Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our 2017 Cards O line

Default Our 2017 Cards O line

On to the O line. One of my two favorite spots on a football team. The other being LB. With that said I have no idea how this O line will do this year. We pretty much know the starters unless something drastic happens. So with that lets delve in.

Humphries is our starting Lt. All I can say is he has to do better than last year. He allowed 9 sacks total last year. There was 8 from the right side and 1 from the left. Those stats have to get a lot better. Basically cut in half. Now he is playing his natural position. I don't think he will ever be elite. He sure isn't another Joe Thomas. But I'm hoping he can get to the level below elite. Basically the jury is still out on this kid. This year will tell a lot. Right now he is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

Mike is our starter at LG. Another one who is better at run blocking than pass blocking. But we knew that when we signed him. He needs to have a better year than last year in both the run game and pass game. He can look over his shoulder and see his replacement. I think this is his last year with the Cards. So it's now or never.

Shipley we know is our center. He is ok and actually was the best over all lineman we had last year. He also is very replaceable. One of the few who is actually a better pass blocker I think than run blocker. But he isn't pro bowl material at either. Doesn't really get a big push in the run game and can be over powered in pass protection. I look for him to start the year at center but not finish the year as a starter.

Boehn is supposed to be our RG. This is one of the two biggest questions on the O line. Personally I think he is a better center than guard material. He did ok in the one game he started at RG last year. That one game, not a whole year. I think he is a little under powered to be an effective guard. He is a junk yard dog and will fight for everything, but that only gets you so far. I think eventually he becomes our starting center as he was drafted to be. Might even be this year towards the end of the year. Another one who is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

Valdeer is the other big question mark on this line. How long is it going to take him to get comfortable and instinctive on the right side ? Where he can just play and not have to think about what he is doing. That having to think costs at least half a step, and that's the difference between a successful and unsuccessful play. It's going to take him longer than just training camp. Probably at least 4 if not more games into the season. That's the big question for me. Another one who is a better run blocker than pass blocker. In my opinion.

The reserves are Toner, Holden, Wetzel, John, and Johnson. The rest I think at this stage are just camp bodies. Unless someone really steps up and forces his way on to the roster.

Toner is our new swiss army knife. I think he stays around just because of is ability to play anywhere on the O line. And he is learning center this year.

Holden is the back up and swing tackle right now. He has a lot to prove in training camp.

Wetzel I think could actually start at RG. He is a better G than T. Big strong and powerful.

John is a RT and I think they are hoping he can take over for Valdeer either next year or the year after. It's either him or Holden.

Johnson is Iupiti's eventual replacement. SK might have found another diamond past the 2nd round. Lets just hope he doesn't have any medical issued. I can see him starting some this year and taking over for Deuce next year.

Well that the O line for me. This group isn't a great pass blocking unit. Not to say their bad there just not made for those long developing pass plays. Pretty much each and every one is better at run blocking than pass blocking. If BA would go with a quicker passing game like he did last year towards the end of the year it would help the O line and help keep Palmer on his feet. It would also cut down on the sacks. It also goes with out saying they have to be healthier than last year. We can't be starting our 4th string RT and RG.

A lot is going to depend on BA and how he calls a game. If he is insistent on those long developing pass plays from the start of the game this line will struggle just like last year, and give up a bunch of sacks. If he calls a good game and takes his shots when he has the other teams D set up for it I think our sacks will be cut significantly. I do look for this line to open some huge holes for DJ to run through. It's rated the best line in the NFL west. Of course with La, Seattle, and SF that isn't saying much. I think it could possible be in the top 8 for O lines if BA adjusts. and that would go a long way toward getting us to the play offs.

That's my take on our O line.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    On to the O line. One of my two favorite spots on a football team. The other being LB. With that said I have no idea how this O line will do this year. We pretty much know the starters unless something drastic happens. So with that lets delve in.

Humphries is our starting Lt. All I can say is he has to do better than last year. He allowed 9 sacks total last year. There was 8 from the right side and 1 from the left. Those stats have to get a lot better. Basically cut in half. Now he is playing his natural position. I don't think he will ever be elite. He sure isn't another Joe Thomas. But I'm hoping he can get to the level below elite. Basically the jury is still out on this kid. This year will tell a lot. Right now he is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

Mike is our starter at LG. Another one who is better at run blocking than pass blocking. But we knew that when we signed him. He needs to have a better year than last year in both the run game and pass game. He can look over his shoulder and see his replacement. I think this is his last year with the Cards. So it's now or never.

Shipley we know is our center. He is ok and actually was the best over all lineman we had last year. He also is very replaceable. One of the few who is actually a better pass blocker I think than run blocker. But he isn't pro bowl material at either. Doesn't really get a big push in the run game and can be over powered in pass protection. I look for him to start the year at center but not finish the year as a starter.

Boehn is supposed to be our RG. This is one of the two biggest questions on the O line. Personally I think he is a better center than guard material. He did ok in the one game he started at RG last year. That one game, not a whole year. I think he is a little under powered to be an effective guard. He is a junk yard dog and will fight for everything, but that only gets you so far. I think eventually he becomes our starting center as he was drafted to be. Might even be this year towards the end of the year. Another one who is a better run blocker than pass blocker.

Valdeer is the other big question mark on this line. How long is it going to take him to get comfortable and instinctive on the right side ? Where he can just play and not have to think about what he is doing. That having to think costs at least half a step, and that's the difference between a successful and unsuccessful play. It's going to take him longer than just training camp. Probably at least 4 if not more games into the season. That's the big question for me. Another one who is a better run blocker than pass blocker. In my opinion.

The reserves are Toner, Holden, Wetzel, John, and Johnson. The rest I think at this stage are just camp bodies. Unless someone really steps up and forces his way on to the roster.

Toner is our new swiss army knife. I think he stays around just because of is ability to play anywhere on the O line. And he is learning center this year.

Holden is the back up and swing tackle right now. He has a lot to prove in training camp.

Wetzel I think could actually start at RG. He is a better G than T. Big strong and powerful.

John is a RT and I think they are hoping he can take over for Valdeer either next year or the year after. It's either him or Holden.

Johnson is Iupiti's eventual replacement. SK might have found another diamond past the 2nd round. Lets just hope he doesn't have any medical issued. I can see him starting some this year and taking over for Deuce next year.

Well that the O line for me. This group isn't a great pass blocking unit. Not to say their bad there just not made for those long developing pass plays. Pretty much each and every one is better at run blocking than pass blocking. If BA would go with a quicker passing game like he did last year towards the end of the year it would help the O line and help keep Palmer on his feet. It would also cut down on the sacks. It also goes with out saying they have to be healthier than last year. We can't be starting our 4th string RT and RG.

A lot is going to depend on BA and how he calls a game. If he is insistent on those long developing pass plays from the start of the game this line will struggle just like last year, and give up a bunch of sacks. If he calls a good game and takes his shots when he has the other teams D set up for it I think our sacks will be cut significantly. I do look for this line to open some huge holes for DJ to run through. It's rated the best line in the NFL west. Of course with La, Seattle, and SF that isn't saying much. I think it could possible be in the top 8 for O lines if BA adjusts. and that would go a long way toward getting us to the play offs.

That's my take on our O line.

I think you're underselling most of the OL.

Humphries needs only to continue his progression. He was excellent at Pass Pro at RT, and even better at LT. And he was solid against the run at both spots
    dj.jpg

Veldheer is making the easier of the two moves (LT to RT.) He won't face as much speed on that side. He'll be just fine.

I simply don't understand why everyone on this board is so quick to put 29-year-old Mike Iupati out to pasture. He battled nagging injuries all season long in 2016. In 2015, he was second-team All Pro. He's fine. And he's not going anywhere.

Shipley is Shipley. He doesn't do anything spectacular. He often appears undersized and overmatched, but as you said- he was the most consistent guy on the OL last year. Could there be an upgrade down the road? Sure. Maybe Boehm. Maybe a guy from the '18 draft. But Shipley keeps beating everyone out for a reason.

RG has valid questions. Boehm is unproven. Johnson is a rookie. This is where the learning curve will need to be accelerated.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post

Humphries needs only to continue his progression. He was excellent at Pass Pro at RT, and even better at LT. And he was solid against the run at both spots
    dj.jpg

Veldheer is making the easier of the two moves (LT to RT.) He won't face as much speed on that side. He'll be just fine.

I simply don't understand why everyone on this board is so quick to put 29-year-old Mike Iupati out to pasture. He battled nagging injuries all season long in 2016. In 2015, he was second-team All Pro. He's fine. And he's not going anywhere.

Shipley is Shipley. He doesn't do anything spectacular. He often appears undersized and overmatched, but as you said- he was the most consistent guy on the OL last year. Could there be an upgrade down the road? Sure. Maybe Boehm. Maybe a guy from the '18 draft. But Shipley keeps beating everyone out for a reason.

RG has valid questions. Boehm is unproven. Johnson is a rookie. This is where the learning curve will need to be accelerated.
    I am in agreement with you on Humphries as his progression from college (spread offense and non-complicated OL schemes to learn) to Rookie Yr. (needed to learn OL schemes and much thicker playbook) to Starter in 2016 (was solid and showed enough at his natural LT position for a switch with Veldheer). I am excited about his potential and as he keeps getting stronger there is the potential to be a Pro Bowler in the future (though obviously no J. Thomas).

Iupati -- has suffered from nagging injuries which has limited him but hopefully for his Cap hit that he can be at least solid.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post

dj.jpg

They're their now, its just there opinion!

/sarc off, spelling **** off

I think because of the last 3 drafts, picking up Iupati as a FA, getting Veldheer for a bargain after the Raiders didn't re-sign him; the Cards actually now in 2017 have one of the better units in the league at O-line. They killed it the last 3 drafts getting depth and skill across that line. The Humphries pick is and will show why he was picked. Boehm, Toner provide solid depth. Dorian Johnson I predict wins a guard spot. Holden looks like a steal in round 5 with his solid technique and pro style offense experience. As average as they were at times last season, I think these young draft picks are going to get some playing time and with solid depth which is so important.
    Last edited by BulldogsCards; 07-18-2017 at 07:12 PM.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

I actually feel pretty good about our offensive line. I'm not saying it will be top 10, but I don't think saying it will be solid would be unreasonable.

I will agree there are some questions, but none are long shots at turning positive. I also think we have enough depth that if someone goes down or doesn't work out, we have decent people to step in.

In the last two games last year, we beat the the Seahawks 34-31 and the Rams 44-6. Most of the offensive line was filled with some of the backups that are still on our roster.

In two games we scored 78 points. That would be hard to do without at least decent offensive line play.

I think we have a good group of lineman and we added Dorian.

It will be key to keep the same 5 throughout most of the season. That's easier said than done. If we can, a top 10 or even 5 offensive line is not out of the question. Having the same guys game after game can not be underestimated.

C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

lol....I just realized I went from newbie to draft pick.

It only took me 7 years.....what's next....practice squad ?......
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    lol....I just realized I went from newbie to draft pick.

It only took me 7 years.....what's next....practice squad ?......
    Unless you were a 7th rounder.....
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Itancan.
    I disagree about Boehm, and said so when the Cards drafted him. I think his position in the NFL is Guard.
    The best Centres in the pros have most of their strength in their legs. And are able to sink their butt to anchor themselves. Guards have more upper body strength, and have to have good foot and hand movement.
    I believe Boehm's intelligence at centre is an asset as a back up Guard in emergencies. But his skills are more suited to playing Guard. I am hoping he has a really good year this year in what I always thought, would be where he had the best chance to be a long time starter.
    Keep Washington get rid of Keim and Arians

The OL has a lot to prove. The group that's projected to start hasn't played a down together. Teams are going to attack us right up the middle. I'm not convinced with Shipley as the week link he can handle it. Last year he got better as teams were able to attack other spots due to injury. I think he is a fraud despite the stats.