Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *Breaking Down the Oline*

Default *Breaking Down the Oline*

Lets take a look at this cluster.

LT - Humphries. Been out injured, but should be back this week. When he does play, hes so-so. Better than Wetzel (which isnt a high bar) but his return is not as the savior I think many expect. Our line is busted with or without Hump.

LT - Wetzel. I honestly think hes done a good job, all things considered. All the flags to my memory have been on Boehm and Veldheer, not Wetzel. I give him a B+ for hanging in there tough.

LG - Iupati done for the season and done for his Cards career most likely.

LG - Alex Boone. Im on record for not liking the guy, but thought he did a good job when he played. We desperately need him back. I think his return might arguably be even more helpful than that of Humphries.

LG - Holden. Beat like a drum, but the guy is a rookie, what do you expect? Ill never fault a guy for doing his best in a tough situation.

C - Shipley. Arguably the best player on our Oline which is almost tragic to say. Hes the only guy without a flag and you never hear his name as being the fault for a sack. Im sure hes given up his fair share of pressures, but thus far, hes been out of sight, out of mind. Good job AQ.

RG - Boehm...hes not a G. Hes a Center. Hes too small for a G, just as Shipley is too small for a G. Boehm might be our Center of the future for all we know. He was a very good Center in college. But as far as being a Guard goes, I would bench him immediately. Horrendous thus far. Biggest liability on the line, Veldheer included.

RT - Veldheer. Did better vs the 9ers than hes done thus far. But it doesnt change much. Hes going to be a liability all year. Hes got a foot out the door. Mentally hes home fishing. All we can hope is none of his lapses results in a big injury to Carson.

---------------------

Future

LT - Hump is the guy, like it or not.

LG - Need a new one. Either draft or free agency.

C - Need one. Might be Boehm.

RG - Need one. Either draft or free agency. The big fish RG FA is Trai Turner. Im not sure if Carolina can afford him. If they let him walk, crack open the vault. (We can afford it. We'll be flush with cash). Thats how Oakland built their dominant Oline. Bought it in FA.

RT - Need one.

My 2 cents: If we dont land a QB in the 2018 draft (and I hope we dont reach for one out of desperation) then I would 100% be in favor of going 1, 2 on Oline in the draft. Say:

1st - Connor Williams - RT, Texas. Big ole boy. Veldheer-esque prior to Veldheer quitting. Very solid. High pro bowl potential, low risk pick.
    2nd - Will Hernandez -G, UTEP. Other than putting up consistent elite performance, this guy just looks like a star G. Big, bearded, boxy. Like a Hispanic Alan Faneca.

Those are 2 elite, young talents on the line. I love what Dallas has done, investing early picks into the line, and its paying off every day. No guy is guaranteed, but that doesnt mean you stop trying just because Cooper was a bust. I really like Connor and Will. 2 powerful, tough guys. No mental softness. Exactly what we need on the line.
    Last edited by Zaz; 10-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.

So, we overhauled our entire line and still need 4 more guys? ****.
    What a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by kennydorglas View Post
    So, we overhauled our entire line and still need 4 more guys? ****.
    What a disaster.
    What overhaul?

you get what you pay for. 5th round Holden. 5th round Toner. 4th round Dorian (who I was surprised is struggling). Undrafted Free Agent Wetzel. Bunch of mid rounders. Yeah, I think our line performs exactly as if its full of 5th rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    What overhaul?

you get what you pay for. 5th round Holden. 5th round Toner. 4th round Dorian (who I was surprised is struggling). Undrafted Free Agent Wetzel. Bunch of mid rounders. Yeah, I think our line performs exactly as if its full of 5th rounders.
    I mean since Arians got here... we spent A LOT on those guys to only come with 1 decent (jury still out on Humphries)

I'd rather build a line before getting a franchise QB. Nothing ruins a young QB quicker then a bad line. See David Carr among others.

We can get real lucky next draft by getting that franchise QB and building our line with money.

You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    I'd rather build a line before getting a franchise QB. Nothing ruins a young QB quicker then a bad line. See David Carr among others.

We can get real lucky next draft by getting that franchise QB and building our line with money.

You never know.
    This.

I would feel much more relaxed if we get a QB in the first, then spend money on the OL.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post

You never know.
    Thats the ideal situation for sure. Rarely does life work out that way.

I think the absolute most likely situation:

We sign Alex Smith in free agency, we sign a big money OL in free agency, and we draft a high pick OL. Thats 2 solid additions to the OL, and we have a QB for the next 2-3 years.

Not my 1st choice, but what I most expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    What overhaul?

We're back to the same debate from the Grimm years. Draft 'em late, then coach 'em up with the best ever OL coach that ever lived. Arians came in and said he needed multiple coaches to coach 'em up and got them, and here we are. Kolb got destroyed in 2012, five short years later Palmer is getting destroyed. The only difference I guess is that now it costs more money to get 'em coached up.

I keep getting back to OL play largely stinking throughout the league due to the spread (no pun intended) of spread offenses. The first round studs are few, if they even exist anymore. So I can't really argue with the idea of going mid-rounds or maybe later to find guys who barely know what a three point stance is instead of grabbing them in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post

I keep getting back to OL play largely stinking throughout the league due to the spread (no pun intended) of spread offenses. The first round studs are few, if they even exist anymore. So I can't really argue with the idea of going mid-rounds or maybe later to find guys who barely know what a three point stance is instead of grabbing them in the first.
    So with most things I disagree with, I set out to do a little research to build a counter argument. I sit here slightly amazed. Because Im more right than even I realized.

This is kind of crazy, I did not expect it to be this overwhelming:

2017 pro bowl OLs:

T -Joe Thomas - 1st round
    T - Taylor Lewan - 1st round
    T - Andrew Whitworth - 2nd round
    G - Kelechi Osemele- 2nd round
    G - Richie Incognito - 3rd round
    G - David Decastro - 1st round
    C- Rodney Hudson - 2rd round
    G - Jeremy Zuttah - 3rd round
    G - Marshal Yanda - 3rd round
    C - Maurkice Pouncey - 1st round
    C - Eric Wood - 1st round
    C - Ryan Kalil - 2nd round

T - Tyron Smith - 1st round
    T - Trent Williams - 1st round
    T - David Bakhtiari - 4th round - there ya go! 1 out of 20 aint bad.
    T - Jason Peters - Undrafted! good for him.
    G - Zack Martin - 1st round
    G - Trai Turner - 3rd round
    G - Josh Sitton - 4th round - huh, ironically both are Packer guys. Maybe that says something about their OL coach.
    G - TJ Lang - 4th round....guess what...PACKER. This is honestly nuts
    G - Brandon Scherff - 1st round
    C - Travis Frederick - 1st round
    C- Jason Kelce - 6th round - The Rudy of the bunch
    C- Alex Mack - 1st round

24 guys total:

1st round -11
    2nd round - 4
    3rd round - 4
    4th round - 3, all packers
    5th round - 0
    6th round - 1
    7th round - 0
    Undrafted - 1

WOW.

I think I rest my case. Hey Keim! Spend some 1st round picks on OL will ya!

I can't believe that Ari S is actually making sense in this thread.

I appreciate where your head is, Zaz, but the unfortunate reality is that drafting OL has become too risky in this era of spread college offenses and OL never putting their hands in the dirt.

The way to go is DRAFT a QB (so you get him cheap for 5 years - a tremendous advantage) and BUY your OL by bringing in guys who have proven they can block in the NFL.