Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: John Brown

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    522

    Default John Brown

    Not many people are talking about John Brown anymore likely because there isn't much to talk about. Not practicing again today. Isn't it about time the FO comes to the realization he will never become the reliable receiver they hoped . Certainly to the extent his underlying sickle cell trait precludes him from being "the guy" no one can blame him for that. However by the same token we cannot continue to rely upon him the way the Cards have relied on LF over the past decade. After this season we should let him go and begin refurbishing our WR core. This won't be an easy task since we also need a QB and a new Oline. Hopefully within the next 3 years we can rebuild our offense so we don't waste David Johnson's talents during his prime years.
    Wait til next year

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forever red View Post
    Not many people are talking about John Brown anymore likely because there isn't much to talk about. Not practicing again today. Isn't it about time the FO comes to the realization he will never become the reliable receiver they hoped . Certainly to the extent his underlying sickle cell trait precludes him from being "the guy" no one can blame him for that. However by the same token we cannot continue to rely upon him the way the Cards have relied on LF over the past decade. After this season we should let him go and begin refurbishing our WR core. This won't be an easy task since we also need a QB and a new Oline. Hopefully within the next 3 years we can rebuild our offense so we don't waste David Johnson's talents during his prime years.
    Maybe that's why he's not practicing today. Maybe they aren't gonna wait that long.

    While I'm at it, that is a very salient point IMO. Witness the wasting away of Andrew Luck due to poor management. I'd be pissed to watch DJ's talents go down the tube the same way.
    Last edited by CardCore; 09-13-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    The question of Daryl Washington.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    I'm being a little bit glass half empty, so excuse that. But, it appears this team has suffered 3 significant losses from the 2015 season and at this point doesn't have a response.

    Michael Floyd was a 900 yard receiver that year. For all the MB proclamations that he could easily be replaced, that just isn't the case. It's his fault, but his loss is significant still.

    Smoke isn't smoke...that was clear on the Fitz crossing pattern catch and run where he ran past Smoke. Doesn't appear at this time that Smoke is ever going to regain his 2015 form. Which leads me to question why did this trait just show up last year? I'm not saying that isn't medically possible, I'm saying are we laying blame on some medical condition when blame should lie somewhere else? That question has to be asked. It also leads to the question, where the farg is Chad Williams?

    And finally, HB isn't HB. He was pretty useless in coverage Sunday.

    The NFL is a violent, physically brutal game. Smaller guys are a risk. If these two guys continue to be pedestrian the entire season, tough tough decisions (especially with HB) will have to be made.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    444

    Default

    thpught he played quite good on Sunday. Caught the balls when targeted unlike JJ including a terrific toe tapping catch on the sideline for a first down.

    about the one catch and run from fitz, you really wanna say everyone who couldn't keep up (for whatever reason) is slow and injured? sure, then only 8 other players are good enough becaus e Fitz registered the 9th highest speed for a player with possession of the ball in week 1 across the entire nfl on that play

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Macomb, Il. 61455
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    thpught he played quite good on Sunday. Caught the balls when targeted unlike JJ including a terrific toe tapping catch on the sideline for a first down.

    about the one catch and run from fitz, you really wanna say everyone who couldn't keep up (for whatever reason) is slow and injured? sure, then only 8 other players are good enough becaus e Fitz registered the 9th highest speed for a player with possession of the ball in week 1 across the entire nfl on that play
    Thank you!

    JosEPh

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    thpught he played quite good on Sunday. Caught the balls when targeted unlike JJ including a terrific toe tapping catch on the sideline for a first down.

    about the one catch and run from fitz, you really wanna say everyone who couldn't keep up (for whatever reason) is slow and injured? sure, then only 8 other players are good enough becaus e Fitz registered the 9th highest speed for a player with possession of the ball in week 1 across the entire nfl on that play
    I'm saying Brown is running like someone running at 85%. And in the NFL for his skill set, that's not what the Cardinals need.

    Even on his jet sweep which went for 10 yards, he's not running fluidly or very fast.

    I'm a trend guy....trends become reality when they run long enough. One week isn't a trend...a lost preseason (2016), season, preseason (2017) and now 1 game of another season is a trend. He's not Smoke any longer until he proves he is. So far he hasn't done that. 2 catches in the ATL game aren't a trend unless they continue.

    Brown is not here to catch 9 yard outs.


    Same thing with HB. He made one play against Chicago and everyone in the world pronounce him as fully back. He's not fully back until he dominates games and weeks, not one play. That's reality.

    It's similar to how many on this board viewed Scooby Wright. The guy has a cult following but anyone watching him play with honest evaluation could tell he was/is too slow to play in the NFL. Making one play here and there doesn't erase an overall body of work that says he's not physically talented enough to make plays consistently.

    Ditto, Bethel, who played well for 3 Qtrs, but has to do more than that to prove he truly belongs as a #2 because his body of work has not be very good, frankly.

    The trend of this entire team, but especially Brown, HB, CP3, Iupati, & Veldheer is not good. Not good at all.

    Does that mean none of them can turn it around and the season is lost...no...but having a good season will require they reverse what is clearly going on.
    Last edited by OJ Anderson; 09-13-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forever red View Post
    Not many people are talking about John Brown anymore likely because there isn't much to talk about. Not practicing again today. Isn't it about time the FO comes to the realization he will never become the reliable receiver they hoped . Certainly to the extent his underlying sickle cell trait precludes him from being "the guy" no one can blame him for that. However by the same token we cannot continue to rely upon him the way the Cards have relied on LF over the past decade. After this season we should let him go and begin refurbishing our WR core. This won't be an easy task since we also need a QB and a new Oline. Hopefully within the next 3 years we can rebuild our offense so we don't waste David Johnson's talents during his prime years.
    They need to hit that waiver wire and pick up a wr. He is not ever going to be the same player. They need a big receiver. Either Chad Williams has to get much better quickly, or they need to find a diamond in the rough somewhere.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    It made me laugh when the Cards said they found the solution to his Sickle cell over the summer.

    Clearly they did not.

    this guy's career is in jeopardy. You will never see the same John Brown you had.
    season ticket holder

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville Illinois
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    It made me laugh when the Cards said they found the solution to his Sickle cell over the summer.

    Clearly they did not.

    this guy's career is in jeopardy. You will never see the same John Brown you had.
    Boy I hope you are wrong, but I fear you might be right.

    I got to say too, Jaron B didn't give me a lot of confidence either. Its still early, maybe these things will work out.....

    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    Boy I hope you are wrong, but I fear you might be right.

    I got to say too, Jaron B didn't give me a lot of confidence either. Its still early, maybe these things will work out.....

    I've pointed out many times on this board Jaron Brown will never break out and be the star many think he will be. Coming into this year he had 50 receptions in 50 games. he's a decent 4th WR and nothing more. Looks better in training camp then will ever translate in games.
    season ticket holder

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •