Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stop with the Arians out already!

This is an interesting debate. Is it that the players aren't smart enough from a football IQ standpoint to grasp Arian's genius system. I sometimes think that could be the case. I listen to Arian's interviews and this guy is super smart, every word has significance.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    They haven't had the best team in their division or conference and they can't advance.
    Arians had the best team in the division in 2015. Certainly not the conference, as the team no-show for the NFCC game in Carolina showed. But it's not an ironclad excuse, as Kenny demonstrated in 2008 with a team that won the lousiest division in the NFL but got a hot hand in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    Arians had the best team in the division in 2015. Certainly not the conference, as the team no-show for the NFCC game in Carolina showed. But it's not an ironclad excuse, as Kenny demonstrated in 2008 with a team that won the lousiest division in the NFL but got a hot hand in the playoffs.
    In 2015 there was an overwhelming dominate team in the conference. That team not only went 15 and 1, it had almost a 200 point differential in points scored to let up. In 2008 the Giants were the best team in the conference. Plaxico Buress ended up shooting himself in late november of that season and the Giants were never the same. They were beaten by the Eagles in the first round and the entire Conference was up for grabs. A hot Cardinal team beat three very good but not great teams to get to the SB. None of those teams were the 2015 Carolina Panthers who were far better than anyone else in the conference, where well rested and simply blitzed both Seattle and our team at home right out of the gate.

In 2015 there was an overwhelming dominate team in the conference. That team not only went 15 and 1, it had almost a 200 point differential in points scored to let up. In 2008 the Giants were the best team in the conference. Plaxico Buress ended up shooting himself in late november of that season and the Giants were never the same. They were beaten by the Eagles in the first round and the entire Conference was up for grabs. A hot Cardinal team beat three very good but not great teams to get to the SB. None of those teams were the 2015 Carolina Panthers who were far better than anyone else in the conference, where well rested and simply blitzed both Seattle and our team at home right out of the gate.
    Not sure where you are going with this.

The 10-6 (+22PD) 2007 NY Giants were not the best team in their division (Dallas was 13-3 with a +130 PD.) And Dallas wasn't even the best team in the conference (GB was 13-3 with a +144 PD.)

Of course, NY beat TB in the wildcard only to then win AT Dallas, AT GB, and then beat arguably the greatest team ever (the 16-0 +315 Patriots) in the Super Bowl.

One thing we have all learned in the NFL is that all that matters is getting in and getting hot.

The best team sometimes wins it all. Not always. In fact, maybe not even half the time.

Even your own examples show that. The '08 Giants and '15 Panthers both went home like Sean Penn, 2001, I am Sam.... empty handed.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Not sure where you are going with this.

The 10-6 (+22PD) 2007 NY Giants were not the best team in their division (Dallas was 13-3 with a +130 PD.) And Dallas wasn't even the best team in the conference (GB was 13-3 with a +144 PD.)

Of course, NY beat TB in the wildcard only to then win AT Dallas, AT GB, and then beat arguably the greatest team ever (the 16-0 +315 Patriots) in the Super Bowl.

One thing we have all learned in the NFL is that all that matters is getting in and getting hot.

The best team sometimes wins it all. Not always. In fact, maybe not even half the time.

Even your own examples show that. The '08 Giants and '15 Panthers both went home like Sean Penn, 2001, I am Sam.... empty handed.
    We were talking about 2008. The Giants were the best team in the NFC in 2008 and cratered after Buress shot himself. It was a huge distraction. In 2007 the Giants got healthy after a bad start and were playing very well down the stretch. They played NE in the last game of the season in a game that went down to the final possession. Interestingly in that game, which I watched, the refs allowed a lot of holding by the OL on both teams. The Giants got no pressure on Brady but they were able to hang with them offensively in game they lost 38 to 35. In the SB they completely changed the Line stunts and were able to attack Brady with a 4 man rush. I give Coughlin huge props. It's probably the only time that BB was out coached in a big game loss. The Giants had the personal in 2007 to compete with anyone. The team gelled down the stretch and granted Coughlin was a much better HC than Arians. Coughlin might well go into the HOF. The Giants had the best team in the league in 08 and the season unraveled with the Burress incident. They went 12 and 4 but lost 3 out of their last 4 including the playoff game to the Eagles at home after that incident.

I agree being hot is important but the 2007 and 2008 Giants had great personal on D, a HOF coach and very possible a HOF QB. Eli for all his mediocrity is completely unfazed by a big spot. He played out of his mind on the road in the 2007 playoffs. He also had terrific playmakers who were healthy. He outplayed Rodgers in Green Bay and Brady in the SB. I think if you look at the personal, the 2007 Giants were a better overall team than the 2015 Cardinals and would have fared better against either Carolina or Denver on both sides of the ball. Carolina was much better than our 2015 team and had the home field. It was a mismatch all around.
    Last edited by Biggs; 09-13-2017 at 01:52 PM.

We were talking about 2008. The Giants were the best team in the NFC in 2008 and cratered after Buress shot himself. It was a huge distraction. In 2007 the Giants got healthy after a bad start and were playing very well down the stretch. They played NE in the last game of the season in a game that went down to the final possession. Interestingly in that game, which I watched, the refs allowed a lot of holding by the OL on both teams. The Giants got no pressure on Brady but they were able to hang with them offensively in game they lost 38 to 35. In the SB they completely changed the Line stunts and were able to attack Brady with a 4 man rush. I give Coughlin huge props. It's probably the only time that BB was out coached in a big game loss. The Giants had the personal in 2007 to compete with anyone. The team gelled down the stretch and granted Coughlin was a much better HC than Arians. Coughlin might well go into the HOF. The Giants had the best team in the league in 08 and the season unraveled with the Burress incident. They went 12 and 4 but lost 3 out of their last 4 including the playoff game to the Eagles at home after that incident.

I agree being hot is important but the 2007 and 2008 Giants had great personal on D, a HOF coach and very possible a HOF QB. Eli for all his mediocrity is completely unfazed by a big spot. He played out of his mind on the road in the 2007 playoffs. He also had terrific playmakers who were healthy. He outplayed Rodgers in Green Bay and Brady in the SB. I think if you look at the personal, the 2007 Giants were a better overall team than the 2015 Cardinals and would have fared better against either Carolina or Denver on both sides of the ball. Carolina was much better than our 2015 team and had the home field. It was a mismatch all around.
    He outplayed Favre. That last INT was unforgettable as was the weather. I'll never forget Coughlin's Cardinal red face.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    He outplayed Favre. That last INT was unforgettable as was the weather. I'll never forget Coughlin's Cardinal red face.
    You're right it was 2011 he outplayed Rodgers. Love the Cardinal reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagio View Post
    Sure, after having lost Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, and Andre Ellington to injured reserve. Ryan Lindley and Kerwynn Williams were our starters for that game. We never stood a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    Please stop squeezing facts in. It makes the other post look dumber.
    I'm sure any and all excuses will be listed right after the asterisk on his record. I mean, that's how they do things there, right?

numnuts?
    "he's done more with this team than any coach in the past"
    That really isn't saying much. And it would appear that he has been figured out by most of the league, and apparently he isn't that hard to figure out because it happened so fast.
    Well, if your happy with how they played last year and are continuing with this year then great. Arians is the best coach to grace the league. We know the system works, except it should be we know the system USED to work. When was the last time Pittsburgh won a Super Bowl?
    Every system runs its course. It would appear this one has too. But by all means lets keep beating our heads against the wall and injuring players on a system that doesn't work, run by a coach that can't adapt.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

I think the biggest question is how you want to run a franchise?

Some here are suggesting that if a HC, who averaged 11 wins in his 1st three seasons with a 2nd tier franchise QB, goes sub .500 in one year he should be fired.

How many coaches have recently averaged 11 wins without a top tier franchise QB? The Harbaughs did it. Jim was run out of SF and they haven't recovered. John has been .500 or less in 3 of his last 4 years. Should Baltimore fire him? 15 teams would be climbing over each other trying to get to him first.

I guess you could go the way of San Diego and run Schottenheimer out of town. Of course that means you have to accept only 2 good seasons mixed in with 8 mediocre ones.

You could go the way of Cleveland and just keep hiring new coaches until something works... yeah, that works. SF should try that, or Jax.

What would I do? I love what Dallas did. Jason Garrett was floundering with all sorts of issues on his team. Most not his fault. But Jerry stuck with him. He gave him time to grow into the role of HC... and it worked. I love what Pittsburgh did. They identified a stand up guy with the smarts to lead. Tomlin will be the HC till he decides to retire. That's their 3rd HC since 1969.

When you find a guy that wins you hang on for dear life. BA wins. No, I don't like his O and I'm not a bravado guy, so BA was far from my first choice. But now he is. He's won me over.

And let me be clear with this last statement:
    NO ONE would be complaining about BA if we had a top tier Franchise QB. NO ONE.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly