Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boldin or Fitz

Default Boldin or Fitz

Hey folks -- Does anyone have a good grasp of why Anquan Boldin was let go, while Larry Fitzgerald was retained? Q was a great, passionate force on the field, setting records as a receiver, and I have to think, positively influencing his teammates. Then Fitz is drafted and also develops into a great WR. Was it simply the salary cap, meaning the team couldn't pay both of them? Was there something about Q that would've kept him from being the face of the franchise? I remember a quote from then-GM Rod Graves: "We've found our Ray Lewis, and he's on offense." Yes, Graves made some mistakes (not drafting Terrell Suggs, drafting Leinart), but he did some good things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JC4Cards View Post
    Hey folks -- Does anyone have a good grasp of why Anquan Boldin was let go, while Larry Fitzgerald was retained? Q was a great, passionate force on the field, setting records as a receiver, and I have to think, positively influencing his teammates. Then Fitz is drafted and also develops into a great WR. Was it simply the salary cap, meaning the team couldn't pay both of them? Was there something about Q that would've kept him from being the face of the franchise? I remember a quote from then-GM Rod Graves: "We've found our Ray Lewis, and he's on offense." Yes, Graves made some mistakes (not drafting Terrell Suggs, drafting Leinart), but he did some good things, too.
    Didnt Q want to leave? He had some beef with the organization didnt he?

The Big A era begins.... Tick tock

The org thought they didn't need him and let their relationship deteriorate. Drafting Mike Floyd was the org realizing they made a mistake and trying to fix the hole made by letting him walk. One of the many errors from the Graves/Whiz era.

Quote Originally Posted by Genken View Post
    The org thought they didn't need him and let their relationship deteriorate. Drafting Mike Floyd was the org realizing they made a mistake and trying to fix the hole made by letting him walk. One of the many errors from the Graves/Whiz era.
    ???

He wanted Fitz money and ended up signing a deal with the Raven's for about what the Cards had offered. He ******* and moaned for a large part of his final season. Blaming Graves/Whiz is a bit much.
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

If I remember correctly the front office went back on a promise they made to Boldin. After that happened he wanted out of Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by JC4Cards View Post
    Here is my take, for what it is worth:

In 2003, the Cards coach was Dave McGinnis. He and Rod Graves selected Boldin in the 2nd round and Q was named the offensive rookie of the year for the 2003 season.

McGinnis was let go after that season, and Denny Green was hired.

In the 2004 draft, Green, the ex coach of the Vikings, could not pass on the opportunity to add Larry to the Cardinals receiving crew. Everyone is aware that Larry grew up as a ball boy around the Vikings players and Dennis Green, and how that all ties together.

Larry was taken THIRD overall, in the 1st round.

Now...sometimes two extremely competitive players can coexist on the same team without noticeable friction and problems and I believe that was mostly the case for Larry and Q, but whenever MONEY was at front and center, problems would follow.

The unfortunate circumstance was that Anquan and his agent would sign a new contract, and the shortly, Larry would come due and agree to a contract worth more than what Anquan was getting. Anquan would then pitch a fit and then the Cards would do their best to "make things right".

That happened at least twice.

I think underneath the professional relationship, Anquan resented the team drafting Larry, and Larry hated the fact that there was even a situation.

But there was, and everybody knew it the most when Q threw a fit in Haley's face during the 2008 playoffs on the sidelines, and then, worse, disappeared from the field immediately after the Cards beat the Eagles in the NFCCG.

Sometimes people scream to bring Anquan back.

We've already been there. It didn't work real good.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Didn't work real good? I thought we went to the Super Bowl! Also NFL man of the year in 2015. Q had his gripes with Whiz and Haley, but I have never heard a teammate say anything bad about him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Curmudgeon View Post
    Didn't work real good? I thought we went to the Super Bowl! Also NFL man of the year in 2015. Q had his gripes with Whiz and Haley, but I have never heard a teammate say anything bad about him.
    As if you didn't know, and were totally oblivious to what I meant? Here....let me draw you a ******* MAP. The SAME underlying issues that caused Anquan to bolt after the NFCCG have never been resolved.

Anquan hates the front office.
    The FO doesn't want him back. Ever.
    Larry has never been quoted as wanting Anquan back on the team since he left after 2008.
    Anquan has never been quoted as wanting to sign another contract to play for the Cardinals.
    Anquan has never been quoted saying how badly he wishes he could play next to Fitzgerald again.

Is there an angle of this proposition that I'm missing?

Yeah...I didn't think so.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Q signed his second contract early which got him a nice paycheck but also quickly became a "I'm not getting paid enough for what I do" situation that you hear about often in the NFL (recently with Seattle and Kam and Bennett). The part that we really don't know the whole story on was Q felt like he was lied to about something with his contract and the Front Office. I don't know if this had to do with a promise to re-up after a few years or what. There was also a situation where Whisenhunt said something or did something with the Front office that also pissed Q off. Again don't have the whole story there either.

What did happen though was since his very first contract and UNTIL Keim came in and finally ate the money Larry has basically held this team over a fire with multiple awful Rod Graves contracts. I love Larry but let's not pretend he has been punished with the awful QB play during the 2010-2013 years because the dude was KILLING it at the bank and basically fried the Cards cap space every 3 years he's been here until recently. In 2008 he earned that right though and that's why it happened. (Edit: Note there was a huge negotiation that went on right before the 2008 season.. including several talks of Trade because Fitz's rookie contract was a complete cluster ****)

Anyone bad mouthing Q about MONEY is speculating because again we were NEVER told what was promised... just that Q said something was and felt slighted/lied to. Q also has consistently shown to be a warrior on the field, an AMAZING teammate and an awesome person OFF the field (Walter Peyton man of the ******** year). So anyone trying to paste some ** about him being a cancer or anything else is just full of it.

Though he doesn't fit this scheme (slow) he is a playmaker and I'd love to have him back in Cardinal Red. He was one of the best to ever put on the Cards uniform. No doubt in my mind.
    Last edited by Ditship; 08-05-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    I don't care how you do it, JUST WIN!