Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Anti Panic Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    Well, I guess I feel about like Patriot fans only worse. They know that things will turn around there, or are at least 90% sure. I feel kinda blindsided by our O, wasn't expecting that.

We got a hurt LT and a hurt RB out of it and I'm still wondering why Veldheer wasn't slid over to LT. Be interesting to see if he's at LT next week if DJ is out for a few weeks. There must be something to that picture that I'm not aware of because it just seems like a no-brainer to slide Veldheer over there in that situation.

The Pats know that Brady will likely be in a groove next week. I can't say that about Palmer. He was hot garbage for the duration. We all saw it. Gawd I hope he straightens himself out next week.

You know what else? BA's been here for 4 solid years now and these teams are way up on his "no risk it, no biscuit" schemes. I'm starting to think that whole gambit has about played its course.

Fitz not catching that TD pass kinda made me raise an eyebrow too. Was the entire energy level just way off on O or WHAT?

You know what our O looked like? Like a bunch of guys that been on vacation for months and just all showed up for the first day of work. Yeah, they did that OTA's, and preseason stuff and meetings and today it was time to really go to WORK.
    But some guys just couldn't get all the way in that mode. Last year it was about Palmer wearing his arm out too fast, and now it'll be about rust.
    The number of times the ball hit the ground when thrown in Fitz's direction was baffling. Maybe I expect him to be super human. But I will be amazed if there is a game in his whole career that the ball went incomplete, when thrown to him, so many times. Hopefully its just an anomaly. And he will be back on track next week.

I'm not too down. I thought Detroit on the Road was a very tough ask. Yes they played bad, with very few upsides. But What is unexpected? The team has been on the down grade for a while. Until Arians is gone, it will likely continue on that downgrade.
    Hopefully a new coach next year can begin to get the Cards back to the heady days of Whiz, Superbowls and post season wins. The BA experiment has IMO been lousy, apart from a few nice regular season wins. Kind of like Cincinnati. Lets get back to Whiz days where the Cards are winning in January and making everyone feel great.
    Until then. Its like the old days. An occasional win. A few good individuals. Dreaming that next year, with a good draft, the Cards can be legit. Its not like we haven't been here before.
    Twickers bound.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Yeah, I get it. There is a lot to boo about. I'm not gonna pretend there isn't. But let's at least discuss the pros and cons of the game.

Cons:

Hump got injured. This is a huge component of the game that people will miss. Not just because Hump was showing signs of success, but mainly because his replacement, Wetzel, was downright awful. His pass protection was sub Levi Brown bad. Numerous times the DE only had to give 1 move to get by him. FIX? If Hump doesn't return I would seriously consider moving Veldheer back over.

Carson played poorly. CP has never been the type to carry a team on his back. He also has a history riddled with panic when he feels the rush. He was ruffled before Wetzel came in, he was terrible afterwards. Our O was unwatchable mainly due to CP and Wetzel. (Also, Detroit's D was VERY good today).

Too many TO's. Detroit had far too many first possessions in Cardinal territory. You can blame CP, his targets, or his pass protection, but in the end it doesn't matter. DJ's injury might have contributed to his TO.

ST had a few blunders. 1. Gave up way too much pressure on the left side for the FG botch. 2. Inconceivably couldn't get a paw on a PERFECT onside kick.

Pros:

Well, the D played well until our O completely took their legs out. The starting position was often awful. And they were on the field FAR TOO long (-7 minutes).

Bethel, Bynes and Reddick made a showing. Our Dline absolutely blew up the Oline on run plays. PP was dominant. I also thought we got pressure, but Stafford just played well in the pocket. He refused to let us convert them into sacks.

They also didn't run on us. Their RBs went 21 for 52.

Our WRs were fine. It was pointless to panic over the position. WHEN CP got the ball to them they made plays.

We have a real punter.
    Appreciate the effort Raze. But this forum is Toxic and can't do anything but spout waste right now. They don't want to discuss the game, just want to 'cuss the Team and anyone associated with it from Owner on down.

This forum was/is over run with football barbarians that only want to lay waste to anyone and everything. This forum right now suxs and suxs badly. Toxic posters with toxic rants most fueled by alcohol and diminished objectivity.

We ie the Team played poorly yesterday, starting with CP but it's not the end of the season. The idea of "tanking" that is so prevalent in multiple threads is abhorrent and a disgrace. Even mods are chiming in on this area. Sad day for this forum.

The loss was disappointing, but the reactions to the loss from this board is pathetic.

JosEPh

The reason there is panic is because people were more than willing to carry over last years results to this year. All off season people were preaching about how we were top 10 in offense and defense. All off season people talked about that we lost games due to special teams. This type of though process blocked out the ability to see that Carson would be a year older. Larry would be a year older. That we had lost a lot on defense. That we had not improved the kicking game, or special teams, and that mid round draft picks and 1st rounders still weren't contributing.

Fast forward to yesterday and the house of Cards comes tumbling down. Now all of the flaws mentioned above plus injuries, and poor oline play have now come to the surface. You have people talking fire the coach, put in Gabbert (God help us), and throw the season. All because there was some fantasy that this was a contending team. We never were and we have been deteriorating since we played the Packers almost 3 years ago.
    Last edited by native az; 09-11-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    Appreciate the effort Raze. But this forum is Toxic and can't do anything but spout waste right now. They don't want to discuss the game, just want to 'cuss the Team and anyone associated with it from Owner on down.

This forum was/is over run with football barbarians that only want to lay waste to anyone and everything. This forum right now suxs and suxs badly. Toxic posters with toxic rants most fueled by alcohol and diminished objectivity.

We ie the Team played poorly yesterday, starting with CP but it's not the end of the season. The idea of "tanking" that is so prevalent in multiple threads is abhorrent and a disgrace. Even mods are chiming in on this area. Sad day for this forum.

The loss was disappointing, but the reactions to the loss from this board is pathetic.

JosEPh

The Cardinals needed to have a bullet proof OL to win with an aging statue at QB and a dynamic running back. It was strange they didn't move Valdheer over to LT but maybe he's to slow at this point? It's pretty clear Iupati and Shipley are pedestrian players at best and maybe backup depth guys at worst. I'm not sure how they get this fixed. I can see this going south fast.

As crappy as the Colts looked yesterday, I suspect at home this may not be a walkover. This is a classic trap game. The Cardinals can't afford to think this is a walkover. They better play angry or this season could get out of hand quickly.

I'm not a guy who hates on Arians or thinks he's a system HC. I think he's a solid coach who is fundamentally sound. He is also old and was ill last year. Being an NFL HC is a tough deal. It's 24/7 and it's all about details. That said, I think the Cardinals organization uses Arians as part of their hype machine and it may work against them. I dumped my season tickets this year. I got a call before the draft from the organization asking me to renew for several years at an increased price. I told them I wanted to wait until after the draft and FA to see what the team looked like. Their response was prices are not a reflection of the quality of the team. My response was I'm not paying an increase to watch a crappy product. That's not a reflection of being a band wagon fan. I don't mind losing if the product is decent and I see progress. Last years product was almost unwatchable from the point of view of sound football. The Cardinals aren't sold out. This organization has to turn their attitude around from the top down and do it quickly. The players aren't going to follow Arians if the team isn't winning. They may well need a hard disciplinarian to rebuild this thing going forward. It's a QB driven league but games are still won at the point of attack. We have done an awful job building a solid OL. Either they get that fixed or this thing will roll down hill on them fast. Bidwell is going to have to decide if he's going to ** the fans or build a winner and do it quickly. Yesterday's game was almost unwatchable. The quality of play by the Cardinals was embarrassing.

This can get turned around but it could also roll downhill very fast. Keim and Arians jobs are on the line and so are a lot of veteran players. It's time to produce or get out.
    Last edited by Biggs; 09-11-2017 at 08:35 AM.

The Cardinals are like the old guys at a college bar, hoping to get lucky just once.

But, seriously the next game will be telling. If we struggle to just beat or lose to the Colts, then the season is already in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post

JosEPh
    The NFL is the one sport that causes the most drastic over-reactions on a week to week basis. Every game has become life and death. And the most passionate fans tend to post and tend to push the edges of over-reaction either direction.

I am never ever ever ever for tanking. Ever. Losing is toxic and the things you do to tank take years to wash out and then the player you tanked for may not even work out the way you hope (Andrew Luck, anyone?).

On the other side, I just noticed on the home page 91% of about 3700 poll respondents have the Cardinals winning 10+ games this year. Nearly 1/3 thought 12+ games. This organization has won 12+ games 1 time in its existence. So irrational expectations lead to irrational letdowns.

I posted several times they looked 8-8 to me. I tried to base this on trends and additions/subtractions made. The reality appears to be that this team got old and slow really quickly. Injuries, time and some of those additions/subtractions all have contributed. Iupati, Mathieu, John Brown, Veldheer and Palmer all looked like declined or quickly declining players since last year. None of those played in a way yesterday to change that. On the contrary they actually looked exactly as they have been trending.

BA appears to me to be out of solutions with this roster and more specifically this QB and OL combo. I love CP3. He's my favorite player, and he isn't going to stink like that every game this season. It won't happen. But he may be actually noticeably eroding and the data will bear it out one way or the other. Those other guys I listed, I don't have much hope for returning to anywhere near where they were. As I said after the game HB isn't HB anymore. And until he is, he ain't. That's not irrational, that's a performance based fact at this point. This organization has been trending towards less than average since the GB regular season game in 2015. That's not irrational fan angst, that's performance based fact.

As for the remainder of the season, I again, never want them to tank. Realistically, they can't save the season against INDY. But they could lose the season.

Even if they win, Week 3 is the real test and the real start of the season.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

Don't think its time to panic. Many teams week 1 did not look good or ready for the first game of the season. Perhaps because teams in recent years do not use their starters in preseason anymore.

Yesterday looked like game 17 of the 2016 season. If that isn't enough to make people panic, I can't imagine what would be.