Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jaron Brown & Kerwynn Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Redhammer View Post
    Just curious if anyone else feel that these two guys are a bit under rated. They seem to have been reliable for the most part in the limited times they've been called upon. I can even remember a locker room scene where coach awarded JB the game ball. And now that he's healthy again and Floyd is gone, maybe he finally comes into his own (?). Williams has shown power and breakaway speed almost complimentary of David Johnson. I know he's not as high profiled as back ups Ellington or C. Johnson. I like these two guys and can't help wonder what more playing time would do.
    I think they're both very solid players. I really hope to see Brown have a big year this year with Hic Hic Floyd either in Minnesota or at the county lockup. I can't think of a time where Brown let me down. I guess the question is can he be that guy to take it to the next level? I think he can, especially with the bar set so low by Otis Floyd. Williams I've always had a huge soft spot for, always the odd man out who makes things happen when he gets the call. Sad part for him is that running backs are largely commoditized at this point and it's hard for him to leave a lasting mark. Bottom line, I'm right there with you in hoping they get more time on the field.

Both players have been clutch for the Cards when called upon.

Both contribute on special teams and both solid. I think Brown can replace Floyd if he is healthy. Thankfully we have Chad Williams in the mix too. I feel good about WR this year. Going forward we need a star to replace Larry.

There are plenty of preseason games (sadly) to get young WR reps. A lot of reps for back up QB's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    I think they're both very solid players. I really hope to see Brown have a big year this year with Hic Hic Floyd either in Minnesota or at the county lockup. I can't think of a time where Brown let me down. I guess the question is can he be that guy to take it to the next level? I think he can, especially with the bar set so low by Otis Floyd. Williams I've always had a huge soft spot for, always the odd man out who makes things happen when he gets the call. Sad part for him is that running backs are largely commoditized at this point and it's hard for him to leave a lasting mark. Bottom line, I'm right there with you in hoping they get more time on the field.

Yep......I'm feeling ya' brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Belac44 View Post
    Both players have been clutch for the Cards when called upon.

Both contribute on special teams and both solid. I think Brown can replace Floyd if he is healthy. Thankfully we have Chad Williams in the mix too. I feel good about WR this year. Going forward we need a star to replace Larry.

There are plenty of preseason games (sadly) to get young WR reps. A lot of reps for back up QB's as well.

Thanks for the shoutout, 'Itancan,' and for your service. One of my brothers-in-law served on an oiler servicing ships of Task Force 77 on Yankee Station during what may have been your second tour. Great guy but he passed a couple of years ago but not before he saw his first and third sons establish careers in our Navy. The oldest started off as an airdale, like you, and has been deployed three times. He's an E-8 now and overseeing the training of mechanics at Pensecola NAS. Four more years and he has his twenty. The youngest is a submariner, also three deployments, serving aboard 'Boomers' out of Charleston. You should hear those two jawjack over their respective importance to the Navy...his middle son is a Citrus County, Fl police officer.

Here's a odd story about 'tunnel rats.' Towards the end of my tour when I was 'short' a replacement was assigned to my platoon who soon was given the nickname,'Cochise.' He was Mexican by birth and talked about coming from the area where this famous Chief hid out and eluded the two countries Army units many years ago.

My unit was part of a 'sweep' southwest of Khe Sahn near the 'Trail' and our canine, 'Sgt. Schultz,' soon sniffed out a tunnel. And here jumps up Cochise to go tunnel diving before our 1st Lt. could 'volunteer' someone.
    So, armed with a .45 and a torch and fastened to a rescue rope down he goes. After awhile we hear a muffled explosion immediately followed by a much bigger on and smoke erupts out of the opening and a couple of others nearby. We pull out the rope but no Cochise. We kinda figure what must have happened and our 1st 'Looey' is beside himself for agreeing to send a rookie down the rat hole.

But, don't you know it we hear someone shouting from a nearby field of elephant grass and see a figure emerging from it... it's Cochise. And right away the Brothers in my squad break out in the loudest, kneeslapping laughter and then the rest of us join in. You see, Cochise was caked in dirt, like blackface, and he had the biggest white-toothed grin on his face. Boy, did the Brothers give him a razing and we all backslapped and welcomed his return to the land of the living.

Unknown to us Cochise had decided to take a grenade down the rat hole with him and when he was confronted he thru it and its detonation set off stored munitions. But, the explosion collapsed all but one of the escape routes. He couldn't return as he had come and luckily found a way out where he entertained us in his appearance.

I still remember how for the rest of the mission he was repeatedly told to shutup because he had suffered a stunning deafness and couldn't hear himself talk and his repeating how he would never be a 'rat' again because he had used up eight of his nine lives.

Yea, I think often of my comrades over the years they were outstanding Marines, a real Band-of-Brothers.

Wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to relate an incredible page from the history of your experiences in service Tom. I mean that.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    Thanks for the shoutout, 'Itancan,' and for your service. One of my brothers-in-law served on an oiler servicing ships of Task Force 77 on Yankee Station during what may have been your second tour. Great guy but he passed a couple of years ago but not before he saw his first and third sons establish careers in our Navy. The oldest started off as an airdale, like you, and has been deployed three times. He's an E-8 now and overseeing the training of mechanics at Pensecola NAS. Four more years and he has his twenty. The youngest is a submariner, also three deployments, serving aboard 'Boomers' out of Charleston. You should hear those two jawjack over their respective importance to the Navy...his middle son is a Citrus County, Fl police officer.

Here's a odd story about 'tunnel rats.' Towards the end of my tour when I was 'short' a replacement was assigned to my platoon who soon was given the nickname,'Cochise.' He was Mexican by birth and talked about coming from the area where this famous Chief hid out and eluded the two countries Army units many years ago.

My unit was part of a 'sweep' southwest of Khe Sahn near the 'Trail' and our canine, 'Sgt. Schultz,' soon sniffed out a tunnel. And here jumps up Cochise to go tunnel diving before our 1st Lt. could 'volunteer' someone.
    So, armed with a .45 and a torch and fastened to a rescue rope down he goes. After awhile we hear a muffled explosion immediately followed by a much bigger on and smoke erupts out of the opening and a couple of others nearby. We pull out the rope but no Cochise. We kinda figure what must have happened and our 1st 'Looey' is beside himself for agreeing to send a rookie down the rat hole.

But, don't you know it we hear someone shouting from a nearby field of elephant grass and see a figure emerging from it... it's Cochise. And right away the Brothers in my squad break out in the loudest, kneeslapping laughter and then the rest of us join in. You see, Cochise was caked in dirt, like blackface, and he had the biggest white-toothed grin on his face. Boy, did the Brothers give him a razing and we all backslapped and welcomed his return to the land of the living.

Unknown to us Cochise had decided to take a grenade down the rat hole with him and when he was confronted he thru it and its detonation set off stored munitions. But, the explosion collapsed all but one of the escape routes. He couldn't return as he had come and luckily found a way out where he entertained us in his appearance.

I still remember how for the rest of the mission he was repeatedly told to shutup because he had suffered a stunning deafness and couldn't hear himself talk and his repeating how he would never be a 'rat' again because he had used up eight of his nine lives.

Yea, I think often of my comrades over the years they were outstanding Marines, a real Band-of-Brothers.
    Awesome!!
    The Big A era begins

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post

Fantastic story, TS. Thanks.

On my Ensign deployment with the VF-2 Bounty Hunters aboard the USS Ranger, 1981, I met a grizzled Navy Mustang LT then assigned to the CVIC (carrier intelligence plot). The LT looked rode hard and put up wet a few times. I could tell from his soft-spoken manner and the respect he got from senior colleagues that he was 'overseas experienced.' At a formation one day, I also noted an unmistakable Purple Heart ribbon with 4 gold stars above his left khaki shirt pocket. That ribbon plus 4 stars = 5 Purple Heart Awards. I asked later how the LT managed that incredible feat. He then told me about his prior service with the USMC and infamous Nam tours in the late 1960s. He cited one of his surreal USMC Recon Battalion jobs. You guessed it: Tunnel Rat. I stood there in the USS Ranger's CVIC with my mouth gaping open. Dang, a no-kidding US hero, right there with me.

Just a thought: That Navy Mustang and Pat Tillman probably could have been good friends. Both had 'it.'

This is good stuff....and thanks to moderators that let it stay even though its not football. While I'm a Vietnam era veteran, I never seen actual combat, I did serve on the DMZ in Korea.

I served with many that did see combat in Viet Nam.

Even though I'm a veteran myself, I don't compare to people that have been shot at. I'm in awe of them.

One thing I hope all can agree on...war is hell and should be avoided.

Even though I was never in combat, I understood race, religion, political beliefs meant nothing, it was your brother beside you that meant something.

That was maybe the most important thing that I learned.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    This is good stuff....and thanks to moderators that let it stay even though its not football. While I'm a Vietnam era veteran, I never seen actual combat, I did serve on the DMZ in Korea.

I served with many that did see combat in Viet Nam.

Even though I'm a veteran myself, I don't compare to people that have been shot at. I'm in awe of them.

One thing I hope all can agree on...war is hell and should be avoided.

Even though I was never in combat, I understood race, religion, political beliefs meant nothing, it was your brother beside you that meant something.

That was maybe the most important thing that I learned.

My sentiment to the moderators as well. I consider it an honor on a thread I initiated. My brother who I lost two years ago was a Vietnam Vet. Worked in supplies. As such I thought he didn't see combat either until our mom happen to come across some medals he had tucked away. He was honored for successfully supplying helicopters while under fire on several occasions. Never talked about the war much, only during flashbacks which was scary. Fourth of July was a difficult time of the year also though he handled it better over time. I think he was stationed somewhere called Tan Sun Nut or something like that.