Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Cardinals could be looking for new punters

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    Umm...how so?

FG and KO are covered with Phil Dawson. The main special team players that were hurt last year are now healthy. There is and will be a influx of speed from the young players that will make the team.

Yes TJ Logan's injury is a set back, for awhile.

And the Coach just put a fire under the punting competition. The punting will get better and all this lamenting and rehashing of opinions over Butler's time here is a waste of effort. And is moot for the here and now.

So not sure how you get "We are a month out from the season and ST are still a wreck. All off-season and we can't fix this problem."?

Care to elaborate?

JosEPh
    I thought our coverage and punting teams were bad in 2015 and 2016. The difference is they were working out of better field position because our O was producing more yards per drive. If you believe that the FG where just a result of the kicker Dawson may well be the answer. I think it was more than the kicker. I think the snap, hold and blocking were part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Only people like you can create grand, unsupported theories as to why they were kept.

Bottom line... you don't like Arians and everything you say stems from that.
    Call me a sensitive snowflake, but just in case I'm lumped in with that group I must protest a tad. First I have no comment on Cantanzaro, keeping him was fine and I had no issues with it notwithstanding his occasional issues. Now Butler is a different matter. Am I saying there's a grand, unsupported theory? Well, I don't know. The only point I make is that the stated reason(s) for keeping Butler ("his stats are good", etc.) were absolute nonsense, lies, so there is/was another reason. Lying for a week or four is not the biggest deal, lying for two years is another matter entirely. So the people who stated the lies (Arians, Keim) have to own the outcome. What would suck for them is if it was Mike Bidwill walking over and saying "Butler stays no matter how bad he plays", but I think the chances of that are essentially zero. So in the vacuum of nonsense I can only speculate, and my theory is the Georgia connection with Kevin Butler, aka daddy. Grand? No, I don't think so. Unsupported? Yes. But it's no more ridiculous than the guy who says he wants to win a Super Bowl and the guy in charge of putting the best players on the field telling me that what I'm watching on Sundays isn't really what I'm watching on Sundays.

All we can do is watch on Sundays and see if the guys who own the multi-year lousy kicking game have it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    Call me a sensitive snowflake, but just in case I'm lumped in with that group I must protest a tad. First I have no comment on Cantanzaro, keeping him was fine and I had no issues with it notwithstanding his occasional issues. Now Butler is a different matter. Am I saying there's a grand, unsupported theory? Well, I don't know. The only point I make is that the stated reason(s) for keeping Butler ("his stats are good", etc.) were absolute nonsense, lies, so there is/was another reason. Lying for a week or four is not the biggest deal, lying for two years is another matter entirely. So the people who stated the lies (Arians, Keim) have to own the outcome. What would suck for them is if it was Mike Bidwill walking over and saying "Butler stays no matter how bad he plays", but I think the chances of that are essentially zero. So in the vacuum of nonsense I can only speculate, and my theory is the Georgia connection with Kevin Butler, aka daddy. Grand? No, I don't think so. Unsupported? Yes. But it's no more ridiculous than the guy who says he wants to win a Super Bowl and the guy in charge of putting the best players on the field telling me that what I'm watching on Sundays isn't really what I'm watching on Sundays.

All we can do is watch on Sundays and see if the guys who own the multi-year lousy kicking game have it fixed.
    As pointed to earlier, the reason Butler was back in 2016 is related to his inside the 20 kicks in 2015, which resulted from consistent better field position. Did they hang on to him too long? I think so, but it was a matter of weeks, not years. Did who his Dad is come into play at some point? Perhaps, but more important - he was once an All-American punter in College.
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

As pointed to earlier, the reason Butler was back in 2016 is related to his inside the 20 kicks in 2015, which resulted from consistent better field position. Did they hang on to him too long? I think so, but it was a matter of weeks, not years. Did who his Dad is come into play at some point? Perhaps, but more important - he was once an All-American punter in College.
    OK, it was a matter of 16 weeks, not 32.

Seriously why all the hate going to BASK over special teams? If you all want a good special teams ask Whiz to take the reins again. With a limited roster teams have to choose what type of players they want. BASK focuses more on depth and skills to important positions. Special teams can and will improve but nobody should fault the architects when this team has become one of the best in the league year after year.

Well, I was at the game like many of you and watched both punters nearly bang it out of the stadium. Maybe things aren't all fire and brimstone.
    Once my pants are on, I make the playoffs- Ayy Zee Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by native az View Post
    Please.........
    The sunshine that you are blowing isn't even giving me a tickle.

Punting was a major problem last year and as the cliché says this is a game of inches.

If we had a punter this would not be a thing. We have less than a month and these game count. Punting is a part of the game and we don't have a solution yet.
    That's a great line about the sunshine and it fits Joseph to a T. He does not like any criticism of his heroes. He's been blowing smoke up their .......for years.
    Only people like you can create grand, unsupported theories as to why they were kept.

Bottom line... you don't like Arians and everything you say stems from that.
    And your always objecting to people opinions on opinion board. You want FBI data to "prove" what we are saying is true. Okay Sherlock.

Keeping Butler for two years was very deep state stuff. (that probably went over your head).
    Remember the Butler game in the NFC championship game? Poor field position exposed him horribly. He was among the worst punters in the league for two years. I think a lot of it had to do with his dad's connection here. Old man bidwill was probably pulling the strings on this one. Punters/kickers have a very short shelf life when they don't perform. Look at Tbay and the release of their second round pick.

YOu combine the bad special teams play and it's abysmal coach and the punter being kept and you seriously can ask yourself "how serious is this franchise in wanting a championship".

Quote Originally Posted by AZCrazy View Post
    Well, I was at the game like many of you and watched both punters nearly bang it out of the stadium. Maybe things aren't all fire and brimstone.
    Exactly.

I was very happy I got to see the game from doho's link. The only "sour" point in the ST play was Wile's bad FG attempt. He has no business being a back up FG kicker.

Other than that it was a workmen like job by ST overall. KW's KO return was good to see.

Wile and Leone both only had 1 punt each. They better do as well next game. The 1st one to blink will be gone imho.

JosEPh
    Last edited by JosEPh_II; 08-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genken View Post
    Seriously why all the hate going to BASK over special teams? If you all want a good special teams ask Whiz to take the reins again. With a limited roster teams have to choose what type of players they want. BASK focuses more on depth and skills to important positions. Special teams can and will improve but nobody should fault the architects when this team has become one of the best in the league year after year.
    I think the "hate" comes from the following, in no particular order:

1. Arians is never at a loss for words when it comes to his desire to win a Super Bowl, implying he will leave no stone unturned to make it happen.
    2. Keim is Arians' boss, or at least Arians has a dotted line to Keim. Keim is responsible for putting the best players on the field. When Keim doesn't put the best players on the field he's open to criticism. Just like you and me, when we screw up at work.
    3. Butler was a two year stink bomb. Yes, 2015 it wasn't as big of a deal because of the offense's performance, but Butler didn't kick from the 50 every time.
    4. As Butler's two year stink bomb progresses into 2016 and can no longer be hidden, the larger question of the non-NFL caliber kicking game comes into focus among fans and media, Arians responds that the kicking game unit is being coached "extremely, extremely well" and dishes out a proverbial middle finger to the fan base who knows what it is watching is total garbage.

So I think that's a start on where all of the "hate" (I call it accountability, but that's just me) is coming from. The kicking game is 1/3 of the units that take the field on Sundays, coaches ignore it or deny reality at their peril.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    That's a great line about the sunshine and it fits Joseph to a T. He does not like any criticism of his heroes. He's been blowing smoke up their .......for years.

And your always objecting to people opinions on opinion board. You want FBI data to "prove" what we are saying is true. Okay Sherlock.

Keeping Butler for two years was very deep state stuff. (that probably went over your head).

Remember the Butler game in the NFC championship game? Poor field position exposed him horribly. He was among the worst punters in the league for two years. I think a lot of it had to do with his dad's connection here. Old man bidwill was probably pulling the strings on this one. Punters/kickers have a very short shelf life when they don't perform. Look at Tbay and the release of their second round pick.

YOu combine the bad special teams play and it's abysmal coach and the punter being kept and you seriously can ask yourself "how serious is this franchise in wanting a championship".
    As said - unsupported, ludicrous conspiracy theories.

And, I don't doubt, given your vivid imagination, you could bang on and on about the "deep state", the Trilateral Commission and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion - to the amusement of all.
    Last edited by Crazy-Canuck; 08-14-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.