Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What'd we learn from the Dallas game...

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Certainly grant you the view on Butler, but every long snapper was a rookie at some point. He evidently produced well enough in practice and preseason to get the job. Unfortunately for us, he couldn't handle the bright lights. I think coverage suffered dramatically from Bethel's ankle problem and, keep in mind, that a special team player makes the team firstly as a positional backup and then is fitted in to ST. CAT's falling apart, snaps aside, was a complete mystery to me and I read he's stinking it up in camp.
    The psyche of an NFL kicker is unique to sports. It takes a whole other level of visualization and confidence to succeed at that level. You could make 50 kicks in a row, but miss an important one and your psyche can snap. Some of them are so amazing they could miss a 30 yarder and forget it 5 minutes later. No one should give the whole "Cat's a professional, he should be perfect, he should be tougher than that" garbage. He's a man like anyone else. Doubt got the better of him. And once Doubt creeps in it takes a considerable amount of energy to eradicate him. Cat was great his rookie year. Last year, the year we had MAJOR problems on ST, he suddenly got worse? Say what you want, that long snapper error against NE did him in. I hope he recovers.

As for the long snapper last year, here's another possibility: NO ONE screwed up. CC's right. The kid looked fine until the big moment came. That's not on SK or BA, or even our terrible ST coach. We were playing NE, in game one, in front of everyone, after having a show done about us, in a year that we had legit SB aspirations. The kid folded. If I get past the part where our season went to crap, I feel bad for the guy.

The closest similarity to NFL kicking is probably golf. But in golf you have a ton of shots to compensate for a bad one. Interesting to note that some kickers are very good golfers.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

I posted a couple of time that I thought Catanzaro was a head case and not fully focused on his job. Got flamed pretty hard for it but still maintain that is his main issue. Not only did he seem to "air out" on easy FGs and PATs but also tightened up as soon as the distance approached or exceeded the 50 yard mark. His struggles would have been compounded by the addition of an inconsistent long snapper but they were there long before that ever happened. Also, lets not forget the times he would either kick it short or out of the end zone during the same game leaving all to wonder if it was him or a designed play. He had a phenomenal start to his career here but it was downhill from there and our dumpster fire of a special teams last year, which was malfunctioning on all levels, was the result. We also have no clue as to how much coaching he was receiving during this. Did they leave him to his own devices or were there active attempts to help get him past whatever was ailing him? He had the support of his teammates, but at some point in time, the player has to know he is letting everyone down and no matter how many times he hears "shake it off...we need you" it will start to ring hollow. You'd only hope a new team would allow him to push the "reset" button and start fresh but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

And yes...we did try out two rookie long snappers last pre season just to settle on the guy that airmailed and then bowled half a dozen or so snaps during the season....how does that even happen at the NFL level???
    Last edited by boomer719; 08-09-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer719 View Post
    I posted a couple of time that I thought Catanzaro was a head case and not fully focused on his job. Got flamed pretty hard for it but still maintain that is his main issue. Not only did he seem to "air out" on easy FGs and PATs but also tightened up as soon as the distance approached or exceeded the 50 yard mark. His struggles would have been compounded by the addition of an inconsistent long snapper but they were there long before that ever happened. Also, lets not forget the times he would either kick it short or out of the end zone during the same game leaving all to wonder if it was him or a designed play. He had a phenomenal start to his career here but it was downhill from there and our dumpster fire of a special teams last year, which was malfunctioning on all levels, was the result. We also have no clue as to how much coaching he was receiving during this. Did they leave him to his own devices or were there active attempts to help get him past whatever was ailing him? He had the support of his teammates, but at some point in time, the player has to know he is letting everyone down and no matter how many times he hears "shake it off...we need you" it will start to ring hollow. You'd only hope a new team would allow him to push the "reset" button and start fresh but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

And yes...we did try out two rookie long snappers last pre season just to settle on the guy that airmailed and then bowled half a dozen or so snaps during the season....how does that even happen at the NFL level???
    He hit 28 of 31 FG in 2015. He gets a botched snap in the first game for a loss and in the Seattle game he had a guy go over the center and block a kick. That could make you a head case. Kicking FG is all timing and approach. Once you start thinking you're pretty much done. Is he a head case and thinking for no reason? I don't think so. I think the play in front of him got in his head. Hard to know but time will tell. Folk got run out of SD for missing a kick in the playoffs and was a very good kicker for a long time after that.

Adam Green‏Verified account @theAdamGreen 2h2 hours ago
    Something of note: Bruce Arians said Robert Nkemdiche has been getting more work with the 1s of late. #CardsCamp

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    The psyche of an NFL kicker is unique to sports. It takes a whole other level of visualization and confidence to succeed at that level. You could make 50 kicks in a row, but miss an important one and your psyche can snap. Some of them are so amazing they could miss a 30 yarder and forget it 5 minutes later.
    Like the psyche of a good QB, or a divorce lawyer.