Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Cardinals Training Day Competition for No. 2 cornerback job

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Agree with this if Biggs was indeed referring to Marcus Cooper. Considering that he came in late to the Cards, he performed very well (His stats as our RCB and starting 14 games):

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CoopMa00.htm

Cards have some money tied up in the DB room with PP, HB, and even Bethel. A shame that we had to let Cooper walk on to the Bears.

I had big hopes for Bethel after his performance on ST and was glad that he got the chance to play CB. Not sure if he is over his head at the CB position OR if his chronic foot injury derailed his ability to start and perform. Bethel is in his walk year---if he is ever going to perform, now it the season to do it. BA's negative comments regarding Bethel in the press did nothing to help motivate the guy, especially if he was going out to play with bad wheels. It motivated him to tear up his contract and to get out of town early.
    I was indeed talking about Cooper. He was awful. He got off to a very good start. His performance declined the more work he got. That shows me teams looked at tape and took him apart. You would expect him to get more comfortable in our D and improve week to week. He went in the exact opposite direction. I'm glad he's gone. He was awful in the second half of the season.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account
    @AdamSchefter
    Former Chargers and Chiefs CB Brandon Flowers is visiting Arizona on Wednesday, per league source. Also been talking with the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Adam Schefter‏Verified account
    @AdamSchefter
    Former Chargers and Chiefs CB Brandon Flowers is visiting Arizona on Wednesday, per league source. Also been talking with the Patriots.
    Man would this be a great addition if Keim can pull this off

Bleacher report (Adam Schefter) just put that the Cardinals are hosting Flowers on Wednesday.

They are going to padlock the doors.

Flowers doesnt leave the building without a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I was indeed talking about Cooper. He was awful. He got off to a very good start. His performance declined the more work he got. That shows me teams looked at tape and took him apart. You would expect him to get more comfortable in our D and improve week to week. He went in the exact opposite direction. I'm glad he's gone. He was awful in the second half of the season.
    Cooper did indeed get flamed plenty. When I say he played pretty good, that is in reference to performances by Brandon Williams and Bethel. ProFootball Focus had Cooper at the very bottom of CB's who qualified to be ranked as the 101st ranked cornerback (a 45.5 overall grade) in 2016 out of 112 qualifiers.

I got low standards after watching the way over-matched Williams gave away a couple TDs (and the game) and Bethel not being physically capable of turning and running downfield. We at least got 4 INTs and a team-high 11 passes defended out of Cooper.

The Bears saw something in Cooper (one of their CBs, Tracy Porter, was even worse rated that Cooper) and signed him to a decent contract and signing bonus,

Hopefully, we got a starting CB on the way.

Not sure if Flowers is the guy---another smurf at 5'9" and multiple concussions in his career. Does he have the physical capability to play a high profile CB under attack opposite PP?

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonram View Post
    Not sure if Flowers is the guy---another smurf at 5'9" and multiple concussions in his career. Does he have the physical capability to play a high profile CB under attack opposite PP?
    irrelevant.

Is every catch a leaping vertical grab? No. 99.8% of the catches in the NFL are chest level, where 5'9 CBs are perfectly within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    irrelevant.

Is every catch a leaping vertical grab? No. 99.8% of the catches in the NFL are chest level, where 5'9 CBs are perfectly within reach.
    Then why hasn't he done a better job over the past couple of seasons?
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

Does not matter who play across from PP. Unless that CB is as good PP they will be looking bad. Team do not throw the ball against PP so they have to attack someone and it going to be the other guy. Just from the high volumes of throw the other CB are going to see they are going to get beat more often just because team ate going to go that way more.

Quote Originally Posted by McCollum,Travis View Post
    Does not matter who play across from PP. Unless that CB is as good PP they will be looking bad. Team do not throw the ball against PP so they have to attack someone and it going to be the other guy. Just from the high volumes of throw the other CB are going to see they are going to get beat more often just because team ate going to go that way more.
    This is exactly right. Whomever we have across from PP has to have the physical ability and mental make-up to get targeted over and over, and to pick themselves up after giving up a play and shrug it off. CB2 opposite Peterson is not an enviable job. Flowers could be an interesting pick-up. If Revis wants to play and show the NFL what he has for a contract next year (and in fact is in shape and still has it) so would he.