Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *Breaking Down the Oline*

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Patchwork is an understatement. I'm glad we brought back Watford
    Me, too.

I never understood why we picked up orphans and castoffs and let Watford go . . . money? Personality clash with Goodwin or BA? Scapegoating?
    Is the grass always greener with whoever makes the decisions? Thankfully, Watford knows the playbook. Now, if only they let him settle into one position ......
    but that is looking very unlikely this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Knobby View Post
    Me, too.

I never understood why we picked up orphans and castoffs and let Watford go . . . money? Personality clash with Goodwin or BA? Scapegoating?
    Is the grass always greener with whoever makes the decisions? Thankfully, Watford knows the playbook. Now, if only they let him settle into one position ......
    but that is looking very unlikely this year.
    money

Jags were just handing out money like free turkeys in free agency and he got himself a 2 year $6 mill deal. Very nice. They released him a couple months later. Im curious how much guaranteed money he got.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Thats the ideal situation for sure. Rarely does life work out that way.

I think the absolute most likely situation:

We sign Alex Smith in free agency, we sign a big money OL in free agency, and we draft a high pick OL. Thats 2 solid additions to the OL, and we have a QB for the next 2-3 years.

Not my 1st choice, but what I most expect.
    You don't have to spend a first on OL. You just don't need to go the opposite extreme and expect to fill your line with 5th through 7th rounders which Keim loves to do. Spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick an offensive lineman.

Get your QB in the first and focus 2nd and 3rd round picks on OL.

I think a drastic mistake was moving Veldheer to right tackle. Veldheer is the best left tackle we've had since Lomas Brown. Veldheer is better than Humphries at left tackle. Humphries should have been kept at right tackle.
    Last edited by cardinalsDO; 10-03-2017 at 02:01 AM.
    Go Cardinals!

money

Jags were just handing out money like free turkeys in free agency and he got himself a 2 year $6 mill deal. Very nice. They released him a couple months later. Im curious how much guaranteed money he got.
    Good news. Poverty, or the prospect of NFL paychecks going away, will hopefully be a good motivator for Watford.

Unless you have a rock solid O line you can't have a QB like Palmer. One who is a statue in the pocket and has no escape ability. Every team in football know where Palmer will be on a give pass play. They also don't have to worry about him breaking contain and running for 5 to 20 some yards. So they can just pin their ears back and not worry about him scrambling. The D line doesn't have to stay wide because Palmer isn't going to do a spin and run for some yards. Make it a lot harder on the O line and a lot easier on the D line facing a QB like Palmer.

A good point was last nights game between the Chiefs and Skins. Smith on at least 4 different occasions broke contain and picked up the 1st down with his legs. One of them was a 32 yard gain. Smith last night won that game with his legs as much as he did with his arm. We don't have that luxury with Palmer. He either gets the ball out or gets sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Unless you have a rock solid O line you can't have a QB like Palmer. One who is a statue in the pocket and has no escape ability. Every team in football know where Palmer will be on a give pass play. They also don't have to worry about him breaking contain and running for 5 to 20 some yards. So they can just pin their ears back and not worry about him scrambling. The D line doesn't have to stay wide because Palmer isn't going to do a spin and run for some yards. Make it a lot harder on the O line and a lot easier on the D line facing a QB like Palmer.

A good point was last nights game between the Chiefs and Skins. Smith on at least 4 different occasions broke contain and picked up the 1st down with his legs. One of them was a 32 yard gain. Smith last night won that game with his legs as much as he did with his arm. We don't have that luxury with Palmer. He either gets the ball out or gets sacked.

Cousins too.. And man Washington's o-line was playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    You don't have to spend a first on OL. You just don't need to go the opposite extreme and expect to fill your line with 5th through 7th rounders which Keim loves to do. Spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick an offensive lineman.

Get your QB in the first and focus 2nd and 3rd round picks on OL.

I think a drastic mistake was moving Veldheer to right tackle. Veldheer is the best left tackle we've had since Lomas Brown. Veldheer is better than Humphries at left tackle. Humphries should have been kept at right tackle.
    You dont have to do anything. But it depends on if you want to half-*** fix the problem or not. Based on the 2017 pro bowl, I would absolutely use a 1st on OL.
    2017 Pro Bowl OL breakdown
    1st round -11
    2nd round - 4
    3rd round - 4
    4th round - 3, all packers
    5th round - 0
    6th round - 1
    7th round - 0
    Undrafted - 1
    I really dont understand why so many people (the Cardinals FO historically) think its wise to be cheapskates on OL. In my opinion, QB #1, OL #2. I would invest HEAVILY into OL. Your OL is your pass game. Your OL is your run game.

And I said QB is the priority in the 1st post. Im for using picks 1-2 on OLs assuming we dont land a QB.

My 2 cents: If we dont land a QB in the 2018 draft (and I hope we dont reach for one out of desperation) then I would 100% be in favor of going 1, 2 on Oline in the draft.

There were a couple of guards available this off season that would have really helped the Cards. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the expectation of Boehn to play well at guard was a complete failure of evaluation.

Larry Warford who missed 7 games in 4 years was signed by the Saints who have an aging QB who they want to protect.

Kevin Zeitler wasted his talents by signing the biggest contract in the league history for guards so clearly he went for the cash.

Was it realistic the Cards could have freed up the money to sign one of these guys? They let CC and Tony go. Could some of that savings gone towards one of these two guys.

It can be argued it could have made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchDJ View Post
    This.

I would feel much more relaxed if we get a QB in the first, then spend money on the OL.
    Totally agree.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Great post OP.

RG - Watford has always been a mystery on this team. He apparently is not well loved by the coaching staff. I say that because he plays well when they call his name, but he's often yanked... IMO prematurely. His limited game tape on this team is a heck of a lot better than Boehm's. The experiment with Boehm at G needs to be over. He's still a potentially decent C.

I have a lot I love about BA. He seems to get good to great results from QB, RB, WR, T, and C. Even with back ups.

However, I'm completely baffled of his handling of Watford, Toner, and Johnson at G. They may not be world beaters, but neither are Holden and Boehm. BA just has this UBER strange doghouse with Olinemen. Holden and Boehm have played out of position because of our lack of depth at G. I would have been far happier to see Toner and Johnson playing against SF. RG hasn't been right since BA got here.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly