View Poll Results: When did you become a Cardinal fan? When they were the ...

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicago Cardinals

4 10.00%
  • St Louis Cardinals

9 22.50%
  • Arizona Cardinals

27 67.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just curious....

Default Just curious....

When did you become a Cardinal fan?
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

I ask this because I think it may give some insight as to how people here relate to the Cards.

Plus I just think it will be interesting just to see how many here are old timers....or newbies.... well sort of, they have been in Arizona for sometime now.

Either way, I would like to see the mix.

I'm an old timer, ( St Louis era ) and when the Cards moved....well I tried to like the Rams....but couldn't, even when they won the super bowl. Once a Card fan, always a Card fan.
    Last edited by thomas cat; 07-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.

When they came to AZ..Then the Phoenix Cardinals with Gene Stallings at the helm
    The Big A era begins

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    Gene Stallings
    That's a name I haven't thought about in awhile. Not exactly one of the big names in cardinal history, but he was part of it.

My other thought about this poll. While not all, and even most fans have never faced their team leaving...and then another team coming to town.

How often do people embrace the new team and forget their old team? I tried and couldn't do it. Am in the minority?...or do most manage to change their loyalties?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    That's a name I haven't thought about in awhile. Not exactly one of the big names in cardinal history, but he was part of it.

My other thought about this poll. While not all, and even most fans have never faced their team leaving...and then another team coming to town.

How often do people embrace the new team and forget their old team? I tried and couldn't do it. Am in the minority?...or do most manage to change their loyalties?
    It was easy for me..the second we had a "Home team" i dropped the Niners like a bad habit and never looked back..lol
    The Big A era begins

St. Louis 1968 season.

When they left St.Louis My wife, kids, and I were living in Oklahoma by then. It was hard getting to watch every game there. Lots of hits and misses cause the Cowpokes ruled most of Oklahoma TV stations back then. Pro Football Weekly was my weekly fix if I could not see the game. That and the HBO NFL weekly rundown of all the games with Len Dawson and Nick Boniconti (sp?).

This trend continued when in 1990 we moved back to Illinois where the wife grew up. And then in 1996/97 we got DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket. 11 seasons so far paying to watch the Cards. It's been worth it even though it's been expensive. $149/season to start back in the 96/97 season to almost $300 now. Being retired now this kinda hurts the limited budget.

So I do get upset at times of the privileged fans of AZ Cards, that have season tickets, attitudes. They have no clue sometimes how blessed they are.

Getting to see the Cards in Oct 27th 2014 at UoP beat the Falcons (section 19 row 13) was a once in a lifetime vacation for the Mrs and me (plus staying with an Old Army buddy who lives in Green Valley for 4 days.) All 4 of us went to the Game. I had lost my voice by the middle of the 2nd quarter. That was the Game AE broke a 80 yd TD run in his rookie season. Fitz caught one of his TDs in front of us too that game. In fact all 3 TDs were scored in the endzone where our seats were.

JosEPh

I don't remember what year but I believe 1962. It was the year they moved to St Louis. I was already a Cardinals baseball fan, so, why not. I was in California when they moved to Arizona and their appearance on TV was more frequent. I now live in Las Vegas with Direct TV and never miss a game.

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    Pro Football Weekly
    I use to subscribe that. It was the bible back in the day. I wonder if its still around.

And to you, do you remember Joel Buchsbaum ? He was a football guru that was often on KMOX. That guy knew every thing about every college football player there was. At least it sure seemed like it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/sp...-draftnik.html

I don't think most realize how hard it was to follow a team that was not local back then. No internet, no ESPN, no NFL network, just scores, and if lucky, the occasional story about your team.
    Last edited by thomas cat; 07-14-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    I use to subscribe that. It was the bible back in the day. I wonder if its still around.

And to you, do you remember Joel Buchsbaum ? He was a football guru that was often on KMOX. That guy knew every thing about every college football player there was. At least it sure seemed like it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/sp...-draftnik.html

I don't think most realize how hard it was to follow a team that was not local back then. No internet, no ESPN, no NFL network, just scores, and if lucky, the occasional story about your team.
    Ahhh..life before Al Gore, most don`t believe there was such a time..lol
    The Big A era begins

I started following them when I was really young living in Imperial Missouri and they were still in Chicago. Was tickled when I heard they were moving to STL. I think I was 17 when they moved to STL.

Never got into the Rams. it just never sounded right. So I stuck with the Big Red when they moved to Az.