Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boldin or Fitz

Quote Originally Posted by Sillysoft View Post
    Thinking about the 2008 season. So much fire power, 3 receivers with over 1000 yards each. Boldin, Fitz and Steve Breaston with guys like Early Doucet waiting in the wings.
    Yet we were far from dominating ..9-7,the Jets thrashed us 56 to 35,,Eagles whipped us 48 to 20,Vikings spanked us 35 to 14 and The Patriots obliterated us 47 to 7
    Then came Jan 2009 ,the best month of football EVER......well until that last couple of minutes
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac Card View Post
    Q left because he was lied to. He wanted an extension to his contract and the front office said it was going to happen before the start of training camp that year. Training camp came and they hadn't made the effort to start the negotiations. Q refused to negotiate after the start of training camp and left at the end of his contract/end of the season, because the organization hadn't kept there word to him.
    It was stupid on the cards part, and it was their loss, and our loss.
    Can you imagine the last few years with Q at slot instead of Larry, with Larry and JB on the outside? Devastating.
    Stupid Stupid Stupid move by the FO. Probably one of the stupidest things they did in franchise history IMO.
    **** straight.

Somebody said Q chasing dollars?! Too ******* funny.

Q is a grown *** man.

Edit: 81 was loyal to us, we kicked him in the teeth. He should be in Cards ROH, if we had kept him around. Proud of everythings redbirds, not so much how we let Q walk.
    Last edited by captjack; 08-06-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    ...........the ******** hung me in the spring of '25...........

Quote Originally Posted by boomer719 View Post
    All players on a team's current roster will say this and his team mates will support him....what else should they do? Anquan tried to get his contract renegotiated and ended up firing his agent, Drew Rosenhaus when he couldn't get it done for him. There's no loyalty to any team, coach or even agent for Q and he was all about the money and his voicing his loyalty was nothing more than playing the part so he could hopefully get his way. Can't fault him for that but make no mistake that Q was ALWAYS going to chase the dollars. The team didn't value him as highly as he valued himself and most likely backed away from any negotiations when it became obvious he wanted #1WR money and they were already paying that to Fitz.

He did what he needed to do and has had a phenomenal career.....it just didn't pan out for him and the Cardinals but it's very unrealistic to say he didn't have the same chance as Larry did and if I remember correctly, I don't think he ever became a #1WR on any team he joined yet has been compensated very well for his time in the NFL up to and including a SB ring.

We can speculate on things either way but meanwhile if memory serves, the video I recalled that featured the team was made well before the controversy that ultimately led to his departure later. It sounds like your speculation regarding what he said was based on him trying to set a tone for negotiations.

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    Yet we were far from dominating ..9-7,the Jets thrashed us 56 to 35,,Eagles whipped us 48 to 20,Vikings spanked us 35 to 14 and The Patriots obliterated us 47 to 7
    Then came Jan 2009 ,the best month of football EVER......well until that last couple of minutes
    Well I wasnt trying to imply we were dominating as a team, since this thread is about Boldin and Fitz I was just thinking how magical that season was for the WR core. Say what you want, but 3 receivers with over 1000 yards during that time was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiac Card View Post
    Q left because he was lied to. He wanted an extension to his contract and the front office said it was going to happen before the start of training camp that year. Training camp came and they hadn't made the effort to start the negotiations. Q refused to negotiate after the start of training camp and left at the end of his contract/end of the season, because the organization hadn't kept there word to him.
    It was stupid on the cards part, and it was their loss, and our loss.
    Can you imagine the last few years with Q at slot instead of Larry, with Larry and JB on the outside? Devastating.
    Stupid Stupid Stupid move by the FO. Probably one of the stupidest things they did in franchise history IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by captjack View Post
    **** straight.

Somebody said Q chasing dollars?! Too ******* funny.

Q is a grown *** man.

Edit: 81 was loyal to us, we kicked him in the teeth. He should be in Cards ROH, if we had kept him around. Proud of everythings redbirds, not so much how we let Q walk.
    And where did you see this from a verifiable source? I will SPECULATE that they may have had a few cursory contacts but once Q's new agent hit them with what he was expecting they backed away from the table. It's silly to think that Arizona didn't want to keep him but just as silly to think they were going to pay him more than Fitz which is what he was after. It's a business and Q did the right thing and signed for as much money as he could get somewhere else....it IS ABOUT CHASING THE MONEY in this league and you can't fault any player for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer719 View Post
    And where did you see this from a verifiable source? I will SPECULATE that they may have had a few cursory contacts but once Q's new agent hit them with what he was expecting they backed away from the table. It's silly to think that Arizona didn't want to keep him but just as silly to think they were going to pay him more than Fitz which is what he was after. It's a business and Q did the right thing and signed for as much money as he could get somewhere else....it IS ABOUT CHASING THE MONEY in this league and you can't fault any player for doing so.
    I think the reason and story is pretty well known.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4970057

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    I think the reason and story is pretty well known.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4970057
    Not to some apparently.

"Arizona wasn't prepared to offer Boldin the kind of contract he wanted because of his age and injury concerns. He switched agents and kept quiet about a trade demand last season but said his opinion about the situation had not changed."

He wanted too much money and that is why he didn't get his contract. To accuse the FO of lying to him about getting a new deal is just sour grapes. It's all water under the bridge now but not sure we were ever going to sign him for #1WR money under any circumstance. Can you see SK and company playing it any different today?

We've let lots of well like players walk only for them to find success elsewhere. Remember Michael Pittman? I loved watching that guy play and he left to go to Tampa and get a ring the very next year.
    Last edited by boomer719; 08-07-2017 at 09:52 AM.

My same spiel that I've had for years:

1. Boldin's 2003 rookie year blew everyone away. He was incredible. Tough, deceptively fast/quick, great hands. A shining star on a horrible team. The Cardinals realized this and instantly committed to tear up Boldin's relatively paltry rookie deal.
    2. Boldin is hurt (knee) in the 2004 preseason and will eventually miss about half the season as I recall. Regardless, and despite a history of knee issues for Boldin going back to Florida State, the Cardinals live up to their commitment to tear up his rookie deal. Meanwhile, some guy named Fitzgerald shows up.
    3. 2005-2007, Boldin continues to run the tough routes across the middle and doing what Boldin does. Fitzgerald emerges as a solid receiver, but is largely invisible after the catch. Has a habit of catching balls and going down.
    4. Some guy named Haley really starts to push Fitzgerald to reach his potential and doesn't do any gluteal area kissing of Fitzgerald. This culminates in the incredible Fitzgerald playoffs of 2008 all the way to the Super Bowl.
    5. Fitzgerald eventually blows out every incentive in his deal, leading to a restructuring and huge payday. Boldin's fate is sealed, as there is no way the Cardinals can pay top dolllar to two top-5 NFL receivers.

Everything else (agent posturing, Boldin hates this guy or that guy, whatever) is just noise.

The End

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    My same spiel that I've had for years:

1. Boldin's 2003 rookie year blew everyone away. He was incredible. Tough, deceptively fast/quick, great hands. A shining star on a horrible team. The Cardinals realized this and instantly committed to tear up Boldin's relatively paltry rookie deal.
    2. Boldin is hurt (knee) in the 2004 preseason and will eventually miss about half the season as I recall. Regardless, and despite a history of knee issues for Boldin going back to Florida State, the Cardinals live up to their commitment to tear up his rookie deal. Meanwhile, some guy named Fitzgerald shows up.
    3. 2005-2007, Boldin continues to run the tough routes across the middle and doing what Boldin does. Fitzgerald emerges as a solid receiver, but is largely invisible after the catch. Has a habit of catching balls and going down.
    4. Some guy named Haley really starts to push Fitzgerald to reach his potential and doesn't do any gluteal area kissing of Fitzgerald. This culminates in the incredible Fitzgerald playoffs of 2008 all the way to the Super Bowl.
    5. Fitzgerald eventually blows out every incentive in his deal, leading to a restructuring and huge payday. Boldin's fate is sealed, as there is no way the Cardinals can pay top dolllar to two top-5 NFL receivers.

Everything else (agent posturing, Boldin hates this guy or that guy, whatever) is just noise.

The End
    Yeah it just came down to money... Pay Fitz or Boldin the 20 mil contract they wanted .. Cards picked Fitz.. Cant have two 20 mil WR's on the roster.

Q just signed with the Patriots so another SB ring may be in his future.......