Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We will know by the bye week what needs to be done.

Hybrid View

Default We will know by the bye week what needs to be done.

I was pretty excited that we would get off to a great start this season. I was confident Palmer would be somewhere between his 2015 and 2016 self. I thought our Oline bookended with Humphries and Veldheer along with an emerging Boehm and healthy Iupati would be so solid compared to the piecemeal line we patched together through 2016. I though DJ would be even better in year 3. I worried a bit about the loss of CC on defense, but thought vet additions Dansby and Bethea, a healthy Badger, an emerging Nkemdiche, our sack leading OLBs and the addition of Baker and Reddick would be top 10. Our kicking woes seemed to be addressed.

I'm fairly well known to be on of the board's optimists. But here we stand going into Week 2, with a left side of the Oline that looks incapable of protecting Carson. Maybe once Humphries is back and if Iupati heals up or is replaced by Boone. But even if it does, Palmer did not look good.

And now D Johnson is out. I can't overstate how important DJ is to our offense. He's half the offense. I raised the question before the draft of going after one of the stud RBs in the first round and people thought I was nuts, but in one I asked what would our team's chances be if DJ went down with an injury, as RBs often do. Well now we will see.

I thought we would begin the season with a win, and then beat the Colts, 49ers, Rams and Tampa. I thought we would lose or split with the other two pre-bye opponents, the Cowboys and Eagles. 6-1 or 5-2 was my hope going into the bye. The season gets tougher from there.

Now I could see us anywhere from 1-6 to 3-4'at the bye. I think we beat the Colts and 49ers. Not sure against Rams or Bucs. I think we lose vs the Cowboys and Eagles.

Over the next 6 weeks we should know if Palmer merely had a Bad Palmer game, which he has sometimes, or if he has hit the wall every old QB eventually hits. If that's the case, there is NO POINT riding him out for the rest of the season. If we sit at one or two wins, and the losses clearly have to do with Palmer's performance (even with a bad line or due to no DJ, because those issues would continue t/o the season), we have a long shot potential QBOF on the bench that it would be wise to take a good hard look at. Gabbert should be taking the next 2 months to learn the playbook, get as many practice reps as possible, and prepare for the possibility that he gets a 9 game job interview after the bye. Then we know what we have going in to 2018.

If Palmer returns to something between 2015-16 form, the coaches successfully adjust to on offense w/o DJ, and the Oline and defense gel it's another story. Then we should be able to cobble together 3-4 wins between the Colts, Rams, 49ers, Bucs and maybe an "any given Sunday" win vs Dallas or Philly. Go into the bye near .500 and the NFC West doesn't look very good. We could make the playoffs. And if there is a shot at that, you don't screw around. Go for it.

And you NEVER tank a season after Game 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    I was pretty excited that we would get off to a great start this season. I was confident Palmer would be somewhere between his 2015 and 2016 self. I thought our Oline bookended with Humphries and Veldheer along with an emerging Boehm and healthy Iupati would be so solid compared to the piecemeal line we patched together through 2016. I though DJ would be even better in year 3. I worried a bit about the loss of CC on defense, but thought vet additions Dansby and Bethea, a healthy Badger, an emerging Nkemdiche, our sack leading OLBs and the addition of Baker and Reddick would be top 10. Our kicking woes seemed to be addressed.

I'm fairly well known to be on of the board's optimists. But here we stand going into Week 2, with a left side of the Oline that looks incapable of protecting Carson. Maybe once Humphries is back and if Iupati heals up or is replaced by Boone. But even if it does, Palmer did not look good.

And now D Johnson is out. I can't overstate how important DJ is to our offense. He's half the offense. I raised the question before the draft of going after one of the stud RBs in the first round and people thought I was nuts, but in one I asked what would our team's chances be if DJ went down with an injury, as RBs often do. Well now we will see.

I thought we would begin the season with a win, and then beat the Colts, 49ers, Rams and Tampa. I thought we would lose or split with the other two pre-bye opponents, the Cowboys and Eagles. 6-1 or 5-2 was my hope going into the bye. The season gets tougher from there.

Now I could see us anywhere from 1-6 to 3-4'at the bye. I think we beat the Colts and 49ers. Not sure against Rams or Bucs. I think we lose vs the Cowboys and Eagles.

Over the next 6 weeks we should know if Palmer merely had a Bad Palmer game, which he has sometimes, or if he has hit the wall every old QB eventually hits. If that's the case, there is NO POINT riding him out for the rest of the season. If we sit at one or two wins, and the losses clearly have to do with Palmer's performance (even with a bad line or due to no DJ, because those issues would continue t/o the season), we have a long shot potential QBOF on the bench that it would be wise to take a good hard look at. Gabbert should be taking the next 2 months to learn the playbook, get as many practice reps as possible, and prepare for the possibility that he gets a 9 game job interview after the bye. Then we know what we have going in to 2018.

If Palmer returns to something between 2015-16 form, the coaches successfully adjust to on offense w/o DJ, and the Oline and defense gel it's another story. Then we should be able to cobble together 3-4 wins between the Colts, Rams, 49ers, Bucs and maybe an "any given Sunday" win vs Dallas or Philly. Go into the bye near .500 and the NFC West doesn't look very good. We could make the playoffs. And if there is a shot at that, you don't screw around. Go for it.

And you NEVER tank a season after Game 1.
    Agree with almost everything, although I would amend the last line to "you NEVER tank a season unless a guy like Andrew Luck is coming out."

It was stated elsewhere on the MB that CP3 knows he has 4 games. Not sure if that meant 4 or 4 more which would be after the 5th game. If his play mirrors week 1 in those games a change will be made.

Question is at that point, does BA go to Stanton for a few games (I believe he will) and then to BG after playoffs are no longer remotely realistic or does he go straight to BG (my preference)?

I do think CP3 bounces back and the above doesn't become the scenario, but Sunday was a bad look, no doubt.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

The bye? The seasons over at the bye.

The seasons over if we lose next week. 0-2 teams have a 4% shot at the playoffs. Its over already.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    The bye? The seasons over at the bye.

The seasons over if we lose next week. 0-2 teams have a 4% shot at the playoffs. Its over already.
    The Cards could start Ryan Lindley and still beat Indy. Without Luck, the Colts are hands down the worst team right now. Worse than the Jets
    You mean soccer? The sport for 4th graders that foreigners take seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawks4ever View Post
    The Cards could start Ryan Lindley and still beat Indy. Without Luck, the Colts are hands down the worst team right now. Worse than the Jets

Tavaris Jackson or Laundry Jones, pickup on line 1 please.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawks4ever View Post
    Too soon
    "It's OUR Time"

Goof post, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    It was stated elsewhere on the MB that CP3 knows he has 4 games. Not sure if that meant 4 or 4 more which would be after the 5th game. If his play mirrors week 1 in those games a change will be made.

Question is at that point, does BA go to Stanton for a few games (I believe he will) and then to BG after playoffs are no longer remotely realistic or does he go straight to BG (my preference)?

I do think CP3 bounces back and the above doesn't become the scenario, but Sunday was a bad look, no doubt.

My personal understanding is that Stanton is more of Bruce Arians' in-jersey coach / game-manager than the actual second-string QB. I believe generally, the franchise, as well as, the fan base sees a potential franchise-quarterback in BG. Therefore, I would hope and wouldn't be surprise if they gave BG the reins, especially, since he is in a contract-year if Carson Palmer goes down.

It's hard for me to imagine BA benching CP in his last year. But, it is a business and a good coach should not play favorites; so if Carson's poor play continues, I hope he would.

Quote Originally Posted by anAlypticOutlaw View Post
    Goof post, OP.

My personal understanding is that Stanton is more of Bruce Arians' in-jersey coach / game-manager than the actual second-string QB. I believe generally, the franchise, as well as, the fan base sees a potential franchise-quarterback in BG. Therefore, I would hope and wouldn't be surprise if they gave BG the reins, especially, since he is in a contract-year if Carson Palmer goes down.

It's hard for me to imagine BA benching CP in his last year. But, it is a business and a good coach should not play favorites; so if Carson's poor play continues, I hope he would.
    If CP mans up about poor execution, he either fixes the problem or tells the HC, "Fire me." If the former conversation happens, it will be done in private and I think BA would accept the self-demotion and move on.

Sad to say were 1 week into the season and it looks bad for the cardinals. David Johnson is the main offense and with him out our offense won't be able to do much.Palmer has hit his wall. the best thing to do is tank the season and get one of the QB'S in next years draft.Every year everyone says wait until next year to draft a QB. Well we waited too long and now Palmer isn't playing like he use to. if the Cards don't tank the season they are just wasting a draft position to pick a good QB. If that happens the Cards only option would be to trade up to get their QB. As for the Cards record at bye week. I'm going to go 2-6. The Colts without Luck are horrible. Should be a win. The other winnable game is with the 49ers, who will probably be drafting a QB in next years draft.