Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: We will know by the bye week what needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Perhaps Brady has bought some equity with his great play most of his career including last year. i'm predicting a bounce back.

CP on the other hand was in decline mode last year and looked like a mummy playing sunday.
    of course Brady is better than Palmer, everybody knows it. but whats the point of comparing him and coach and the cards in general to the best team (maybe) ever.

all you get from that is disapointment, whichever of the 31 other teams you root for.

for the first time in what feels like eternity, we've had 3/4 winning seasons. that's fine with me. maybe we win the SB some time maybe not.

just relax, try to enjoy the season and if it doesn't work out, so be it, who cares it's only a football game. shouldn't have any implications on real life happiness.......
    Last edited by Switzerland; 09-13-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    of course Brady is better than Palmer, everybody knows it. but whats the point of comparing him and coach and the cards in general to the best team (maybe) ever.

all you get from that is disapointment, whichever of the 31 other teams you root for.

for the first time in what feels like eternity, we've had 3/4 winning seasons. that's fine with me. maybe we win the SB some time maybe not.

just relax, try to enjoy the season and if it doesn't work out, so be it, who cares it's only a football game. shouldn't have any implications on real life happiness.......
    Okay Plato.

But I was merely responding to your post about Brady having a bad first game.
    season ticket holder

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    I was pretty excited that we would get off to a great start this season. I was confident Palmer would be somewhere between his 2015 and 2016 self. I thought our Oline bookended with Humphries and Veldheer along with an emerging Boehm and healthy Iupati would be so solid compared to the piecemeal line we patched together through 2016. I though DJ would be even better in year 3. I worried a bit about the loss of CC on defense, but thought vet additions Dansby and Bethea, a healthy Badger, an emerging Nkemdiche, our sack leading OLBs and the addition of Baker and Reddick would be top 10. Our kicking woes seemed to be addressed.

I'm fairly well known to be on of the board's optimists. But here we stand going into Week 2, with a left side of the Oline that looks incapable of protecting Carson. Maybe once Humphries is back and if Iupati heals up or is replaced by Boone. But even if it does, Palmer did not look good.

And now D Johnson is out. I can't overstate how important DJ is to our offense. He's half the offense. I raised the question before the draft of going after one of the stud RBs in the first round and people thought I was nuts, but in one I asked what would our team's chances be if DJ went down with an injury, as RBs often do. Well now we will see.

I thought we would begin the season with a win, and then beat the Colts, 49ers, Rams and Tampa. I thought we would lose or split with the other two pre-bye opponents, the Cowboys and Eagles. 6-1 or 5-2 was my hope going into the bye. The season gets tougher from there.

Now I could see us anywhere from 1-6 to 3-4'at the bye. I think we beat the Colts and 49ers. Not sure against Rams or Bucs. I think we lose vs the Cowboys and Eagles.

Over the next 6 weeks we should know if Palmer merely had a Bad Palmer game, which he has sometimes, or if he has hit the wall every old QB eventually hits. If that's the case, there is NO POINT riding him out for the rest of the season. If we sit at one or two wins, and the losses clearly have to do with Palmer's performance (even with a bad line or due to no DJ, because those issues would continue t/o the season), we have a long shot potential QBOF on the bench that it would be wise to take a good hard look at. Gabbert should be taking the next 2 months to learn the playbook, get as many practice reps as possible, and prepare for the possibility that he gets a 9 game job interview after the bye. Then we know what we have going in to 2018.

If Palmer returns to something between 2015-16 form, the coaches successfully adjust to on offense w/o DJ, and the Oline and defense gel it's another story. Then we should be able to cobble together 3-4 wins between the Colts, Rams, 49ers, Bucs and maybe an "any given Sunday" win vs Dallas or Philly. Go into the bye near .500 and the NFC West doesn't look very good. We could make the playoffs. And if there is a shot at that, you don't screw around. Go for it.

And you NEVER tank a season after Game 1.
    As usual, great post DH.

I would disagree in this way: our D was really good in that game. They stopped the run and performed admirably against the pass given they were on the field so long. Even with the loss of DJ all is not lost. It's basic football 101 (ala Denver 2 years ago).

A. Run the ball. CJ Anderson is hardly good and won a ring. Kerwynn, Chris, and Whocares can be just as successful as the Denver backs were.
    B. Treat CP like Manning. He just has to manage a game. Don't TO the ball.
    C. Denver's Oline was just ok... and they still won a ring. Our line is FAAAR better than that line.
    D. Give our great D time to rest. We have a lot of talent out there and they will shine. Just run the O to rest the D.
    E. Win a SuperBowl with a great D and a well managed O.

OR...

Let BA run his pass crazy offense and watch a QB either shine or TO the ball 3 times a game. I'm thinking right now we'd get 50/50 odds that CP will shine. Which puts us at 8-8.

Yeah, I know, the latter is going to happen. It's in BA's DNA. And to be fair, it's worked so far. Here's to hoping that Hump recovers and CP has a snowball's chance in Phoenix of surviving.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    As usual, great post DH.

I would disagree in this way: our D was really good in that game. They stopped the run and performed admirably against the pass given they were on the field so long. Even with the loss of DJ all is not lost. It's basic football 101 (ala Denver 2 years ago).

A. Run the ball. CJ Anderson is hardly good and won a ring. Kerwynn, Chris, and Whocares can be just as successful as the Denver backs were.
    B. Treat CP like Manning. He just has to manage a game. Don't TO the ball.
    C. Denver's Oline was just ok... and they still won a ring. Our line is FAAAR better than that line.
    D. Give our great D time to rest. We have a lot of talent out there and they will shine. Just run the O to rest the D.
    E. Win a SuperBowl with a great D and a well managed O.

OR...

Let BA run his pass crazy offense and watch a QB either shine or TO the ball 3 times a game. I'm thinking right now we'd get 50/50 odds that CP will shine. Which puts us at 8-8.

Yeah, I know, the latter is going to happen. It's in BA's DNA. And to be fair, it's worked so far. Here's to hoping that Hump recovers and CP has a snowball's chance in Phoenix of surviving.
    Big problem with this is that the 2015 Denver defense was MUCH MUCH better than the 2017 Cardinals defense. Mostly because they had no weak spot to pick on. Their CB's were both lights out (Harris Jr and Talib.) Even their 3rd CB (Roby) was really, really good that year.

Teams are going to pick on Bethel. Arizona isn't going to win many games 14-9. They were ahead 17-9 last week because Bethel had been playing lights out, and because Detroit spent the first half looking like ASU.

The one way Arizona can try to lean on their defense is if 1) Mathieu returns to Mathieu form (he did not look close in Week 1) and plays 99% of the snaps as Man-Free slot CB, with Baker as FS and 2) Bettcher adjusts his scheme to basically use a nickel back as a crutch for Bethel to give him help on every snap. It's POSSIBLE to do this now that Arizona has two legit edge rushers and (in theory) doesn't have to blitz every down to get pressure.

The last year, with Todd Bowles as DC, was the most exciting Cardinals D I ever watched. He never let up on the blitz and you never knew who it was going to be or where it was coming from. He was so good at disguising who the blitzer would be it confused and frustrated the opposition o-line and rattled the QB. Bowles was excellent at half time adjustments. Bettcher gets conservative in the second half, especially if the Cardinals have the lead. It's reminiscent of the Falcons DC in the Super Bowl.

Playing man gives your DB's a different mindset. They know they have no help over the top. They will stick like glue to that receiver. Because his time is limited the QB has no time for progressions and his only choices are 1) safety valve 2) throw the ball away 3) run or take a sack.

I guess you can tell, I am not a fan of zone defense.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    He will respond with a bunch of if's.
    Right now no one knows if the Lions are as good as they looked in the 2nd half or are we really that bad. I guess we will see when they finally play a decent team.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    Right now no one knows if the Lions are as good as they looked in the 2nd half or are we really that bad. I guess we will see when they finally play a decent team.
    Scoreboard.

The Lions made the playoffs last year. They are 1-0.

There was fans who actually said we should have an easy time beating the Lions. Based on what?

And some even said the Lions were "lucky". Whatever that means.

I said they would beat the Cards in the opener. Just based on facts.
    Last edited by AriS.; 09-14-2017 at 05:27 AM.
    season ticket holder

We sure know that Stafford is a lot better under pressure than Palmer at this point in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Scoreboard.

The Lions made the playoffs last year. They are 1-0.

There was fans who actually said we should have an easy time beating the Lions. Based on what?

And some even said the Lions were "lucky". Whatever that means.

I said they would beat the Cards in the opener. Just based on facts.
    Time will tell I to don't think the lions were very good last year and i still think they are an average team. time will tell us for sure if the lions are a good team or not or how bad we are. One thing is certain though the cardinals offense was really bad. an average offense could have put the lions away in the first half.

Time will tell I to don't think the lions were very good last year and i still think they are an average team. time will tell us for sure if the lions are a good team or not or how bad we are. One thing is certain though the cardinals offense was really bad. an average offense could have put the lions away in the first half.
    7 8 and 1 screams very good? They didn't have to be very good. They got substantially better play from their QB then we did.