Thread: Our 2017 Cards Defense

Default Our 2017 Cards Defense

Now that we have our first preseason game out of the way I'll start the defense and how I see things progressing. Ill start with the line. Then go to the LB's and I'll separate them. Then finish with the D backs. First let me say O don't think our defense will be as potent at the beginning of the year as towards the end of the year. We have a lot of questions marks on defense just like we do on offense.

Now on to the line.

We have the players to really have an out standing line. But ( ah the but ) some have to take the next step.

Nkindiche is the focal point of the line. He is the only one on the line that can cause havoc like CC did when CC wanted to. It's imperative for him to have a good year for this line to preform up to it's capabilities.

Mauro is the unsung member of the line. He doesn't have gaudy stats or a fist full of sacks. All he does is his job which lets all the rest of the D do theirs at a better clip. I'd actually like to have a couple more of him. He doesn't make mistakes on the field and seldom ever is out of position.

Peters is the NT. he isn't a typical NT. We all know that, but he fits with what the Cards try and do with their D line. It's more an attacking line rather than one who scoops up the blockers. He is also one of the few with a lot of experience on the D line.

Gunter needs to take the next step. I don't know if it will be as a NT or DT or DE. The guy has all the tools. He just needs to put it together. He actually regressed some last year. so this year ne needs to step it up and contribute.

Pierre is a guy the coaches are in love with. They say he has everything it take to be a star in this league. Where have I heard that before. Another one who needs to show more, and make a name for himself.

I'm not a big Rucker fan, simply because of his age. He has been hurt the last two year and I really think he has lost a step or more at this stage. Good presence in the locker room and the D line room. Just don't think you can expect him to contribute that much anymore. If our other D linemen are as good as the coaches say I don't see him as a starter. I'd actually hate to see him starting. That means other guys haven't stepped up.

Williams we have heard about now for two year. Time for him to put up or shut up. Supposed to have everything the coaches are looking for in a NT. Then why isn't he getting on the field more ?

Stinson I don't think makes the team this year. He really hasn't done much in his time with the club. I think we have better than him now.

The rest I really don't know about. There could be a sleeper in the bunch. More like one of them makes the PS. Maybe two. I don't see the Cards picking up anyone during camp or just after camp unless we have a lot of injuries on the D line.

Not a bad group, and actually has promise. Couple guys need to take the next step this year for that to happen though. Think at the outset we miss CC, but as time goes on the group jells and can actually become one of the top 6 in football. It's just not a typical 3 man defensive line, and isn't used in traditional fashion as a 3 man line.

Well that's my take on our D line. What's your and do you see one of the new guys cracking the ones I've mentioned ?

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Now that we have our first preseason game out of the way I'll start the defense and how I see things progressing. Ill start with the line. Then go to the LB's and I'll separate them. Then finish with the D backs. First let me say O don't think our defense will be as potent at the beginning of the year as towards the end of the year. We have a lot of questions marks on defense just like we do on offense.

Now on to the line.

We have the players to really have an out standing line. But ( ah the but ) some have to take the next step.

Nkindiche is the focal point of the line. He is the only one on the line that can cause havoc like CC did when CC wanted to. It's imperative for him to have a good year for this line to preform up to it's capabilities.

Mauro is the unsung member of the line. He doesn't have gaudy stats or a fist full of sacks. All he does is his job which lets all the rest of the D do theirs at a better clip. I'd actually like to have a couple more of him. He doesn't make mistakes on the field and seldom ever is out of position.

Peters is the NT. he isn't a typical NT. We all know that, but he fits with what the Cards try and do with their D line. It's more an attacking line rather than one who scoops up the blockers. He is also one of the few with a lot of experience on the D line.

Gunter needs to take the next step. I don't know if it will be as a NT or DT or DE. The guy has all the tools. He just needs to put it together. He actually regressed some last year. so this year ne needs to step it up and contribute.

Pierre is a guy the coaches are in love with. They say he has everything it take to be a star in this league. Where have I heard that before. Another one who needs to show more, and make a name for himself.

I'm not a big Rucker fan, simply because of his age. He has been hurt the last two year and I really think he has lost a step or more at this stage. Good presence in the locker room and the D line room. Just don't think you can expect him to contribute that much anymore. If our other D linemen are as good as the coaches say I don't see him as a starter. I'd actually hate to see him starting. That means other guys haven't stepped up.

Williams we have heard about now for two year. Time for him to put up or shut up. Supposed to have everything the coaches are looking for in a NT. Then why isn't he getting on the field more ?

Stinson I don't think makes the team this year. He really hasn't done much in his time with the club. I think we have better than him now.

The rest I really don't know about. There could be a sleeper in the bunch. More like one of them makes the PS. Maybe two. I don't see the Cards picking up anyone during camp or just after camp unless we have a lot of injuries on the D line.

Not a bad group, and actually has promise. Couple guys need to take the next step this year for that to happen though. Think at the outset we miss CC, but as time goes on the group jells and can actually become one of the top 6 in football. It's just not a typical 3 man defensive line, and isn't used in traditional fashion as a 3 man line.

Well that's my take on our D line. What's your and do you see one of the new guys cracking the ones I've mentioned ?
    I'd say Peters is the focal point of the line. Especially with CC gone. Gotta have that run-stuffer stuffing runs.

Nkemdiche is more of a Dockett.

Rucker is better than you give him credit for. So is Mauro.

Pierre at this point is nothing more than "potential." Yup, we hear raves about him constantly, but until he does it on the field, it's meaningless.

Williams doesn't get on the field much because Peters is by far the best run-stopper (with CC gone) and Arizona doesn't play base very many snaps, so it will be tough for Williams to see action as long as Peters is healthy and playing as well as he is.

If Gunter progresses, the DL is very, very deep, which is why Keim was OK with letting CC get overpaid elsewhere.

As I saw the Jaguars games, I keyed in on Calais Campbell. I know he only played the first series. But I'm more certain now than I was before. CC production from last year had more to do with Chandler Jones and the emergence of Markus Golden than him. He was nowhere near the ball against the Bucs. He got double team a couple of times but for the most part, he was one on one.

Not saying we are not going to miss him as a person and a leader. But football wise, he become more productive as a role player not a focal point

First I don't take much stock of pre season games. Especially for 1st team guys. There their to get the reps and get the bodies used to getting beat on. But what you said I believe is probably true. You look at all the great lines of the past. From the Hags a couple years ago to the Steelers of many years past. All had 3 guys on the line who could get after the QB. You can't double team 3 guys, so that lets someone one on one. And it's really hard to double team a D end or an outside LB.

Now the question is who becomes CC. Who is the guy that's going to take advantage of Jones and Golden getting the attention. Someone has to step up and fill that spot. If someone does this line will be just as good getting after the QB as last years line. We have a couple 3 candidates now one has to take that step.

To the guy who thinks I dissed Mauero. Bud you need to learn how to read and comprehend. I didn't diss him at all. Not with me saying I would like a couple more of him. No the guy isn't a big sack machine, but he is very important to what this line does in the run game. And occasionally you'll see him in the backfield around the QB.