Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: *Breaking Down the Oline*

I hate to say this, but I think the OL is all about coaching and having the same guys play together.

Something is wrong. Our OL has been suspect for sometime now. Is it bad luck....maybe...but I think its more coaching than anything else.

At one time we had Jim Hannifin as OL line coach, and it was the best. After a stint at Head coach, he went on to be other teams OL coach....he was good.

We need a dedicated OL coach who know what he is doing.

The OL is everything. It make QB's look good, RB's look good. It wares out the defense.

I think we have the people, just poor coaching.....just my take on this.....piece
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

We've had 2 years of o-line shuffling due to injuries. We had 3 or 4 weeks at the end of last season when they performed well and they did because they were learning each others strengths and weaknesses and communicating well. Until we get some consistency, it will remain a dumpster fire. Somebody is out every week with an injury.

In the Dallas game, second half, Dallas continually threatened a blitz with 5 to 7 guys at the line and then drop back and only rush 3. You would think 5 men on the line could handle 3, but no, they couldn't. Why is that? Because they were not coordinating or communicating. Because they had not worked together very long. They were left standing there looking dazed and confused. The niners tried the same tactic with less success.

These guys were mostly drafted into the NFL and are good at what they do or they wouldn't have been drafted. They need the experience of working together with the same group of guys and a good o-line coach. I agree with Biggs and believe that coaching could be a problem but the inconsistency is definitely hurting us.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    I hate to say this, but I think the OL is all about coaching and having the same guys play together.

Something is wrong. Our OL has been suspect for sometime now. Is it bad luck....maybe...but I think its more coaching than anything else.

At one time we had Jim Hannifin as OL line coach, and it was the best. After a stint at Head coach, he went on to be other teams OL coach....he was good.

We need a dedicated OL coach who know what he is doing.

The OL is everything. It make QB's look good, RB's look good. It wares out the defense.

I think we have the people, just poor coaching.....just my take on this.....piece
    Thomas, you beat me to it.

A new coach for OL is needed because I've seen very little development of the young draftees and we are the worst screen team in the NFL (part of this is BA's fault). The OL plays well on the first drive and then deteriorates over the course of the game and is a dumpster fire by the 4th qtr ... if they could ever teach the timing of a well-executed screen pass to the RB's, this could take off some of the DL pressure in the 4th qtr. Part of a well-executed screen pass is to make the DL think you are pass blocking and just allow the DL loose to the QB after a quick 2 - count ... our OL does that expertly now but unfortunately instead of the OL moving out to block for a screen they look back with hands on hips watching CP getting pummeled.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

2017 pro bowl OLs:

T -Joe Thomas - 1st round
    T - Taylor Lewan - 1st round
    T - Andrew Whitworth - 2nd round
    G - Kelechi Osemele- 2nd round
    G - Richie Incognito - 3rd round
    G - David Decastro - 1st round
    C- Rodney Hudson - 2rd round
    G - Jeremy Zuttah - 3rd round
    G - Marshal Yanda - 3rd round
    C - Maurkice Pouncey - 1st round
    C - Eric Wood - 1st round
    C - Ryan Kalil - 2nd round

T - Tyron Smith - 1st round
    T - Trent Williams - 1st round
    T - David Bakhtiari - 4th round - there ya go! 1 out of 20 aint bad.
    T - Jason Peters - Undrafted! good for him.
    G - Zack Martin - 1st round
    G - Trai Turner - 3rd round
    G - Josh Sitton - 4th round - huh, ironically both are Packer guys. Maybe that says something about their OL coach.
    G - TJ Lang - 4th round....guess what...PACKER. This is honestly nuts
    G - Brandon Scherff - 1st round
    C - Travis Frederick - 1st round
    C- Jason Kelce - 6th round - The Rudy of the bunch
    C- Alex Mack - 1st round

24 guys total:

1st round -11
    2nd round - 4
    3rd round - 4
    4th round - 3, all packers
    5th round - 0
    6th round - 1
    7th round - 0
    Undrafted - 1

WOW.

I think I rest my case. Hey Keim! Spend some 1st round picks on OL will ya!

Im gonna go ahead and bump this as a public service