Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: It's time to shut it down

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Just in the last 3 years:

Hudson, Whitworth, Schwartz, Mack, Zeitler, Lang, Reiff, Leary, Osemele, Carpenter, Mathis, Iupati, Incognito.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I've missed many.

The one thing you said that was true is that you better be willing to PAY. Good thing Arizona will have a gazillion dollars in March.
    Several of those guys were north of 30 when they were UFA. Which means you're going to have to sign them to a 5 year deal, and hope to get 2 good years, ride out years 3 possibly 4 and cut him before year 5 and still take a small dead money cap hit. This approach means that every couple of years you're going to have to sign not-quite-too-old 31-32 year old lineman and hope they remain productive until 34. It also means every couple of years you better have lots of cap space to sign guys like this, b/c there will always be 10-15 teams with a gazillion dollars in March.

The other other approach is draft and develop, and resign/extend when they're 26. This approach is a total crap shoot, and guarantees major growing pains until they actually start to play well.

I'm not advocating for either approach, just stating there is an OL crisis league wide caused by a confluence of many factors. (I realize I did advocate for draft and develop in my other post.) I think every team except the Cowboys and Raiders could point to 3 positions on their OL and say "yea, we could definitely upgrade there." several more could point to 4 positions, and a few poor unfortunate souls could say all 5.

It's all well and good to say "we'll solve our issues in Free Agency, but the reality is that's not a bounty of talent. Almost any OL who hits UFA has issues. There is a rare exception like Osemele, 25 years old, solid pro bowler, but that is very very rare. Most are in their 30's, or have an injury history. Some are both. And you could lose out anyway for other reasons. The Seahawks lost out on TJ Lang last spring, even though their offer was slightly better than Detroit's b/c his wife didn't want to leave the midwest as they're both from there. Nothing you can do about that.

Don't pencil in shiny new capable OL into your roster next year. There's a feeding frenzy when it comes to capable OL. They're like left handed pitching at the moment.
    Last edited by Seahawks4ever; 10-09-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    You mean soccer? The sport for 4th graders that foreigners take seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawks4ever View Post
    Several of those guys were north of 30 when they were UFA. Which means you're going to have to sign them to a 5 year deal, and hope to get 2 good years, ride out years 3 possibly 4 and cut him before year 5 and still take a small dead money cap hit. This approach means that every couple of years you're going to have to sign not-quite-too-old 31-32 year old lineman and hope they remain productive until 34. It also means every couple of years you better have lots of cap space to sign guys like this, b/c there will always be 10-15 teams with a gazillion dollars in March.

The other other approach is draft and develop, and resign/extend when they're 26. This approach is a total crap shoot, and guarantees major growing pains until they actually start to play well.

I'm not advocating for either approach, just stating there is an OL crisis league wide caused by a confluence of many factors. (I realize I did advocate for draft and develop in my other post.) I think every team except the Cowboys and Raiders could point to 3 positions on their OL and say "yea, we could definitely upgrade there." several more could point to 4 positions, and a few poor unfortunate souls could say all 5.

It's all well and good to say "we'll solve our issues in Free Agency, but the reality is that's not a bounty of talent. Almost any OL who hits UFA has issues. There is a rare exception like Osemele, 25 years old, solid pro bowler, but that is very very rare. Most are in their 30's, or have an injury history. Some are both. And you could lose out anyway for other reasons. The Seahawks lost out on TJ Lang last spring, even though their offer was slightly better than Detroit's b/c his wife didn't want to leave the midwest as they're both from there. Nothing you can do about that.

Don't pencil in shiny new capable OL into your roster next year. There's a feeding frenzy when it comes to capable OL. They're like left handed pitching at the moment.
    Part of it is the CBA. It takes a lot of practice to develop a good OL unit. The CBA eliminated a lot of mandatory practice and none mandatory practice. It also gave teams a huge incentive to let veteran players walk and fill the position with cheap rookies. It allowed them to concentrate the cap into big stars at the expense of solid vets. The carousel of solid veterans being replaced by cheap rookie contracts shows up more on the OL because it's a unit that needs continuity. You couple that with rule changes every year and it's not easy to build a solid OL unity with continuity. Plug and play is a lot tougher for OL than anywhere else on the roster.

I don't know if this is playing into it but OL players are subject to lots of head injuries. Once a player gets his first big none rookie contract there may be an incentive to mail it in. It used to be OL men played well into their 30's. More and more OL players seem to be washing out younger. It could be the data has impacted the mindset of some of these players once they have cashed in.
    Last edited by Biggs; 10-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawks4ever View Post
    Very true.

Not sure anyone is "penciling in."

But I do think that the one way you can get an advantage is by having more $, and Keim will have a bunch at his disposal, with no major FA to worry about, and the only potential big money decisions being extensions for DJohnson, Golden, and Bucannon- which can technically be done in-season and have minimal effect on the '18 cap if structured right.
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 10-09-2017 at 01:58 PM.