Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Stanton

9 20.00%
  • Blaine Gabbert

36 80.00%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Quarterback?

I authored posts proposing we keep younger, still developing Barkley over Stanton, and Gabbert is better and has more potential than Barkley, so you all know where I stand.

Nothing against Drew. Seems like a great guy and he's done what he could do for us. Time to move on though, given the full context.

I was done with Stanton before last season even began. An overpaid underachiever.
    Personally I'd rather have Johnson doing the wildcat than Stanton on the team.
    Opinions are like armpits everyone has a couple & they usually stink.

Too early to tell

If I was forced to choose right now I would stick with Stanton since he has been around the system longer. Hard to judge a QB after just one meaningless pre-season game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardsdingus View Post
    I'm NOT a Drew Stanton hater by any means. But here's my logic. Stanton is what he is... a very good backup QB. Blaine Gabbert, I think, has the chance to still be a quality #1 NFL QB. So, if the question is what I'd prefer to see...I'd prefer to see Gabbert continue to develop in this offense, blow the doors off Stanton in his preseason play, and win the #2 job this year, and then be the answer for who's going to lead the Cardinals after Palmer so we don't have to find and develop a rookie. I think that's the best case scenario for the Cardinals..and that's what they hoped would happen with Barkley.
    What makes Stanton a very good backup QB? Trevor Siemian went 8 and 6 with the Bronco's last year. Tim Tebow went 7 and 4 for the Broncos with a 47% completion percentage. Kapernick can't even get a backup job and took the 49ers to the SB.
    Stanton showed he could have a winning record with a very good team in limited starts. Earl Morrall was a very good backup. Drew Stanton is a mediocre placeholder who knows the system and had limited starts with a very good team. The coaching staff never put him in a position where he had to be very good. He is what he is and that's very replaceable.

So the consensus is Gabbert, and the other consensus seems to be that the only thing going for Stanton is "he knows the system".

Gabbert has better pedigree, better career numbers, is younger, is cheaper, has more upside, and seems to be a quick study. I'm not sure what it would take for those of you who would keep Stanton simply due to his time in Bruce's system. Give Gabbert a year in BA's system as #2 and we will be in such a better position should Palmer leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    So the consensus is Gabbert, and the other consensus seems to be that the only thing going for Stanton is "he knows the system".

Gabbert has better pedigree, better career numbers, is younger, is cheaper, has more upside, and seems to be a quick study. I'm not sure what it would take for those of you who would keep Stanton simply due to his time in Bruce's system. Give Gabbert a year in BA's system as #2 and we will be in such a better position should Palmer leave.
    There is one legitimate argument for keeping Stanton. If Palmer goes down temporarily and during a stretch of games against mediocre opponents you believe having a low risk, low reward QB in place who knows the system will keep us in the hunt until Palmer is healthy. That did play out for awhile in 2014. Of course Palmer didn't come back and it didn't matter. The reality is the scenario is low probability. The cost for that low probability scenario is extremely high.

Has anyone ever heard BA praising Stanton saying he hit his 2nd or 3rd read cause I don't?

I was impressed with Gabbert and hope he continues to improve and impress over the next few weeks and not pull a Logan Thomas one hit wonder.

Before I make any decision I want to see both Stanton and Gabbert against the other teams #1's. Stanton has been a career back up. He is 34 and only started a hand full of games. Sure he has gone 6 and 3 but he didn't win those games. More like he didn't loose those games. Gabbert has been a starter for two different team. Both really sucked because of personnel. Neither were good teams. Gabbert is also 7 years younger than Stanton. One has a chance to improve the other doesn't.

The next two games should give us a better idea of which QB should be the back up. If Gabbert comes out and produces close to what he did against the boys, I don't see any way Stanton can be #2. So he is more familiar with BA's system. He doesn't bring the same dynamics that Gabbert can. He isn't near as accurate, and doesn't have the scrambling ability that Gabbert does.

I know it was against 2nd stringers, but I was impressed with Gabbert on those first two drives. Sure made me sit up and take notice. Guy threw some nice balls. Especially that back shoulder throw over the middle. Where only his guy could have a chance at the ball. That was a big time throw. Another one was to the TE for about 12 yards. Up at the TE head away from the D back shielded by the TE body. D back has no chance to knock that ball down, and only the TE had a chance at the ball. Actually wound up being an easy catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    There is one legitimate argument for keeping Stanton. If Palmer goes down temporarily and during a stretch of games against mediocre opponents you believe having a low risk, low reward QB in place who knows the system will keep us in the hunt until Palmer is healthy. That did play out for awhile in 2014. Of course Palmer didn't come back and it didn't matter. The reality is the scenario is low probability. The cost for that low probability scenario is extremely high.

There's actually more reason than that, for me at least. When Stanton has been on the field with the Cards starting O, he has given me the impression that he has courage, even when the going gets tough. Some QB's have what it takes inside to let a play develop until the last second, sometimes even knowing that it means they're going to get walloped. Others...do not.

I don't know that Blaine Gabbert has that quality.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not in a big hurry to crown Blaine. He's still got some stuff to show me, but I like what I have seen so far.

I think there's a reason he's playing in the 2nd half against the Raiders, after Mack & Co have departed the field.
    The question of Daryl Washington.