Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Arizona Cardinals Next Head Coach Candidates thread ***

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    There is a name I often wonder why doesn't get linked with more HC jobs each January onwards.

Matt Patricia, the Pats DC

I think someone will give him a go. From the outside it seems BB gives him total control of the D. And as WV says, the D will be the block that the next coach uses to build from.
    I'm not against Bowles, but wouldn't rule out Patricia at the same time.
    There is a bit of a knock against ex BB coordinators, so maybe he isn't in the frame?

And as we are mentioning ex Cards Coordinators. And to prove it is a business, and people get past previous feelings. How about Todd Haley?
    If Bettcher is retained as DC, would bringing in an offensive minded coach to rebuild the offence be a good idea? Bridges may have been burned, but if not would Haley relish the challenge?
    Matt Patricia is a great choice but I think he has an understanding with the Pats, if he holds on he will get the HC job when Belichick retires

Quote Originally Posted by native az View Post
    Harbaugh and Gruden aren't going anywhere.

I would love David Shaw but I don't think he will come to an NFL team without a QB. Plus I think Indy will be going after him when the season is over.
    Harbaugh would leave . I think he ends up with the Colts

Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    Harbaugh would leave . I think he ends up with the Colts
    No just no. Harbaugh is not leaving this year. He has a very sweet arrangement at Michigan. After he goes to a title game or two probably but not this year.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

No just no. Harbaugh is not leaving this year. He has a very sweet arrangement at Michigan. After he goes to a title game or two probably but not this year.

No matter how comfortable the arrangement theres no more time intensive job than College Head Coach. You have to coach during the season...and then recruit all off season. There is no down time. Its a brutal life.

College gigs are typically more secure in terms of giving you time to lose and rebuild, some even pay more than NFL, but overall the NFL is better for family life. BA doesnt have to go knock on FA's doors like College coaches do. Nick Saban to this day still sits in recruits living rooms talking to parents.

It comes down to preference, but dont ever think College Coaching jobs are cushy. They are the most demanding jobs on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    No matter how comfortable the arrangement theres no more time intensive job than College Head Coach. You have to coach during the season...and then recruit all off season. There is no down time. Its a brutal life.

College gigs are typically more secure in terms of giving you time to lose and rebuild, some even pay more than NFL, but overall the NFL is better for family life. BA doesnt have to go knock on FA's doors like College coaches do. Nick Saban to this day still sits in recruits living rooms talking to parents.

It comes down to preference, but dont ever think College Coaching jobs are cushy. They are the most demanding jobs on earth
    You do realize Jim Harbaugh loves all of those things.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Michigan needs to beat Ohio state before they even talk conference title

Harbaugh rebuilds then he leaves . It doesn't matter if he's a Michigan man. They all leave

If the colts offer something similar to what the hawks offered carrol . Harbaugh would leave

Quote Originally Posted by Belac44 View Post
    BA is not getting fired.

I understand the doubt thing honestly. I just have some inside info that this may not be so far fetched.
    True he's not getting fired BUT, if this thing ends up at 6-10, 7-9, etc., Palmer retires and it's off to whispering with someone not drafted in the first round I think Arians will retire. His numbers after five years, plus the trend that won't be his friend would put him in the Whis zone. Better regular season record, much worse playoff record.

OK with that out of the way I would like Bowles to get a long look. I'm not hung up on his demeanor at all, heck we have Mr. Fireball now and that doesn't seem to matter much. Plus Belicheck is pretty laid back on the sidelines. I remember that lunatic Mike Stoops ranting and raving at every little thing on the UA sidelines for years and he looked like an absolute clown, so in no way am I sold on the fire and brimstone model. I think Bowles is a good coach in a bad situation. Forget about Gruden.

On a similar note I'm pretty sure Arians has talked up his boy Goodwin as HC material like he did with Bowles, which begs the question: If he's so awesome, why can't he be trusted with playcalling duties? It's probably a rhetorical question, what with the Whisperer writing a book and all.

You do realize Jim Harbaugh loves all of those things.
    I imagine he loves his family and kids more

Quote Originally Posted by vwvectors View Post
    I like OC Jim Bob Cooter of the Lions. He appears to make good adjustments I like his adaptability. He is young 33 I think which seems to the trend in the league.
    "Cardinals head coach Jim Bob Cooter, you've just won the Super Bowl, where are you going to go now?!"

Gosh I just can't fathom that, maybe he could refer to himself as James (or Jim) Cooter? I worked with a woman who was known as Susie her whole life but she switched to Susan for professional reasons. Heck even child actor Ricky Schroeder changed to Rick to try to stay relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    True he's not getting fired BUT, if this thing ends up at 6-10, 7-9, etc., Palmer retires and it's off to whispering with someone not drafted in the first round I think Arians will retire. His numbers after five years, plus the trend that won't be his friend would put him in the Whis zone. Better regular season record, much worse playoff record.

OK with that out of the way I would like Bowles to get a long look. I'm not hung up on his demeanor at all, heck we have Mr. Fireball now and that doesn't seem to matter much. Plus Belicheck is pretty laid back on the sidelines. I remember that lunatic Mike Stoops ranting and raving at every little thing on the UA sidelines for years and he looked like an absolute clown, so in no way am I sold on the fire and brimstone model. I think Bowles is a good coach in a bad situation. Forget about Gruden.

On a similar note I'm pretty sure Arians has talked up his boy Goodwin as HC material like he did with Bowles, which begs the question: If he's so awesome, why can't he be trusted with playcalling duties? It's probably a rhetorical question, what with the Whisperer writing a book and all.
    I never said he wouldn't retire. Simply said he isn't getting fired. I think it is very realistic he could retire after this year and that is the only reason I am even participating in this thread.

Great point on Goodwin. I have actually talked with Goodwin before and he said the words "If I am ever the head coach of the Cards, it's because of that guy". It was not BA but someone else high in the organization. So the aspirations are there for Goodwin. You would think if BA was planning to be on his way out he would let Goodwin have a bigger role though.