Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What'd we learn from the Dallas game...

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Default What'd we learn from the Dallas game...

...probably not a ton, but there were some positive signs.

1. Nkemdiche looks like an animal. I wouldn't have played him after the first few series. He looked head and shoulders above anyone on the field.

2. Dorian Johnson is a solid Guard. I locked onto him the entire 1st half. I love what I saw. BA always has some weird apprehension starting rookie Olinemen, but Dorian may change his mind.

3. Cole Toner looked very good. I couldn't help but notice him next to Dorian. I really like this guy. Smart and Savvy, but had good push when he needed it. He could pull a Mitch Morse here.

4. Gabbert is a solid back up. I'm not gonna say anything greater than that based on a very early preseason game, but he at least proved he is a good back up.

I didn't key on Reddick enough. What I did see was a guy learning a new position and he missed some assignments. Any thoughts on his game?
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    ...probably not a ton, but there were some positive signs.

1. Nkemdiche looks like an animal. I wouldn't have played him after the first few series. He looked head and shoulders above anyone on the field.

2. Dorian Johnson is a solid Guard. I locked onto him the entire 1st half. I love what I saw. BA always has some weird apprehension starting rookie Olinemen, but Dorian may change his mind.

3. Cole Toner looked very good. I couldn't help but notice him next to Dorian. I really like this guy. Smart and Savvy, but had good push when he needed it. He could pull a Mitch Morse here.

4. Gabbert is a solid back up. I'm not gonna say anything greater than that based on a very early preseason game, but he at least proved he is a good back up.

I didn't key on Reddick enough. What I did see was a guy learning a new position and he missed some assignments. Any thoughts on his game?
    I think we should note the collective result too, that the coaches prepared the second teamers as a whole and they all did ok. Not many flags tossed at the group which means technique is getting close attention up and down the ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    I think we should note the collective result too, that the coaches prepared the second teamers as a whole and they all did ok. Not many flags tossed at the group which means technique is getting close attention up and down the ranks.
    Preseaons for the refs to.....lots of uncalled hand checking and OL/DL line holding but I do have to agree that we played fundamentally solid football considering our second/third stringers and the slimmed down play book used.

I like Logan. Brought some real speed. Looked good and fearless on his KO returns and punt returns.

I thought Reddick was just ok. Got caught up in the trash to much and was wiped put on several plays. I hope that's from just learning a new position.

Back up O line was better than I expected. Did a great job on pass pro. Not so good on the run game though. Could see each one of those guys making it as a back up, and contributing if they have to start. Still think Wetzel best position is RG.

Gabbert surprised me. Thought he would be ok, but he actually was fabulous. I knew he has a cannon but he actually has and used touch. Was looking for Mr check down, but I sure didn't see any of that. Not when you go 11 of 14 for 185. That's 13.7 yards per pass, and 16.8 per completion. That's not check down to me. Threw the ball where only his guys could get it, and didn't put anyone in harms way with his throws.

Williams still looked lost at CB.

Nkimdiche was a beast. Hope he can do that against 1st stringers.

After the 2nd unit left the rest was not nearly as good. Knight was running for his life on most of his drops. Third team D had trouble with the run.

All in all a good game. Better than I expected from the 2nd string, and about what I expected from the third string on.

I know there is a whole other thread devoted to him but quick shoot out to Buddha Baker for looking ******** amazing in the HOF game!! Holy COw we got a beast there..
    I don't care how you do it, JUST WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    I like Logan. Brought some real speed. Looked good and fearless on his KO returns and punt returns.

I thought Reddick was just ok. Got caught up in the trash to much and was wiped put on several plays. I hope that's from just learning a new position.

Back up O line was better than I expected. Did a great job on pass pro. Not so good on the run game though. Could see each one of those guys making it as a back up, and contributing if they have to start. Still think Wetzel best position is RG.

Gabbert surprised me. Thought he would be ok, but he actually was fabulous. I knew he has a cannon but he actually has and used touch. Was looking for Mr check down, but I sure didn't see any of that. Not when you go 11 of 14 for 185. That's 13.7 yards per pass, and 16.8 per completion. That's not check down to me. Threw the ball where only his guys could get it, and didn't put anyone in harms way with his throws.

Williams still looked lost at CB.

Nkimdiche was a beast. Hope he can do that against 1st stringers.

After the 2nd unit left the rest was not nearly as good. Knight was running for his life on most of his drops. Third team D had trouble with the run.

All in all a good game. Better than I expected from the 2nd string, and about what I expected from the third string on.

It's early as early can be, but I had Cody Brown flashbacks.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

Budda had a stellar game

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    It's early as early can be, but I had Cody Brown flashbacks.
    I think BA comments over the weekend that Deone' could be back by Week #1 was also a signal to Reddick to learn the defense more quickly so he can become the ILB they expect.

P.S. 98.7 Wolfley just stated Budda Baker & Badger had VERY, VERY good weekend practices and wouldn't be surprised if they played on field at same time in some coverage schemes. The surprising statement by "wolf" was that Bethel had his best practice EVER over the weekend getting his hands on balls as he looked back for the ball MUCH better than before.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    I think BA comments over the weekend that Deone' could be back by Week #1 was also a signal to Reddick to learn the defense more quickly so he can become the ILB they expect.

P.S. 98.7 Wolfley just stated Budda Baker & Badger had VERY, VERY good weekend practices and wouldn't be surprised if they played on field at same time in some coverage schemes. The surprising statement by "wolf" was that Bethel had his best practice EVER over the weekend getting his hands on balls as he looked back for the ball MUCH better than before.
    Make it or break it year for Bethel... Last chance for him to get a starting CB job .

We have great depth.