Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On to our Cards 2017 WR and Te

Default On to our Cards 2017 WR and Te

Time for the WR and TE. First let me say I think the WR position is way over rated. One of the few areas I agree with BA on is WR. I would never draft a WR or TE in the 1st round. Simply because for the WR it take another person to get them the ball. A great QB can make a WR. A great WR can't make a QB. I think you can find a good WR in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. One that can still be a #1 target.

Larry is still a good WR. He isn't great anymore simply because he has lost a couple of steps. And he didn't really have that speed to loose. One of the knocks on Larry coming out of college was his speed. Ne never had that extra gear. He has been a great WR for the Cards. Now they use him in a different way. More in the slot and more as a blocker in the running game. Ultimate team player.

I'm going to combine JJ and Smoke simply because they are pretty much the same type of WR. Both rely on speed. Neither is going to win many 50/50 balls, simply because of their size. I actually think JJ is the better of the two. Seems like he is more shifty. He can run the jet sweep and reverse better than Smoke Both depend of their speed for separation. Both have decent hands. Neither are much in the blocking aspect simply because of their size. I also don't think either can be a consistent #2. I don't think either could hold up to the pounding. I also think their redundant. Actually would like to see one traded. Probably Smoke. Simply because I think JJ is better and Smoke has that sycle trait. Neither one of these guys should ever be the #1 target once the Cards get down to the opponents 20 yard line. Their major weapon (speed ) is take away simply because the field now becomes compressed.

Jaron could be a solid #2 if he can stay healthy. A lot like Larry in that he doesn't have that extra gear. Very underrated in my estimation. Great rout runner, and good hands. Catches anything coming his way. Big enough to win his share of 50/50 balls. Think this kid could make this team if he is healthy all year. Enough speed to take it to the house, but not a burner like JJ and Smoke. Could become a solid #2 and take Floyds place.

Williams is a rookie. Have no idea what he is going to bring to the table. Is he going to be able to block on running plays ? Is he a possession receiver or take the top off receiver ? It's hard to break into the NFL as a rookie WR. If he has 30 to 40 catches and shows potential I'll consider it a good year.

The rest are just a jumbled mess right now. I have a couple I'm rooting for. One is the 6'6 kid from Rutgers. He could be a load in the red zone. Other than that a couple might make the practice squad. One at best might make the active roster. They also have to show they can play special teams.

Gresham is our one proven TE. Love the way he plays and the attitude he bring to the offense. Not a great TE but a very good one for this offense. Better blocker than I though. Which out TE have to be. Our TE are more an extension of out tackles. Their blocker first and then receivers later.

Nichlas is running out of time. Has all the tools to be a success. Needs to stay healthy and finally contribute. Not much more to say about him simply because he has been hurt so much. Not much to go on. He has shown flashes in the brief time he has played.

The rest of the TE don't do much for me. Most are WR that out grew the position. So their undersized and can't block for the running game. One position that can be very easily up graded and needs to be. I know Fells regressed last year but to me he was better than any of the remaining TE once you get past 1 and 2.

One thing about out TE. They to me are under utilized. Especially in the red zone. Why Palmer would rather throw a fade to Smoke or JJ instead of a jump ball to a TE is beyond me. I think we leave a lot of points on the table when Palmer does that. Were ok with Gresham as our #1. We need an up grade on the whole position after that. Especially if Nichlas gets hurt and misses time again.

Well that's it for the WR and TE. Probably my least favorite position on a football team is the WR.

Thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Time for the WR and TE. First let me say I think the WR position is way over rated. One of the few areas I agree with BA on is WR. I would never draft a WR or TE in the 1st round. Simply because for the WR it take another person to get them the ball. A great QB can make a WR. A great WR can't make a QB. I think you can find a good WR in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. One that can still be a #1 target.

Larry is still a good WR. He isn't great anymore simply because he has lost a couple of steps. And he didn't really have that speed to loose. One of the knocks on Larry coming out of college was his speed. Ne never had that extra gear. He has been a great WR for the Cards. Now they use him in a different way. More in the slot and more as a blocker in the running game. Ultimate team player.

I'm going to combine JJ and Smoke simply because they are pretty much the same type of WR. Both rely on speed. Neither is going to win many 50/50 balls, simply because of their size. I actually think JJ is the better of the two. Seems like he is more shifty. He can run the jet sweep and reverse better than Smoke Both depend of their speed for separation. Both have decent hands. Neither are much in the blocking aspect simply because of their size. I also don't think either can be a consistent #2. I don't think either could hold up to the pounding. I also think their redundant. Actually would like to see one traded. Probably Smoke. Simply because I think JJ is better and Smoke has that sycle trait. Neither one of these guys should ever be the #1 target once the Cards get down to the opponents 20 yard line. Their major weapon (speed ) is take away simply because the field now becomes compressed.

Jaron could be a solid #2 if he can stay healthy. A lot like Larry in that he doesn't have that extra gear. Very underrated in my estimation. Great rout runner, and good hands. Catches anything coming his way. Big enough to win his share of 50/50 balls. Think this kid could make this team if he is healthy all year. Enough speed to take it to the house, but not a burner like JJ and Smoke. Could become a solid #2 and take Floyds place.

Williams is a rookie. Have no idea what he is going to bring to the table. Is he going to be able to block on running plays ? Is he a possession receiver or take the top off receiver ? It's hard to break into the NFL as a rookie WR. If he has 30 to 40 catches and shows potential I'll consider it a good year.

The rest are just a jumbled mess right now. I have a couple I'm rooting for. One is the 6'6 kid from Rutgers. He could be a load in the red zone. Other than that a couple might make the practice squad. One at best might make the active roster. They also have to show they can play special teams.

Gresham is our one proven TE. Love the way he plays and the attitude he bring to the offense. Not a great TE but a very good one for this offense. Better blocker than I though. Which out TE have to be. Our TE are more an extension of out tackles. Their blocker first and then receivers later.

Nichlas is running out of time. Has all the tools to be a success. Needs to stay healthy and finally contribute. Not much more to say about him simply because he has been hurt so much. Not much to go on. He has shown flashes in the brief time he has played.

The rest of the TE don't do much for me. Most are WR that out grew the position. So their undersized and can't block for the running game. One position that can be very easily up graded and needs to be. I know Fells regressed last year but to me he was better than any of the remaining TE once you get past 1 and 2.

One thing about out TE. They to me are under utilized. Especially in the red zone. Why Palmer would rather throw a fade to Smoke or JJ instead of a jump ball to a TE is beyond me. I think we leave a lot of points on the table when Palmer does that. Were ok with Gresham as our #1. We need an up grade on the whole position after that. Especially if Nichlas gets hurt and misses time again.

Well that's it for the WR and TE. Probably my least favorite position on a football team is the WR.

Thoughts ?
    Want to see Jaron Brown play a full season and see what he can do getting 6 or more targets/game. I thing both Smoke and JJ will be improved and Smoke should be back close to 900-1000 yards receiving. My other wish is that I can see Niklas play the entire season because his blocking and receiving skills (especially the latter) showed marked improvement during training camp before becoming injured once again -- this is a make or break season for him but if he could stay healthy than the TE room will be a definite positive for the upcoming season.

I posted earlier this week that PFF had the Cards pass offense rated #6 which could even be better if any of the following occurs: 1) Smoke is back to 4.3 speed 2) Jaron Brown is able to match Floyd's production from a couple of years ago as Jaron has made some outstanding catches in the past with his leaping ability (need to see strong hands in traffic) or 3) Niklas can actually play 14-16 games this year.

Darren Fells is a Lion now.

Momah is who will have to step up if Niklas gets hurt. After that we are pretty thin on experience. I wouldn't be surprised to see Keim pick up another TE when teams start thinning down.

This team really does need Chad Williams to demonstrate why BASK fell in love with him.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Couldn't agree more. No defensive coordinator falls for BA's stubborn idea that no one will expect a fade to our little guy.

Larry is alot better than what this post says. Sure he has lost a step or two but he hasnt lost his hands, this year larrys improved alot on his catching and concentration on the ball before ans after the catch. Wont break free due to not being as fast so he adjusted to slot, and hes dominating it. Not many receivers can do that or would even want to(ego or something) but larry did, excelled in it, great blocker! Fitz is still an elite receiver. All we need is boldin back, heck maybe even have a couple TE plays where he lines up as a TE.

Quote Originally Posted by cardsfanatic View Post
    Larry is alot better than what this post says. Sure he has lost a step or two but he hasnt lost his hands, this year larrys improved alot on his catching and concentration on the ball before ans after the catch. Wont break free due to not being as fast so he adjusted to slot, and hes dominating it. Not many receivers can do that or would even want to(ego or something) but larry did, excelled in it, great blocker! Fitz is still an elite receiver. All we need is boldin back, heck maybe even have a couple TE plays where he lines up as a TE.
    I'd agree with this too. The old man led the league in receptions, didn't he? BA helped transform Larry's game same as he transformed Reggie Wayne's. And Larry's game was never based on speed. As long as the health, hands, the smarts, the route running and the competitiveness remain Larry contributes big. Plus you get the leadership on and off the field. Lucky to have him as a face of this franchise as it transitioned from basement of the NFL to contender.

Quote Originally Posted by cardsfanatic View Post

Good post, but you lost me right there. I'm not sure how much of a step Larry may have lost, but you can stick a fork in Anquan. I'll be surprised if he plays at all this season.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    [/B]

Good post, but you lost me right there. I'm not sure how much of a step Larry may have lost, but you can stick a fork in Anquan. I'll be surprised if he plays at all this season.

boldin has Great hands as well, definately a great clutch and third down machine.

I'm glad the OP didn't sugarcoat the situation at WR, to me it's the weakest group on the team. I'm praying the Williams kid or Jaron Brown show us something special, otherwise the Cards are going to be in trouble. I love Fitz dearly and still think he's great on his under routes but I feel like the Cards are missing a go-to receiver on 3rd and long, someone who's going to consistently win 50/50 balls. Like the brutal, game changing ones Floyd dropped so many of last year.

Boldin would be completely redundant with Fitz around, he'd literally only get on the field if Fitz was injured

Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutCard View Post
    I'm glad the OP didn't sugarcoat the situation at WR, to me it's the weakest group on the team. I'm praying the Williams kid or Jaron Brown show us something special, otherwise the Cards are going to be in trouble. I love Fitz dearly and still think he's great on his under routes but I feel like the Cards are missing a go-to receiver on 3rd and long, someone who's going to consistently win 50/50 balls. Like the brutal, game changing ones Floyd dropped so many of last year.

Boldin would be completely redundant with Fitz around, he'd literally only get on the field if Fitz was injured
    A year ago the conventional wisdom (and I think correct view) was out WR room was one of if not best in the NFL. Then both Browns went down to injury and the Floyd issue surfaced.

I'd argue Fitz is still Fitz and Nelson showed ability that looked as good or better than John Brown. We don't know if both Browns come back healthy, but I'm optimistic. We don't know about rookie Williams bit the team seems very high on him. We lost Floyd, gained a rookie who could replace him, and get both Browns back. I think we are good at WR, especially considering DJ is the best receiving threat RB in the NFL.