38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Stanton

13 34.21%
  • Blaine Gabbert

25 65.79%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: #2 Quarterback part II

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Kizer was my choice as well, simply because he was exactly what Arians wants in a QB. I wanted Keim to take him instead of Chad Williams, but it is what it is,

Agree as well on Darnold. Disagree on Rudolph. Have watched him for 2 years here in the Big-12, and haven't seen him progress much in terms of what will translate to the NFL.

He has one quality I like- he has the pocket presence to step up when pocket is collapsing around him instead of bailing back and out (ahem, Kolb.) But that's about it.

His accuracy is OK. Not bad, but not great.

The main red flag is that the Okla St route tree is absurdly basic. He has made zero NFL reads.

Reminds me a lot of Weeden.
    Rule RE QBs: Focus on what they can do. Not what they cant do.

There is no perfect QB candidate with accuracy, pocket presence, pro style college offense, leadership, maturity, etc. etc. They all have warts. Sam Darnold included.

Given we arent picking #1 overall and our options will be limited, Mason Rudolph is our best option, not the best option. Just because hes from a flukey air raid offense doesnt mean he cant play pro style. His positives are very good. His negatives or unknowns will determine whether hes a bust or not. Who knows.

This talk revolving around QB's is only mildly interesting to me. The plan I perceive that MBSK are following is trying to keep the team very competitive for the next two to three years. Teams like Seattle and Carolina and the Giants have been at the top and are trying to maintain this competitiveness for their demanding fan-base while they still have very talented veterans at their core.

Cardinal leadership must consider themselves in that type of mix and feel they can fend off the up and coming teams like Detroit and Tampa Bay and Dallas. So, what I see happening is the Cardinals having a playoff year, maybe even an NFC conference championship game year, and our leadership only looking to tweak next year's roster in order to remain a viable SB contender. No inexperienced rookie is going to be given the keys to the huddle and there may not be any high-profile QB worthy of BA available in FA. QB's are too valuable to lose.

So, what do my tea leaves say? I see CP quieting his critics and getting in the playoffs and maybe exciting him enough, regardless of our post-season performance, to seriously consider one more year. If he does hang them up (SB?) team leadership may see us having 'bridge QB's' already on the roster. This gives us a tangible chance at another playoff-run and buys us another year to groom a QB draft choice. Remember, any QB draft choice, outside of a blockbuster draft day trade, will be way down any round we choose him.

Rallying around the team we have this year is my preferred play. It is clear to me how top-ten competitive we are and the assembled teams under SKBA represent the best teams, the most scary-good teams, I have witnessed in the past five decades in three cities. Relish what you are witnessing and enjoy this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    This talk revolving around QB's is only mildly interesting to me. The plan I perceive that MBSK are following is trying to keep the team very competitive for the next two to three years. Teams like Seattle and Carolina and the Giants have been at the top and are trying to maintain this competitiveness for their demanding fan-base while they still have very talented veterans at their core.

Cardinal leadership must consider themselves in that type of mix and feel they can fend off the up and coming teams like Detroit and Tampa Bay and Dallas. So, what I see happening is the Cardinals having a playoff year, maybe even an NFC conference championship game year, and our leadership only looking to tweak next year's roster in order to remain a viable SB contender. No inexperienced rookie is going to be given the keys to the huddle and there may not be any high-profile QB worthy of BA available in FA. QB's are too valuable to lose.

So, what do my tea leaves say? I see CP quieting his critics and getting in the playoffs and maybe exciting him enough, regardless of our post-season performance, to seriously consider one more year. If he does hang them up (SB?) team leadership may see us having 'bridge QB's' already on the roster. This gives us a tangible chance at another playoff-run and buys us another year to groom a QB draft choice. Remember, any QB draft choice, outside of a blockbuster draft day trade, will be way down any round we choose him.

Rallying around the team we have this year is my preferred play. It is clear to me how top-ten competitive we are and the assembled teams under SKBA represent the best teams, the most scary-good teams, I have witnessed in the past five decades in three cities. Relish what you are witnessing and enjoy this coming year.
    Agreed Tom, especially in regards to your last statement.

JosEPh
    Last edited by JosEPh_II; 08-16-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post

I agree with you. The best way to maintain consistency for any team is keeping a strong O-line and D-line. A very strong O-line can mask other offensive deficiencies and the same with defense. I will never second guess a lineman pick in the first unless it is an obvious over reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    The reality is KC has a very experienced HC who also coached Favre and went to a SB with Donovan McNabb. They made the trade because they thought he was worth it and he wasn't dropping to them. They had a trading partner and were willing to give up huge value to make the deal.

It's hard for me to believe that we would take Reddick over Mahomes. I love Reddick but a dynamic, playmaking QB is the cornerstone of a franchise. A very good inside LB isn't. Reddick may well be just as much of a project as Mahomes. There's a reason huge value was given up for a QB and not for Reddick. It had nothing to do with draft boards that said we loved Mahomes, there were all kinds of rumors about who we would pick. It doesn't take a genius to know Palmer is a bit fragile and old by NFL standards and Stanton isn't the answer to the future. Projecting Mahomes to us by newspapers and so called draft experts wasn't all that difficult. It's clear we need a QB of the future and we have an aging HC who could help develop him with a very short window...A cornerstone QB is worth a hundred athletic inside LB's.
    IMO Arians is done looking for a future QB. I think he will be around as long as CP is around. If that is the case he will go down as a failure here in my book. Time will tell though.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Quote Originally Posted by native az View Post
    IMO Arians is done looking for a future QB.
    Good thing Steve Keim is in charge of the Draft and the 53-man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by native az View Post
    IMO Arians is done looking for a future QB. I think he will be around as long as CP is around. If that is the case he will go down as a failure here in my book. Time will tell though.
    Where are you getting these ideas from? Were you out in the sun too long today? Any HC that is not continually "looking" is a HC that is walking out the door right now.

JosEPh

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Good thing Steve Keim is in charge of the Draft and the 53-man roster.
    SK hasn't proven he can pick a QB either.

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    Where are you getting these ideas from? Were you out in the sun too long today? Any HC that is not continually "looking" is a HC that is walking out the door right now.

JosEPh
    I have seen poor QB play out of this franchise for far too long that is for sure.
    Still searching for our QBOF.