Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Tannehill loss and could it affect us

Default Potential Tannehill loss and could it affect us

With Tannehill going down (I hope it's not serious), but if it is, is there a way we can actually benefit from this?

Miami has Matt Moore as a QB. Do they feel comfortable with Moore and Doughty? Or would they be interested in a QB as a 1 year rental. Both of our backups don't have long-term contracts, so Miami wouldn't have to commit longterm, since Tannehill is coming back eventually. To sweeten the deal, Miami has a good RB in Ajayi, but no namers after him. He is a bruising running back.

We happen to have a finesse running back in Ellington that is a great pass catcher as well that probably won't make the team.

So, package Ellington (as a complement to Ajayi), and Either Drew or Gabbert, for say Cordrea Tankersley? He's their 3rd string. Raw and young but fast and is more of a press corner. You're basically trading a 3rd round pick (Miami) for a servicable backup QB that wont put you in a cap nightmare and a running back that you can try out for a year and if you like him, sign a longer contract (he's also on a year contract).

Cardinals get a press CB who is a perfect fit for our defense style who is fast and has a couple years of experience as a CB.
    Miami gets a servicable change of pace back and a backup with loads of experience in EITHER of our backups. Both of which offer little risk and are relatively cap friendly.

Sounds like a win/win. And to ME sounds better than a Jay Cutler pickup *blah*

Quote Originally Posted by ecnelis View Post
    With Tannehill going down (I hope it's not serious), but if it is, is there a way we can actually benefit from this?

Miami has Matt Moore as a QB. Do they feel comfortable with Moore and Doughty? Or would they be interested in a QB as a 1 year rental. Both of our backups don't have long-term contracts, so Miami wouldn't have to commit longterm, since Tannehill is coming back eventually. To sweeten the deal, Miami has a good RB in Ajayi, but no namers after him. He is a bruising running back.

We happen to have a finesse running back in Ellington that is a great pass catcher as well that probably won't make the team.

So, package Ellington (as a complement to Ajayi), and Either Drew or Gabbert, for say Cordrea Tankersley? He's their 3rd string. Raw and young but fast and is more of a press corner. You're basically trading a 3rd round pick (Miami) for a servicable backup QB that wont put you in a cap nightmare and a running back that you can try out for a year and if you like him, sign a longer contract (he's also on a year contract).

Cardinals get a press CB who is a perfect fit for our defense style who is fast and has a couple years of experience as a CB.
    Miami gets a servicable change of pace back and a backup with loads of experience in EITHER of our backups. Both of which offer little risk and are relatively cap friendly.

This is what I suggested last night after the Tannehill news was breaking. In another thread today I also suggested another Miami CB, Byron Maxwell, who had been rumored as a cap cut possibility due to his big contract. But if we traded away Stanton's $4 million contract, we could handle the cap hit. Maxwell was one of the best CB's in the AFC after Week 5 last year. Only allowed more than 30 yards twice, and never more than 42 yards. Used to covering WR1's. If the Cards loved Tankersley I'd be for him...young and tall and long and used to man coverage. Otherwise I wonder the package it would take to get Maxwell. As you say, Miami could use a 1 year vet like Stanton till Tannehill can heal up, could use a RB weapon like Ellington, and I think aren't too deep at WR so maybe a Golden as well?

Matt Moore is their backup QB, and hes one of the best backup QBs in the NFL. Stanton/Gabbert are not upgrades on him, theyd never go for that.

Do you really think Stanton has any trade value ? You might be able to get a 6th or 7th round pick for AE. Your not going to get much. These other GM have seen what kind of a RB he has become the last 2 years. AE's kind of running backs are a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by ecnelis View Post

The main problem you're not looking at is this:

How much better is Stanton than Matt Moore? Especially considering Stanton would have to learn a new system that Moore already knows?

We gonna dump Stanton because Gabbert played a good half? We gonna dump Gabbert before the experiment has even got off the ground?

Anything is possible I suppose, but I don't think the timing is the greatest for what could be a knee-jerk decision.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

We saw what happened when Palmer and Stanton went out. We ended up with the worst passing performance in playoff history with Lindley. I would keep all three QB's. I have never understood the backlash against Gabbert as to me he is the best 3rd string QB in the league. People praise Barkley (who 3 teams have let go) and rip Gabbert?

I love the thought of getting value for Stanton I just dont agree the NFL thinks the same. And as bad as Stanton has looked if Carson retires we are better off having Gabbert and Stanton in the mix than not. Even if we get a rookie high.

Our pipe dreams for a Vet probably wont happen (Stafford still my top choice by far) so I think Cards are smart to give Gabbert a year to learn system and get to know him. It's like an internship. He showed a great arm and poise. Not getting excited just better than looking bad.

At the end of the day this is the Cards fault for not doing more to secure the CB position in off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Belac44 View Post
    We saw what happened when Palmer and Stanton went out. We ended up with the worst passing performance in playoff history with Lindley. I would keep all three QB's. I have never understood the backlash against Gabbert as to me he is the best 3rd string QB in the league. People praise Barkley (who 3 teams have let go) and rip Gabbert?

I love the thought of getting value for Stanton I just dont agree the NFL thinks the same. And as bad as Stanton has looked if Carson retires we are better off having Gabbert and Stanton in the mix than not. Even if we get a rookie high.

Our pipe dreams for a Vet probably wont happen (Stafford still my top choice by far) so I think Cards are smart to give Gabbert a year to learn system and get to know him. It's like an internship. He showed a great arm and poise. Not getting excited just better than looking bad.

At the end of the day this is the Cards fault for not doing more to secure the CB position in off season.
    My biggest worry is that Gabbert outplays Stanton in the silly season by a mile and Arians, out of loyalty, still keeps Stanton. We all know the downside of Arians and his loyalty. Stanton has been paid well for his role, so it should all come down to the numbers. Should.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    The main problem you're not looking at is this:

How much better is Stanton than Matt Moore? Especially considering Stanton would have to learn a new system that Moore already knows?

We gonna dump Stanton because Gabbert played a good half? We gonna dump Gabbert before the experiment has even got off the ground?

Anything is possible I suppose, but I don't think the timing is the greatest for what could be a knee-jerk decision.
    I'm not necessarily saying he IS better than Matt Moore. But from Miamis perspective, you bring him in and compete against Moore. Best person takes the reigns of the team, loser is the backup. That way you aren't fielding whoever their 3rd string is if something happens. You instead have two competent backups that are about even. Better scenario for them than a backup and a scrub...

Quote Originally Posted by Belac44 View Post

I agree with it being the Cards fault. But if they somehow were to get Tank, that could make up for some of it.

As far as Stanton and Gabbert. I don't want to pass judgement prematurely for either. But anytime you're on the 3rd QB in the middle of the season, you're pretty much hosed. This would at least give Miami a backup to the backup who would be servicable. So they would at least start with 2 competent QBs going into the season instead of 1. At this point we have 1 legitimate starter, one backup, one wildcard, and one camp arm.
    Last edited by ecnelis; 08-04-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    My biggest worry is that Gabbert outplays Stanton in the silly season by a mile and Arians, out of loyalty, still keeps Stanton. We all know the downside of Arians and his loyalty. Stanton has been paid well for his role, so it should all come down to the numbers. Should.
    Loyalty is one thing, if he clearly outplays him I have faith the right choice will be made. Plus Keim is not retiring and he needs to worry about future of this team. I think its a no brainer to have Gabbert in the mix. Has to be better than Skelton years.