and ST.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville Illinois
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    BA is pretty simple.

    He wants a 30 touch (but not 30 carry!...has to be a receiving threat) workhorse RB. He doesn't seem to feel the need for a wrecking ball short yardage traditional plodder RB. I think not having one guy like that has caused us to leave points off the board and cost our ability to drain the clock. He also wants small, fast, shifty specialty RBs for special plays.

    He want a pocket passer QB who is smart and can make the throws short, mid and deep.

    Because of this QB type, he wants an Oline that can pass protect and keep a long, nice pocket. But also one that can adapt to the needs for his 30 touch RB, switching from blocking on runs and helping on sweeps and short passes. Not an easy Oline to put together, and completely different from an Oline you would build for a Kaep or Wilson or a team built around a plodder RB.

    He wants TEs who help that Oline either keep that pocket clean or help those RBs. Only rarely are they the receivers. He didn't follow the trend of making TEs primarily receiving trnds. I think some times that causes us to leave points off the board, especially in the red zone when he throws fades to little guys.

    He wants his WRs to have options at deep speed threat, sideline jump ball winners, and slot guys. It's not dependent one one star WR. His offense needs all three to succeed.

    It's a great, time tested offense when it has all the parts clicking and healthy.
    Thanks for this post. It's a spot on evaluation of what BA thinks and wants. I only wish I could put my thoughts into words as well as this and some others on this board.

    As you say...."His offense needs all three to succeed"... This the part I worry about, and if it doesn't, can/will BA adjust. We all know he can be stubborn.

    I know I am probably in the minority, but I'm not that big on Kerwynn Williams. Yes he has a high yards per carry, but a lot of that comes from wildcat type plays and yes he does that very well. But can he be a every down back? I will say I like him better than AE. He seems to be a little bit better at taking a hit. As long as DJ stays healthy....knock on wood...then it will be great to have KW around.

    I actually like Jaron Brown better. He has had limited time playing...and if memory serves me...I can't recall any dropped passes. In other words, he seems do what he was expected to do.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,582

    Default

    Guys I sure do appreciate ALL of these responses to my thread. Feel like I'm learning something here.
    Last edited by Redhammer; 07-09-2017 at 08:03 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    399

    Default

    My coffee cup almost went airborne when I read the pass-blocking comparison between KW and AE. There's nothing positive when one is terrible and the other aweful. This is not a knock on either of them. The courage of their hearts for what they are asked to do is admirable. But, being swift and elusive still limits their contribution and when playing as a single back actually simplifies the defense's response.

    It could be preferable to have CJ as DJ's backup for their skills are comparable. Why CJ isn't being persued may have more to do with money and playing time issues and I can understand that. If KW and AE are given all the workload in the first three exhibition games and prove less than thrilling then, providing he's still unsigned, CJ becomes a go-to option. There's no questioning his QB protection skills.

    Penny and the rookie may have a say in how things work out, also. Unlike KW and AE, even CJ, they will expected to contribute on ST's and I am interested in following them there.

    Back in the day courageous Marines were asked to be 'tunnel rats' which they excelled at. It was something this oversize Marine couldn't even attempt, but, there were other equally important tasks I could do that they could not. All's I know is that, while it wasn't the sole reason for our tie game with Seattle, when KW was assigned to protect on that blocked punt he was overwhelmed. An injury may have necessitated his being out there but KW was victimized when any bigger bench player would have fared better.

    What's that lexicon saying, "A man's got to know his limitations?" If BA persists in having KW as DJ's backup count me as questioning his judgement and plan?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Ah Tom Slick. You must have been in Nam. Wasn't that fun ? I'll bet you were glad you were over sized to be a tunnel rat. I can't imagine crawling down a dark tunnel with a 45, flashlight and knife and not knowing what around the next corner. I have the utmost respect for you people who were in country and fought the gooks. Not those REMF guys though.Thanks for your participation over there. I did 3 west pac cruises between 67 and 70. On the USS Coral Sea. Was an air dale on the flight deck. Sent the fast movers over to cover your butts.

    Never said this line doesn't have a chance to be good. Said it's not constructed to hold out D linemen for those long developing pass plays. Most of these guys on the starting unit are better run blockers than pass blockers. Only one that might be a better pass blocker than run blocker is Shipley. All the rest you look at their stats and all are better at run blocking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •