View Poll Results: When did you become a Cardinal fan? When they were the ...

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicago Cardinals

4 10.00%
  • St Louis Cardinals

9 22.50%
  • Arizona Cardinals

27 67.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    It was easy for me..the second we had a "Home team" i dropped the Niners like a bad habit and never looked back..lol
    Same here except it was the Cowboys for me growing up in Texas and all.
    "Let's Shock The World" - Kurt Warner Jan 10, 2009 after defeating Carolina Panthers 33-13

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    When they came to AZ..Then the Phoenix Cardinals with Gene Stallings at the helm
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    That's a name I haven't thought about in awhile. Not exactly one of the big names in cardinal history, but he was part of it.

My other thought about this poll. While not all, and even most fans have never faced their team leaving...and then another team coming to town.

How often do people embrace the new team and forget their old team? I tried and couldn't do it. Am in the minority?...or do most manage to change their loyalties?
    One of the best coaches the Cards had. Unfortunately for him that is when Sr. was running the team and it was a **** show.

Won a national title at Alabama some years later.

Loved Stallings.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

I became a fan when they moved here. I'm an Arizona native (my AZ ancestry goes all the way to my grandmother's birth in Mesa in 1917), and the Redskins were my favorite team. I started liking them when I watched the Super Bowl as an 8-year old and liked their helmet and colors. Curiously, I was one of a very few fans in Phoenix but that all changed after the 1983 Super Bowl. Anyway I digress. When the Cardinals moved here I tossed the Redskins aside and became a Cardinal fan. I've raised this in passing a number of times in other threads, but one thing that ticks me off as a native is people who move here and complain about the "lack of community" in the Phoenix area, then when the Bears, Vikings, Packers, Eagles, Cowboys, etc. come to town they slap on the gear and head to the stadium to cheer for their boys from back home, and then get back to complaining about their new home at work the next day. So that pretty much sums it up. The Cardinals are the hometown team so I'm a fan. Can't get any more philosophical about it.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    The Cardinals are the hometown team so I'm a fan. Can't get any more philosophical about it.
    Quote that sums up the thread right here. The Cardinals fan base cannot build the community and sense of 'ownership' unless the AZ resident fans embrace them totally. Not just cause they're winning but even when the team outright sucks. That means even if you had a favorite NFL team growing up or lived in Dallas, Green Bay, Chicago etc. you can cherish those memories but you live here now so support 'your' new AZ home team! Buy their gear, wear the colors, learn the players names, watch entire Cardinals games with the family instead of jumping around different NFL games with your TV sports package.

The entire family down to the grand babies rock Cardinals jerseys win or lose. ~ end speech ~

I had never really watched an entire football game on television until one day a coworker of mine showed up to work on Sunday with a television in his trunk. We usually had Friday and Saturday off and were the skeleton crew for that day. I asked Bob what the hell he was doing and he looked at me like I was an idiot and informed me it was Superbowl Sunday, and "By God, we're watchin' the game!" I could tell he was serious as a heart attack and there wasn't a lot on our plates that day, so we knocked out what needed to be done and then watched the 49ers dismantle the Dolphins in SB XIX.

I came away a Montana & 9er fan and watched them a LOT after that day. In '88 when the Cards came to Az, another good friend of mine who was (still is) a Packer fan (from Oshkosh) had a serious conversation with me about "home team" and why we needed to support the Cards. We got behind them and I was a 2 team fan until the Cards and 9ers ended up in the same division. That was the end of that. Byebye 9ers...

My daughter is still a 9er fan, but she loves the Cards more and her husband is a died in the wool Card fan.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Thanks to all that have made comments in this thread. Lots of different reasons why and when you became fans.

That's what I was looking for.

I became a Cardinal fan because that was the nearest team to where I lived. For me, it was like rooting for your local high school team. Why would you not.

Back then, I hated it when some people in my area rooted for the Cowboys, and then later the Redskins. The only reason they did it, was because they were good at the time. It made them feel superior because their team was good.

I have no doubt, some of those same people has since gone on to be 49'ers, Steelers, Patriots, or any other team who became winners.

It's easy to pick out the best team and say that's your team, but it will never compare to following a team that you grew up with and felt the need to root for them because they were close to your hometown.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    Thanks to all that have made comments in this thread. Lots of different reasons why and when you became fans.

That's what I was looking for.

I became a Cardinal fan because that was the nearest team to where I lived. For me, it was like rooting for your local high school team. Why would you not.

Back then, I hated it when some people in my area rooted for the Cowboys, and then later the Redskins. The only reason they did it, was because they were good at the time. It made them feel superior because their team was good.

I have no doubt, some of those same people has since gone on to be 49'ers, Steelers, Patriots, or any other team who became winners.

It's easy to pick out the best team and say that's your team, but it will never compare to following a team that you grew up with and felt the need to root for them because they were close to your hometown.

If you really pay attention to those "fans", they're the ones that catch a game now and then, don't really watch any particular team avidly, and don't therefore know a whole lot about football. If the conversation happens to turn to football at a party or something like that, they just want to try to impress people with the "fact" that they "love" the team that won the last SB.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

38 yr old native to AZ. Was brought up an Eagles fan which I watched with my Father and Grandfather (both came from Philly). When Cards moved here they were in the same division and I cared more about hating the Cowpukes then the Cards. When I started to get into my late teens/early 20s I started going to games at SDS because my friend's dad has season tickets. This was mostly in the Plummer days and that was a fun team to watch but I still wasn't a big fan and followed the Eagles which I'd watch with my Grandpa just about every weekend (at his house in Sun City). He passed away in 2001 and I basically stopped watching regularly after that. Then the Cards drafted Boldin and AW started coming into his own and I started to love this team. Then in 2006 they moved to the West side and I became season ticket holder and will remain one until they leave or I die. I don't think I'd keep following them if they left to be honest. I love going to the games. The atmosphere in the stadium is awesome. Especially these last few seasons under Arians.
    Last edited by Ditship; 07-18-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    I don't care how you do it, JUST WIN!