Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Stanton

9 20.00%
  • Blaine Gabbert

36 80.00%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: #2 Quarterback?

But Stanton knows the the system better.

Thatd be valuable if being a QB were a written exam.

Y'all putting too much faith in the extra preseason game lol
    The more you care..the more it hurts.

Can we add a "who cares" button? That's the one I would choose.

If the Cardinals need to rely on a back-up QB for anything more than a spot start or two, the season is toast anyway.

If they only need a guy to keep from plowing into an iceberg for a couple of weeks, Stanton has shown he can do it, and I have faith that Gabbert could as well.

Board went from not even wanting him signed to wanting him to take Stanton's spot lol

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Board went from not even wanting him signed to wanting him to take Stanton's spot lol
    LOLOLO...i`m pretty much where i was..no faith in BG as a QBOF ,,But looks like he would make a dang good back up,,at the same time i feel guilty bagging on stanton because the guy has pretty much done what he as been asked to do..except when he did that voodoo stuff on his shoulder and left us with Ryan lindley in the playoffs
    we will see in the next few preseason games..but i think BG has an uphill battle to unseat DS in Arians eyes
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    LOLOLO...i`m pretty much where i was..no faith in BG as a QBOF ,,But looks like he would make a dang good back up,,at the same time i feel guilty bagging on stanton because the guy has pretty much done what he as been asked to do..except when he did that voodoo stuff on his shoulder and left us with Ryan lindley in the playoffs
    we will see in the next few preseason games.. but i think BG has an uphill battle to unseat DS in Arians eyes
    This is the thing that concerns me the most. We know that BA can be loyal to a fault.

If BG continues to show he can play, I'm afraid we will keep 3 QB's on the 53 man roster. I've seen here and from the pundits that this may well happen. If that's the case. I assume that DS would be the backup. Surely they would not pay DS 4 million to be a 3rd stringer.

So that would mean we're going to take up a roster spot just to hang on to BG for a year.

I've said it before and will say it again....what would be the point? IF BG is good enough to take up a roster spot just to hold a clipboard for a year, he's good enough to be the backup QB. After all, its not like he is a rookie and needs to mature. This preseason should be enough to determine if he has a future with us or not.
    Last edited by thomas cat; 08-07-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Anyone willing to bet a buck that Carson will start 16 regular season games this year? I won't. He has tripped on air and got badly hurt in the past.

I would hedge such a bet by keeping the 3rd QB on the active roster. Plus, the PS is vulnerable to other teams' GMs. A good 3rd string b/u QB hung on the PS roster won't last a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    But Stanton knows the the system better.

Thatd be valuable if being a QB were a written exam.
    Stanton will always know the system better then anyone else coming in.. and will also never be our QBoF... so my thoughts are.. how valuable is his knowing the system if he's not our future AND the season is basically over if he's out there for more then a game or 2. I'll also note he's been injury prone when in action.

I'm not in the "OMG Gabbert!" Camp.. but I don't really buy into the "knows the system" as an excuse to keep an expensive backup who hasn't done a whole lot beyond throw a bomb in the eagles game and dance on the sidelines during the hawks game.
    I don't care how you do it, JUST WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Anyone willing to bet a buck that Carson will start 16 regular season games this year? I won't. He has tripped on air and got badly hurt in the past.

I would hedge such a bet by keeping the 3rd QB on the active roster. Plus, the PS is vulnerable to other teams' GMs. A good 3rd string b/u QB hung on the PS roster won't last a month.
    We could have used a Gabbert on the team in 2014 when Palmer then Stanton went down, and we were forced to either dress Logan Thomas or pull Lindley off the couch, so what you say has merit.

As WV says, if we have to go to a QB2 we are pretty much done for anyway.

I'm where Thomas is...I'm afraid BA will be loyal to Stanton in a way that goes on too long like I feel he has with some other players and a coach. There is nothing other than "he knows the system" in Drew's favor. Well, he has had the luxury of being on good teams with good coaching all these years and you know what? His stats are still worse than Gabbert's. I've laid the stats out on this board before. Gabbert has been on bad teams with bad coaching and is way younger yet still has far more starting experience and better numbers. He was better than Drew in high school, in college, and in the NFL. He's cheaper. He actually has a sliver of potential to develop into a legit QB1, whereas Stanton does not. Like Thomas I'm afraid BA will again go with the devil he knows at QB2 for no other reason than loyalty, yet keep BG and waste a roster spot. Much better to give Gabbert a clear signal that he has a legit shot at taking the reins after Palmer, and giving him the full playbook and reps of a QB2 in a year's worth of practice. Unless Drew is kept on with a clear understanding his job is to mentor Blaine along, I don't want him between Palmer and Gabbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    We could have used a Gabbert on the team in 2014 when Palmer then Stanton went down, and we were forced to either dress Logan Thomas or pull Lindley off the couch, so what you say has merit.

As WV says, if we have to go to a QB2 we are pretty much done for anyway.

I'm where Thomas is...I'm afraid BA will be loyal to Stanton in a way that goes on too long like I feel he has with some other players and a coach. There is nothing other than "he knows the system" in Drew's favor. Well, he has had the luxury of being on good teams with good coaching all these years and you know what? His stats are still worse than Gabbert's. I've laid the stats out on this board before. Gabbert has been on bad teams with bad coaching and is way younger yet still has far more starting experience and better numbers. He was better than Drew in high school, in college, and in the NFL. He's cheaper. He actually has a sliver of potential to develop into a legit QB1, whereas Stanton does not. Like Thomas I'm afraid BA will again go with the devil he knows at QB2 for no other reason than loyalty, yet keep BG and waste a roster spot. Much better to give Gabbert a clear signal that he has a legit shot at taking the reins after Palmer, and giving him the full playbook and reps of a QB2 in a year's worth of practice. Unless Drew is kept on with a clear understanding his job is to mentor Blaine along, I don't want him between Palmer and Gabbert.
    Maybe the Cards aren't done with the season if Blaine replaces Carson. How the heck could anyone know that? Because Blaine played QB just average or poorly under six or seven previous OCs and as many HCs?

The PS game day performances should clear up the questions regarding who gets the #2 job. At this time, we just don't know what Gabbert can do with the first team Offense. Also, I think BA is managing the 3 QBs perfectly. He's only promised Carson a job for as long as he can stand up from the sideline sofa.