Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: *** Arizona Cardinals Next Head Coach Candidates thread ***

Quote Originally Posted by anAlypticOutlaw View Post

That being said, I would initially go after: Todd Haley. It may be futile . . . but then again, maybe he'll take the bait. His offensive capability & comprehension is conclusive.
    guys a ********. Hes hated everywhere he goes. So is Bill Bellichik but at least players respect him. Hes also shown to have a soft side behind the scenes. As far as I know, Todd is a 24/7 jerk. Naw.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    guys a ********. Hes hated everywhere he goes. So is Bill Bellichik but at least players respect him. Hes also shown to have a soft side behind the scenes. As far as I know, Todd is a 24/7 jerk. Naw.
    There's some Fisher in Haley. Pass on both.

I never considered a new coaching regime, until Arians started speaking of retirement. Once that happened, the franchise was forced to start looking down the road. Now knowing Arians' confliction, why would Arizona await the inevitable? Arians understands this reasoning. . . .

That being said, I would initially go after: Todd Haley. It may be futile . . . but then again, maybe he'll take the bait. His offensive capability & comprehension is conclusive.
    I to like Haley so I would put him on the list. If we go for a college coach I like Harbaugh or Shaw but if we go for an EXP nfl head coach that has been on the hot seat I really like John Fox.

I never considered a new coaching regime, until Arians started speaking of retirement. Once that happened, the franchise was forced to start looking down the road. Now knowing Arians' confliction, why would Arizona await the inevitable? Arians understands this reasoning. . . .

If you're a bona fide playoff team you await the inevitable. If you're following up 7-8-1 with arguably the worst kicking game in the NFL with a similar record and still having a lousy kicking game you don't. Arians is paid a lot of money to win, if he doesn't win he goes. Nothing personal, just business. Arians is making the decision easy with his stupid defense of Jones and the atrocious kicking game.

I would really consider Eric Mangini. The Jets made a huge mistake firing him. He was incredibly young and the Jets GM was a lawyer/Contracts guy. I think he could be a great HC. He learned a lot and BB loved him until he took the Jets job. He's not all that likable but he is a detail oriented guy who understand NFL defense and how to build a team. Like BB I think he's a guy the second time around who will get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterike View Post
    Wolf has said that Bowles is not that way (timid/quiet) behind closed doors. Wolf has also said the Belichick is not what he presents himself to the media, by his accounts (and many others) Belichick has a wicked sense of humor.
    Personality is highly overrated.

I see BB as a guy who is the ultimate at preparation. Go back one year opening night here. With the new kickoff rules BB pooch kicked it to us and caught us off guard. (what a shock!!).

He's also an accountability guy, all business. Lets just say he had a very poor special teams for a couple of years along with a lousy punter for lets say 5-6 games. Both would be shown the door.

Why is that so hard?
    season ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post

I see BB as a guy who is the ultimate at preparation. Go back one year opening night here. With the new kickoff rules BB pooch kicked it to us and caught us off guard. (what a shock!!).

He's also an accountability guy, all business. Lets just say he had a very poor special teams for a couple of years along with a lousy punter for lets say 5-6 games. Both would be shown the door.

Why is that so hard?
    BB plays starters on special teams. Parcels was an absolute madman about special teams. Defensive coaches usually believe TOP and field position are the keys to winning a game. Offensive coaches think they can overcome field position with chunk plays. If you believe in TOP and field position your special teams have to be solid. It's not an option to give up yardage and field position that your D and running game has earned.

The big problem with our special teams is we don't have chunk plays because our OL is terrible and our WR corp is pedestrian. We simply can't overcome a big punt return with a big pass play anymore.

That's not even looking at the fg unit. That's a given for any coach.

BB wouldn't have a bad coverage team for 2 games without fixing it.

He's also an accountability guy, all businest say he had a very poor special teams for a couple of years along with a lousy punter for lets say 5-6 games. Both would be shown the door.

Why is that so hard?
    I disagree. Personality is very important. In regards to the HC who doesnt actually do anything on game day (assuming he has an OC and DC) I think personality is the most important aspect of a HC. Otherwise what is his use? Just stand there, bump on a log, pouting.

Bill B not having a personality is a misconception. He absolutely does behind the scenes. Same with Nick Saban. Same with Gregg Popovich. Publically they seem cold and impatient, but behind-the-scenes footage shows all these guys have very engaging personalities and relationships with their players.

Why is that so hard?
    Rex Ryan and Rex Arians are Exhibit A for the prosecution on that one.

As for Belichick, you present a pure logical fallacy. A kicking game dumpster fire for two years? Get real. Maybe two games. Multi-year kicking game dumpster fires are for the guys who whisper and write books about their own awesomeness after they post a losing season.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    Rex Ryan and Rex Arians are Exhibit A for the prosecution on that one.
    Jim Harbaugh and Peter Carroll are the defense.

This is not an "all or nothing" (no pun intended) criterion on HC's. Youll find all kinds of guys at the helm. However..the majority of great HC's in NFL history have very identifiable personalities.

* did you intentionally say Rex Arians or was that a typo? I just noticed that.
    Last edited by Zaz; 10-13-2017 at 10:31 AM.