Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Cardinals Training Day Competition for No. 2 cornerback job

Default Article: Cardinals Training Day Competition for No. 2 cornerback job

Cardinals Training Day: Competition for No. 2 cornerback job in Cardinals camp is 'wide open'

The way most Cardinals insiders saw it, Justin Bethel had the inside step on the starting cornerback job opposite Patrick Peterson, although hed clearly have to win the position battle outright from second-year pro Brandon Williams. Coach Bruce Arians, however, threw a giant plot twist into that theory on Sunday during his daily news conference with reporters. Its wide open, Arians said. Its wide open.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...pen/502540001/

For crying out loud, will you just go sign Shields already?

Or whoever, I dont care.

The fact the #2 job is wide open is horrendous. Bethel has been here 5 years. His ocmpetition at #2 CB are a bunch of rookies and a convert RB. The fact he doesnt have an lockdown firm grasp on the #2 job by now tells you that Bethel will never ever be the #2 CB we hoped for.

Kill the experiment. Hes a special teamer.

Go sign a real CB.

and for that matter, Shields, so long as he doesnt get his head whacked, is a very good CB.
    Last edited by Zaz; 07-24-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    For crying out loud, will you just go sign Shields already?

Or whoever, I dont care.

The fact the #2 job is wide open is horrendous. Bethel has been here 5 years. His ocmpetition at #2 CB are a bunch of rookies and a convert RB. The fact he doesnt have an lockdown firm grasp on the #2 job by now tells you that Bethel will never ever be the #2 CB we hoped for.

Kill the experiment. Hes a special teamer.

Go sign a real CB.

and for that matter, Shields, so long as he doesnt get his head whacked, is a very good CB.
    We signed a guy last year who was awful. Didn't solve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    We have about a tenth of the 90 man roster filled with people to vie for a spot across from PP. I'm not sure which one is the best of the bunch, but my money is on Bethel. Everybody that pays attention knows he hasn't been 100% over the last 2 seasons.

1. Justin Bethel
    2.Elie Bouka
    3.Rudy Ford
    4.Daniel Gray
    5.Gump Hayes
    6. Ryan Lewis
    7.Jamal Rolle
    8.Sojourn Shelton
    9.Brandon Williams
    10. Ronald Zamort

It's sounding like a few of these guys have a shot besides Bethel. I believe Rolle is in competition with Bouka as a leading contender besides Bethel and
    Williams.
    To me it would make sense for Arians to say the competition is wide open, just to see if some cream rises to the top in the belief they have a legit shot.

Camp is just starting. Pads go on today. Over the next few weeks we'll see which of these guys are for real. If BASK isn't comfortable enough after that, Keim will be waiting to pounce on another guy that will fit. Hard to say who all might find themselves on the outside looking in after the roster trim.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Who Cooper?

Cooper would be a significant upgrade over any #2 CB on our current roster.

I still see the Cards adding Revis or Flowers
    "It's OUR Time"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Who Cooper?

Cooper would be a significant upgrade over any #2 CB on our current roster.
    Agree with this if Biggs was indeed referring to Marcus Cooper. Considering that he came in late to the Cards, he performed very well (His stats as our RCB and starting 14 games):

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CoopMa00.htm

Cards have some money tied up in the DB room with PP, HB, and even Bethel. A shame that we had to let Cooper walk on to the Bears.

I had big hopes for Bethel after his performance on ST and was glad that he got the chance to play CB. Not sure if he is over his head at the CB position OR if his chronic foot injury derailed his ability to start and perform. Bethel is in his walk year---if he is ever going to perform, now it the season to do it. BA's negative comments regarding Bethel in the press did nothing to help motivate the guy, especially if he was going out to play with bad wheels. It motivated him to tear up his contract and to get out of town early.

you cannot hide a bad corner. we could shift coverage over considering we have PP but it is a legit question mark.

I remember talking to a Cards coach who's a family friend last year before the season and I said "bethel looks like he lacks confidence in himself" and the coach said "good observation".

it's not injuries, although it was a factor last year. to play corner in this league you have to have swagger.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

I don't trust Bethel at all but he's the best option on the roster. I'd go look at someone like Verner in free agency as Keim 1 year deal

Flowers and Shields both have concussion issues.

I say take the remainder of our cap space, sign both, and then rotate them as they both get concussed.