Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punting

Default Punting

I kind of find this curious. Not many comments on our punting. Yes its better, but only barely.

Andy Lee can punt far, but his hang time is awful. Almost every punt, there is a run back.

This season, he is 11th in punt avg, but 29th in net.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...etAvgPuntYards

And you just can't blame punt coverage. More often than not, the punt receiver gets the ball and our punt coverage is still 10 yards away.

Hang time can be just as important as distance. If you give a punt returner space, you are asking for trouble.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    I kind of find this curious. Not many comments on our punting. Yes its better, but only barely.

Andy Lee can punt far, but his hang time is awful. Almost every punt, there is a run back.

This season, he is 11th in punt avg, but 29th in net.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/t...etAvgPuntYards

And you just can't blame punt coverage. More often than not, the punt receiver gets the ball and our punt coverage is still 10 yards away.

Hang time can be just as important as distance. If you give a punt returner space, you are asking for trouble.
    You've pointed out the obvious flaw in the ST. Lee should kick the ball to only land near or just outside the sideline, vice landing somewhere near the middle of the field and allow a 10-15 yard return. ARI has been lucky so far. Eventually, one of those arcing kicks will be delivered back to our end zone for a cheap 6 TD + 1 PA.

Take the San Fran game. We had poor field position at times and Andy made some very nice kicks. I thought his hang time looked great. Of course when you kick it further the PR will have more time to return it.
    We were so used to Butler's 30 yard kicks it's taken time to get used to Andy.

From the eyeball test he's been great.
    season ticket holder

Lee is a world better than any kicker we've had the last 20 years.

looking at the numbers doesn't tell the whole story

He's booming kicks like I've never seen.

Watching on TV does not show how huge his kicks are....I've had season tickets for what seems forever, and no one and I mean NO ONE in a Cardinals uniform has ever kicked as high or as deep as he does. He's AMAZING!!!!

He single handedly turned the field position on SF twice.

Next kick you see him do on tv watch the return man...they are all RUNNING backwards to catch the ball.

Knocking Lee is beyond dumb
    Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals View Post

Watching on TV does not show how huge his kicks are....I've had season tickets for what seems forever, and no one and I mean NO ONE in a Cardinals uniform has ever kicked as high or as deep as he does. He's AMAZING!!!!

Next kick you see him do on tv watch the return man...they are all RUNNING backwards to catch the ball.

20 years? No.
    3 years? OK.

He's better than Butler.

His stats are in-line with what we saw from Zastudil.

I beg to differ. Yes he is kicking the ball far. As said his 46.7 avg is 11th in the league...not too bad. However punt average is not the most important stat...net avg is. At 39.3 yd avg, he is 29th in the league.

Of 21 punts, 15 have been returned for a total of 155 yds with a 10.3 yd avg per return. That is what is killing his net average.

He kicks far but not high enough to get the hang time for our defenders to get to the punt catcher. That's why he has 15 returns vs 2 fair catches. That ties us for last along with Cleveland.

I get it. When you see those punts sail down the field, it looks good. But when you look at the full picture of our punting game, its not as good as it looks.
    Last edited by thomas cat; 10-06-2017 at 03:20 PM.

That's called winning games in a way. With how poorly the Cards played at times and granted the niners as well; thank goodness we had Lee.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

I beg to differ. Yes he is kicking the ball far. As said his 46.7 avg is 11th in the league...not too bad. However punt average is not the most important stat...net avg is. At 39.3 yd avg, he is 29th in the league.

Of 21 punts, 15 have been returned for a total of 155 yds with a 10.3 yd avg per return. That is what is killing his net average.

He kicks far but not high enough to get the hang time for our defenders to get to the punt catcher. That's why he has 15 returns vs 2 fair catches. That ties us for last along with Cleveland.

I get it. When you see those punts sail down the field, it looks good. But when you look at the full picture of our punting game, its not as good as it looks.
    Can you provide some stats that back up your assertion that his hang time is less then average?

HIs kicks look pretty high to me. And because we cant cover on his kicks somehow this falls on Lee?

So far IMO he's been consistent and has smoked Butler.
    season ticket holder

First let me say I admit stats don't always tell the whole story.....

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Can you provide some stats that back up your assertion that his hang time is less then average?
    I wish I could, but apparently that's not a stat that is widely kept. My reasoning for guessing its a hang time problem is 15 of his 21 punts have been returned vs two fair catches. That usually indicates a hang time problem.

HIs kicks look pretty high to me. And because we cant cover on his kicks somehow this falls on Lee?
    Now if you want to blame it on punt coverage, I'm open to that possibility....we do have Amos as our ST coach....

So far IMO he's been consistent and has smoked Butler.
    I will certainly agree, he is better than Butler. Plus and unlike Butler, he has yet to have a truly bad punt.

The very best punters will always try to balance distance with hang time so there is no runback. If more often than not the punt is being returned, there is a problem be it the punter or the coverage.
    Last edited by thomas cat; 10-07-2017 at 10:25 AM.

First let me say I admit stats don't always tell the whole story.....

I wish I could, but apparently that's not a stat that is widely kept. My reasoning for guessing its a hang time problem is 15 of his 21 punts have been returned vs two fair catches. That usually indicates a hang time problem.

Now if you want to blame it on punt coverage, I'm open to that possibility....we do have Amos as our ST coach....

I will certainly agree, he is better than Butler. Plus and unlike Butler, he has yet to have a truly bad punt.

The very best punters will always try to balance distance with hang time so there is no runback. If more often than not the punt is being returned, there is a problem be it the punter or the coverage.
    I don't think fair catches tell the whole story. Most of the returned punts happen because the ball is kicked far enough that the coverage team cannot catch up to the PR. I think that's fair and obvious although to your point yes if it's not hanging high enough that poses a problem too.

but Lee's kick's look plenty high. And BA mentioned when they signed him his combination of time in the air (he stated it) and distance is still world class.

I think we have a very good punter now.
    season ticket holder