Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cardinals will start Kerwynn Williams at running back

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,623

    Default Cardinals will start Kerwynn Williams at running back

    Kerwynn Williams will start at running back for the Cardinals against the Colts, coach Bruce Arians confirmed Wednesday. That doesn’t mean he will take over David Johnson’s role,, though.

    Johnson gained 36 percent of Cardinals yards last season and scored 39 percent of their touchdowns, per Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

    Instead, the Cardinals also will use Andre Ellington, followed by Chris Johnson. Arians called it “both a featured back and . . . running back by committee.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-running-back/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    5,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sillysoft View Post
    Kerwynn Williams will start at running back for the Cardinals against the Colts, coach Bruce Arians confirmed Wednesday. That doesn’t mean he will take over David Johnson’s role,, though.

    Johnson gained 36 percent of Cardinals yards last season and scored 39 percent of their touchdowns, per Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

    Instead, the Cardinals also will use Andre Ellington, followed by Chris Johnson. Arians called it “both a featured back and . . . running back by committee.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-running-back/
    I saw the HC comments today. RB by committee, huh? BA doesn't have another option. Maybe the RB committee approach (Williams, Ellington, C Johnson, Foster) will provide some offensive unpredictability and uncertainty leading to defensive confusion and massive scoring for a change. CP also must be fast and accurate.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville Illinois
    Posts
    545

    Default

    If it were up to me, I would make Chris J the starting back. He was well on the way to a 1000 yard year when he was injured in 2015. After that.....well...DJ took over.

    Yes he is 2 years older, but his body/legs should be relatively fresh with limited playing time. I don't know how much gas in tank Chris has left, but let's find out.

    As far as the upcoming Colt game. Whoever the RB is, they may have a tough time. Since the Rams beat the Colts 46 to 9, I figured Todd Gurley must of had a great day......Well not so much.....19 ATT 40 YDS for a 2.1 AVG.

    I guess we'll see how well RB by committee works out.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    If it were up to me, I would make Chris J the starting back. He was well on the way to a 1000 yard year when he was injured in 2015. After that.....well...DJ took over.

    Yes he is 2 years older, but his body/legs should be relatively fresh with limited playing time. I don't know how much gas in tank Chris has left, but let's find out.

    As far as the upcoming Colt game. Whoever the RB is, they may have a tough time. Since the Rams beat the Colts 46 to 9, I figured Todd Gurley must of had a great day......Well not so much.....19 ATT 40 YDS for a 2.1 AVG.

    I guess we'll see how well RB by committee works out.
    Fresh legs, rested bodies, it's all mumbo jumbo you know what I mean? Flippity flop and balderdash!

    I feel in my heart that it was David Johnsons rested body and fresh legs that led to his injury and him just not looking like the DJ we know. He didn't show much in preseason and game one was blah. Not his fault.

    You gotta play to get better, hope BA doesn't bubble wrap this dude next season. Unleash the beast!!!!!
    Last edited by BigAngelG; 09-13-2017 at 08:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville Illinois
    Posts
    545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAngelG View Post
    Fresh legs, rested bodies, it's all mumbo jumbo you know what I mean? Flippity flop and balderdash!

    I feel in my heart that it was David Johnsons rested body and fresh legs that led to his injury and him just not looking like the DJ we know. He didn't show much in preseason and game one was blah. Not his fault.

    You gotta play to get better, hope BA doesn't bubble wrap this dude next season. Unleash the beast!!!!!
    You know at first glance, I thought your post was.....well....balderdash.

    But in all honesty, maybe not so much. Back in the day, we had 6 preseason games. Yet many if not most made it through the season. I don't know what philosophy is best, saving players for the season or playing them hard in preseason. Just saying its something to think about.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    You know at first glance, I thought your post was.....well....balderdash.

    But in all honesty, maybe not so much. Back in the day, we had 6 preseason games. Yet many if not most made it through the season. I don't know what philosophy is best, saving players for the season or playing them hard in preseason. Just saying its something to think about.
    I'm just salty man.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAngelG View Post
    Fresh legs, rested bodies, it's all mumbo jumbo you know what I mean? Flippity flop and balderdash!

    I feel in my heart that it was David Johnsons rested body and fresh legs that led to his injury and him just not looking like the DJ we know. He didn't show much in preseason and game one was blah. Not his fault.

    You gotta play to get better, hope BA doesn't bubble wrap this dude next season. Unleash the beast!!!!!
    It's such a conundrum. No good answers. Play a lot in the exhibition season, get hurt, here comes the outrage. Don't play much, maybe play slow when the real games start, get injured. I'm a believer that if someone plays it safe they're more likely to get injured. I don't think that's what happened here, though. Stuff happens, bones break.

    In any event, the silver lining is that Arians and his staff will be tested big time so we can see what they've got. Hopefully Elliott doesn't get re-suspended by 9/25 and the Cowboys are at full strength.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    CHANDLER
    Posts
    7,633

    Default

    Everyone I feel is over looking Williams.Is he David Johnson no..but he has a career 5.4 YPC and has always made the most of his playing time.

    Sad for DJ but excited for Williams and hope he runs thru Indy.
    The more you care..the more it hurts.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZOna_Style View Post
    Everyone I feel is over looking Williams.Is he David Johnson no..but he has a career 5.4 YPC and has always made the most of his playing time.

    Sad for DJ but excited for Williams and hope he runs thru Indy.
    I agree, great opportunity for Williams to potentially parlay his performance into bigger things. All I've ever seen out of the guy is production.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    455

    Default Kerwynn, You're Up

    If memory serves me OK Kerwynn Williams was a 7th round draft choice of the Colts. With him winning his first camp roster spot maybe BA is rewarding him for that achievement along with tapping into Kerwynn's emotions at facing his original team?

    Under the circumstances it's as good a reasoning as any for him to get first crack at the starting RB spot. With the offense having to re-tool its identity it makes sense to minimize the overhaul and that means going with the backup. Bruce Arians can let the game dictate how he substitutes and utilizes the other backs. The team as a whole must put the Lion game in its rear-view mirror and the Colts are ready-made for that to get our first victory.

    Preperation for the MNF home opener against Dallas requires a smooth and confident effort, so BA needs to settle the team down and regain its focus. I expect Denver to beat the Pokes and Elliott to play the MNF game. If those two things happen we need to be on our game. The team must come together.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •