Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Arizona Cardinals Next Head Coach Candidates thread ***

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    My top choices as of today.

1. David Shaw--Stanford. Upside is he's a no-nonsense, tough type, who isn't into the spotlight and has gotten great productivity from all around RBs. I think our defensive edge would go up immediately. He was also good with a pretty talented QB's development. Downside is college coaches often struggle with the transition.

2. I have no other choices at this point. I'm not big on the guy from NE...but that's in large part to their defensive struggles this season. As for JBC from Detroit, I think the Cardinals lack an overall grit and toughness that requires a different personality than he's going to bring.
    IMO Shaw is too similar to Bowles. A little too emotionless. Steady hand on the rutter when things are going well, but in hard times I dont think he has the fire to motivate a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    IMO Shaw is too similar to Bowles. A little too emotionless. Steady hand on the rutter when things are going well, but in hard times I dont think he has the fire to motivate a team.
    Doesn't Andy Reid have pretty much the same persona? I don't see him get very emotional. I bring him up because he's the skipper of the only undefeated team. Bowles has the Jets at 3-2 when they were widely predicted to win 2-4, they seem to be a surprise. Point being Bowles seems to have done enough good things to have a lousy team playing above its head.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    Doesn't Andy Reid have pretty much the same persona? I don't see him get very emotional. I bring him up because he's the skipper of the only undefeated team. Bowles has the Jets at 3-2 when they were widely predicted to win 2-4, they seem to be a surprise. Point being Bowles seems to have done enough good things to have a lousy team playing above its head.
    Are the Jets playing above their head? Looking at their schedule I could easily see them as a 4 win team this year.

Reid has always had good teams and good records. He's a solid coach. If anything he's critics think he has underperformed his talent. I look at Green Bay there coach has an incredible record. He also had Brett Favre followed by Rodgers. I think Rodgers could take a lot of NFL teams to the playoffs.
    Last edited by Biggs; 10-09-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Oh heck no. Andy Reid is one of the most colorful coaches in the NFL. In fact hes very BA-esque. Just youtube "Andy Reid locker room" and theres a bunch of vids of him dancing and celebrating after wins. 100% players coach, guys love him.

On the Harbaugh thing, I'm thinking about what made him go from Super Bowl to out in SF and I think it was largely conflict with the owner, the kid who inherited the franchise. I think Harbaugh and Mike Bidwill would be OK there, they might have some knock down drag outs but I would think it would be from a position of mutual respect and would be part of that relationship. Suffice to say if Mike Bidwill was OK with an Arians interview that included a barrage of F bombs he's no shrinking violet and that's good. So then what about Harbaugh the coach? Does his intensity turn off the players, especially the softies who crave the "players coach" and will happily give interviews about how much they loved Coach X after their play on Sundays got him fired? Or does Harbaugh match his intensity with consistency, i.e. do the players buy in because they are all treated equally and they know that Harbaugh won't take to the podium and throw them under the bus to save himself some criticism?

Not the same sport, but I was very impressed with how Lovullo managed the Diamondbacks this year. Seems like he is as consistent as the day is long, and the players went all in. There were never any surprises, or if there were they trusted Lovullo enough to buy in immediately.
    A lot of fans don't like the current owner up there in SF and there was a mass exodus after the Harbaugh thing,was it because them losing Harbaugh or the new owner ? Maybe it was both but I think most everyone liked Harbaugh.

If these players need motivation fire them all that do we don't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    Wolf has said that Bowles is not that way (timid/quiet) behind closed doors. Wolf has also said the Belichick is not what he presents himself to the media, by his accounts (and many others) Belichick has a wicked sense of humor.
    Last edited by monsterike; 10-10-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    In principle I agree, but in reality thats not real life. Head coaches are the collective personality of the team. They set the tone. They have to get all guys to buy into 1 vision. Thats very difficult to do. Thats why there are so few great head coaches.

In principle I agree, but in reality thats not real life. Head coaches are the collective personality of the team. They set the tone. They have to get all guys to buy into 1 vision. Thats very difficult to do. Thats why there are so few great head coaches.
    I agree, aso needed to be said is that a lot of the teams around the NFL are relatively young so many players do not know how to be pros yet. In college everything runs through the HC, not so in the NFL and there is a learning curve. So a strong HC is still needed at the pro level
    Last edited by monsterike; 10-10-2017 at 09:58 AM.

I never considered a new coaching regime, until Arians started speaking of retirement. Once that happened, the franchise was forced to start looking down the road. Now knowing Arians' confliction, why would Arizona await the inevitable? Arians understands this reasoning. . . .

That being said, I would initially go after: Todd Haley. It may be futile . . . but then again, maybe he'll take the bait. His offensive capability & comprehension is conclusive.