Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 QB class

Quote Originally Posted by FLCardinalFan View Post
    All in on your idea.

We need some pay cuts to help the team

They also gave Tyrann Mathieu too much too soon
    Nothing that can be done about Honey Badger in 2018 unless for some reason he agreed to a restructure/cheaper contract. Heís too expensive dead money-wise to cut until later seasons. Badger and Gresham are the two contracts that hurt us next year, with not much we can do about it.

We have to decide if we want to extend Bucannon.

Fitz provides cap space with his contract ending, but we may want to keep him around as a mentor and leader who can still produce. Be the example of work ethic for young players. Fitz still costs us almost $5 million next year in dead cap, btw, even without being under contract. Ouch.

We are an old team now, but much of our age is not under contract next year. Guys like Dansby, Peters, Boone, T Williams, Branch and Rucker. Others, like Palmer, Bethea and Dawson could be gone. We get really young after all those guys. The old guys left would be AP and Lee, who both seem to have a bit left in them and will just be under contract a year anyway.

We could cut some ďmiddle agedĒ in both or either Iupati and Veldheer. Both would save $6-7 million which may be better spent towards young Olinemen who can grow with Humphries and a rookie QB.

I think if Palmer retires, we cut one of the Olinemen, cut Bethea, cut Dawson, cut Shipley and donít re-sign Fitz we have upwards of $70 million in cap. If Palmer plays, $50 million. It might be worth keeping him a year if heís willing to help transition us to a rookie QBOF. We will need a QB2 as Palmer is actually our only QB under contract in 2018. Maybe Gabbert looks ok but not great after a look this season and they can extend him reasonably at QB2 money.

Throw the kitchen sink at one of these 2018 QBs in the first. Time to get one. Use the $40-50 million cap left on the best young Olinemen FA or trade you can get your hands on. Look draft or FA/trades and remaining cap for CBs, WRs and DEís. Try out some young cheap kickers and replace Dawson.

Our LT is good and we may yet have decent young talent at a G or C position. RBs are good with DJ and AP and hopefully Logan. Lots of young defense that is good or has potential yet. Peterson, Honey Badger, Baker, Reddick, Bucannon, Jones and Golden at OLB, Gunter, Mauro, Nkemdiche.

$50 million and a draft should find you a DE, CB, NT, a few Olinemen and WRs to begin to be competitive with a young team. A few cheap one year vet Keim specials can fill in the holes. They did a bigger roster overhaul in 2013 with a worse starting roster and less cap space, and can do it again.

Caveat...I think to do all this we need a new coach and coaching staff with a new vision, just like in 2013.

one of you guys that know all the players in the QB sweepstakes should do a poll now and then one at the end of season just to see how much opinion changes......anonymous maybe you get a lot more votes that way
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

I am hoping we only manage to win up to two more games otherwise we will drafting in the middle and would have to fork out a few picks to move into the top 10 for our QB of choice.

I know itís just Fantasy Football but at QB the cream rises to the top. In my league I noticed half the top 8 QBs are youngsters...Watson, Wentz, Prescott and Goff. Wilson, Brady, Smith and Cousins also up there. Itís amazing guys with 1 or 2 years experience are performing at this high a level so soon. I hope we find a guy who can make such an immediate impact.

Thumbs down

Not-gonna-happens, but heres some new names

Nic Shimonek, Texas Tech. 70% compl, 28 TDs, 7 INTs. Thats pretty good. Last year he was at 65%, 6-1. So hes got some natural accuracy on him.

Riley Ferguson, Memphis. 62% career compl. Not great, but not bad. 32-10 last year, 28-7 this year.

Jarret Stidham, Auburn. 67%. 13-3 this year, 12-2 last year. Oddly low numbers. I guess its hard to throw INTs when you never throw the ball.

I actually dug through all the eligible QBs and its pretty bare bones.
    Last edited by Zaz; 11-16-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Never seen Shimonek so can't comment.

Ferguson I saw against UCLA earlier in the season and went toe to toe with Rosen, he was really impressive along with Anthony Miller (my favourite WR in the class, possibly a round 2 or 3 guy, he is a stud). Kinda reminded me of a poor man's Derek Carr in that he had the same gutsy attitude and threw the ball with abit of swag (sorry there is no other way I can describe it). Definitely a guy I'd spend a 4th/5th rounder on if we don't get a guy on day 1 or 2.

Stidham not seen alot but I know he was picked as a 'sleeper' in this class, don't think he has lived up to expectation however.

Posted this in another thread, but technically it belongs in here:

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/stat...-seen-believed

That.is.amazing.

Theres 13 draftable QBs in this draft. Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson, Darnold, etc.

Mayfield is deadlast in time to throw (OL)

1st in all other categories.

I think he just became my #1 QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Posted this in another thread, but technically it belongs in here:

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/stat...-seen-believed

That.is.amazing.

Theres 13 draftable QBs in this draft. Mayfield, Rosen, Jackson, Darnold, etc.

Mayfield is deadlast in time to throw (OL)

1st in all other categories.

I think he just became my #1 QB.
    Agree. And this guy is growing on me, too. Great against the blitz, with less time to throw than Mayfield, less talent at WR, and about to break the modern-day record for deep yards (in-air, YAC doesn't count.)

GRIER.jpg

grierdeep.jpg
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 11-16-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Agree. And this guy is growing on me, too. Great against the blitz, with less time to throw than Mayfield, less talent at WR, and about to break the modern-day record for deep yards (in-air, YAC doesn't count.)

GRIER.jpg

grierdeep.jpg
    His numbers are very solid. His off field is slightly concerning. He got nabbed for PEDs, which is odd for a QB. But still, thats a problem.

I know Baker got busted for drunk-on-sidewalk, but booze isnt illegal. Nor was he driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    His numbers are very solid. His off field is slightly concerning. He got nabbed for PEDs, which is odd for a QB. But still, thats a problem.

I know Baker got busted for drunk-on-sidewalk, but booze isnt illegal. Nor was he driving.
    Overblown.

He was busted for Ligandrol. It was recommended to him at the GNC where he had been buying his protein powder for his workouts. He asked someone at Florida to get him the NCAA banned substance list so he could make sure it was OK. It was not on the list. It should have been, but wasn't. His mistake was not double-checking with the team trainers.