Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: We will know by the bye week what needs to be done.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,727

    Default We will know by the bye week what needs to be done.

    I was pretty excited that we would get off to a great start this season. I was confident Palmer would be somewhere between his 2015 and 2016 self. I thought our Oline bookended with Humphries and Veldheer along with an emerging Boehm and healthy Iupati would be so solid compared to the piecemeal line we patched together through 2016. I though DJ would be even better in year 3. I worried a bit about the loss of CC on defense, but thought vet additions Dansby and Bethea, a healthy Badger, an emerging Nkemdiche, our sack leading OLBs and the addition of Baker and Reddick would be top 10. Our kicking woes seemed to be addressed.

    I'm fairly well known to be on of the board's optimists. But here we stand going into Week 2, with a left side of the Oline that looks incapable of protecting Carson. Maybe once Humphries is back and if Iupati heals up or is replaced by Boone. But even if it does, Palmer did not look good.

    And now D Johnson is out. I can't overstate how important DJ is to our offense. He's half the offense. I raised the question before the draft of going after one of the stud RBs in the first round and people thought I was nuts, but in one I asked what would our team's chances be if DJ went down with an injury, as RBs often do. Well now we will see.

    I thought we would begin the season with a win, and then beat the Colts, 49ers, Rams and Tampa. I thought we would lose or split with the other two pre-bye opponents, the Cowboys and Eagles. 6-1 or 5-2 was my hope going into the bye. The season gets tougher from there.

    Now I could see us anywhere from 1-6 to 3-4'at the bye. I think we beat the Colts and 49ers. Not sure against Rams or Bucs. I think we lose vs the Cowboys and Eagles.

    Over the next 6 weeks we should know if Palmer merely had a Bad Palmer game, which he has sometimes, or if he has hit the wall every old QB eventually hits. If that's the case, there is NO POINT riding him out for the rest of the season. If we sit at one or two wins, and the losses clearly have to do with Palmer's performance (even with a bad line or due to no DJ, because those issues would continue t/o the season), we have a long shot potential QBOF on the bench that it would be wise to take a good hard look at. Gabbert should be taking the next 2 months to learn the playbook, get as many practice reps as possible, and prepare for the possibility that he gets a 9 game job interview after the bye. Then we know what we have going in to 2018.

    If Palmer returns to something between 2015-16 form, the coaches successfully adjust to on offense w/o DJ, and the Oline and defense gel it's another story. Then we should be able to cobble together 3-4 wins between the Colts, Rams, 49ers, Bucs and maybe an "any given Sunday" win vs Dallas or Philly. Go into the bye near .500 and the NFC West doesn't look very good. We could make the playoffs. And if there is a shot at that, you don't screw around. Go for it.

    And you NEVER tank a season after Game 1.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    I was pretty excited that we would get off to a great start this season. I was confident Palmer would be somewhere between his 2015 and 2016 self. I thought our Oline bookended with Humphries and Veldheer along with an emerging Boehm and healthy Iupati would be so solid compared to the piecemeal line we patched together through 2016. I though DJ would be even better in year 3. I worried a bit about the loss of CC on defense, but thought vet additions Dansby and Bethea, a healthy Badger, an emerging Nkemdiche, our sack leading OLBs and the addition of Baker and Reddick would be top 10. Our kicking woes seemed to be addressed.

    I'm fairly well known to be on of the board's optimists. But here we stand going into Week 2, with a left side of the Oline that looks incapable of protecting Carson. Maybe once Humphries is back and if Iupati heals up or is replaced by Boone. But even if it does, Palmer did not look good.

    And now D Johnson is out. I can't overstate how important DJ is to our offense. He's half the offense. I raised the question before the draft of going after one of the stud RBs in the first round and people thought I was nuts, but in one I asked what would our team's chances be if DJ went down with an injury, as RBs often do. Well now we will see.

    I thought we would begin the season with a win, and then beat the Colts, 49ers, Rams and Tampa. I thought we would lose or split with the other two pre-bye opponents, the Cowboys and Eagles. 6-1 or 5-2 was my hope going into the bye. The season gets tougher from there.

    Now I could see us anywhere from 1-6 to 3-4'at the bye. I think we beat the Colts and 49ers. Not sure against Rams or Bucs. I think we lose vs the Cowboys and Eagles.

    Over the next 6 weeks we should know if Palmer merely had a Bad Palmer game, which he has sometimes, or if he has hit the wall every old QB eventually hits. If that's the case, there is NO POINT riding him out for the rest of the season. If we sit at one or two wins, and the losses clearly have to do with Palmer's performance (even with a bad line or due to no DJ, because those issues would continue t/o the season), we have a long shot potential QBOF on the bench that it would be wise to take a good hard look at. Gabbert should be taking the next 2 months to learn the playbook, get as many practice reps as possible, and prepare for the possibility that he gets a 9 game job interview after the bye. Then we know what we have going in to 2018.

    If Palmer returns to something between 2015-16 form, the coaches successfully adjust to on offense w/o DJ, and the Oline and defense gel it's another story. Then we should be able to cobble together 3-4 wins between the Colts, Rams, 49ers, Bucs and maybe an "any given Sunday" win vs Dallas or Philly. Go into the bye near .500 and the NFC West doesn't look very good. We could make the playoffs. And if there is a shot at that, you don't screw around. Go for it.

    And you NEVER tank a season after Game 1.
    Agree with almost everything, although I would amend the last line to "you NEVER tank a season unless a guy like Andrew Luck is coming out."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    It was stated elsewhere on the MB that CP3 knows he has 4 games. Not sure if that meant 4 or 4 more which would be after the 5th game. If his play mirrors week 1 in those games a change will be made.

    Question is at that point, does BA go to Stanton for a few games (I believe he will) and then to BG after playoffs are no longer remotely realistic or does he go straight to BG (my preference)?

    I do think CP3 bounces back and the above doesn't become the scenario, but Sunday was a bad look, no doubt.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    The bye? The seasons over at the bye.



    The seasons over if we lose next week. 0-2 teams have a 4% shot at the playoffs. Its over already.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    The bye? The seasons over at the bye.



    The seasons over if we lose next week. 0-2 teams have a 4% shot at the playoffs. Its over already.
    The Cards could start Ryan Lindley and still beat Indy. Without Luck, the Colts are hands down the worst team right now. Worse than the Jets
    You mean soccer? The sport for 4th graders that foreigners take seriously?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawks4ever View Post
    The Cards could start Ryan Lindley and still beat Indy. Without Luck, the Colts are hands down the worst team right now. Worse than the Jets



    Tavaris Jackson or Laundry Jones, pickup on line 1 please.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Agree with almost everything, although I would amend the last line to "you NEVER tank a season unless a guy like Andrew Luck is coming out."
    I'm not even sure that makes sense, Suck for Luck has produced one trip to the AFC Championship Game and a couple of playoff wins as I recall. Now after a few years of getting beat up he's on the shelf.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    I'm not even sure that makes sense, Suck for Luck has produced one trip to the AFC Championship Game and a couple of playoff wins as I recall. Now after a few years of getting beat up he's on the shelf.
    That's their fault for being that inept.

    You need a QB in this league to win or a lights out D like Denver had two seasons ago. A great QB is easier to keep and build around.

    I'm pretty sure Keim would do a good job building around and protecting an asset like Luck.

    I'm not big on college football. Is there a QB who is top notch?
    season ticket holder

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Agree with almost everything, although I would amend the last line to "you NEVER tank a season unless a guy like Andrew Luck is coming out."
    Where were you after the Lions destroyed the Cards.

    Still thinking the Lions are "lucky"?

    Was there any volatility or variance in the game you think decided it?
    season ticket holder

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Valley
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Goof post, OP.

    Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    It was stated elsewhere on the MB that CP3 knows he has 4 games. Not sure if that meant 4 or 4 more which would be after the 5th game. If his play mirrors week 1 in those games a change will be made.

    Question is at that point, does BA go to Stanton for a few games (I believe he will) and then to BG after playoffs are no longer remotely realistic or does he go straight to BG (my preference)?

    I do think CP3 bounces back and the above doesn't become the scenario, but Sunday was a bad look, no doubt.

    My personal understanding is that Stanton is more of Bruce Arians' in-jersey coach / game-manager than the actual second-string QB. I believe generally, the franchise, as well as, the fan base sees a potential franchise-quarterback in BG. Therefore, I would hope and wouldn't be surprise if they gave BG the reins, especially, since he is in a contract-year if Carson Palmer goes down.

    It's hard for me to imagine BA benching CP in his last year. But, it is a business and a good coach should not play favorites; so if Carson's poor play continues, I hope he would.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •