Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Steve Keim's Tenure

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    You're making my point for me. You listed four games where the atrocious kicking game arguably contributed to a loss. The kicking game can't be ignored, period. It's 1/3 of the units that take the field. Also you left out the Buffalo game but I think Tyrod "The Flash" Taylor's once in a lifetime performance probably rendered the Benny Hill quality kicking game moot.

Maybe the worst part about this thread is that a bunch of guys are volleying back and fourth about an NFL team that is below .500 in its last 21 regular season games and re-assumed it's mantle of mediocrity.
    I agree with you but that's something you don't know until a season starts and really at that point, it's pretty much too late. Our punting always sucked but we weren't out here just losing games because of kicking until last year I really don't know what happened with the 180 there.
    Last edited by ~Main Event~; 10-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    While this is all true, it could also be said of many playoff teams. Rarely does a team go into the playoffs unscathed.

Our ST was so bad it overwhelmed our #2 ranked D and #9 ranked O in yards/game. (#14 and #6 in points). How many teams have a top 10 O and D and miss the playoffs? I honestly don't know, but it has to be rare.

To the continued point of Diche and Brandon Williams, yes they haven't performed up to their expected level. I would not call them busts, but I'll concede the point for now to further the discussion. What does this say about Keim as compared to other GMs? Should he be fired because of missing on a 1st and 3rd? How much credit does he get for hitting on a 2nd, and two 3rds? As pissed as I was that we drafted Logan, he was still only a 4th rounder. How many other great GMs have Keim's percentage of "hits"?

Compare that to Billicheck. Just this past draft they only had 4 picks. 3 of them aren't on the team. Two of them are 3rd rounders. And the 4th rounder is a backup. In 2016, they cut a 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th. So if we're going to complain about Keim who missed on a 1st, 3rd, 4th and 4th over 5 drafts, what should we say about missing a 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd and 4th in just 2 drafts?

I'm all for grinding the bottom 5% guys. I'd just like to know if that's what's going on here. Outside of missing on 5 of his 21 picks 4th round and under, Keim has been pretty remarkable (2015: Hump, Golden, DJ, Gunter, and JJ is a great year for anyone).
    You aren't graded on the draft alone as a GM. You are graded based on the draft, contracts, FA's who you let go, who you pick up. BB has failed on a number of draft picks but he also has taken guys who many GM's didn't feel deserved a high draft grade and coached them up.

The top 10 O and D where both wildly inconsistent. That's one of the things I was trying to point out. Our D was good in some games, and bad the next. Our O sort of was the same way. Every time we were in a position to get above 500 one of the units, not the special teams alone, put up a stinker. That's the sign of a team that is either playing to the level of the competition or even worse has great ability and mails it in during lots of games. That gets into the character of the roster and coaching staff. Also the responsibility of the GM.

Football for all the matches on offense and all the exotic blitzes on defense is a simple game. It all comes down to the O line and D line. If you have a good O line and D line it makes everything so much easier. If you have an O line that can block for the run and pick up the blitzed from the D you have a winning team. Same on D. If you have a D line that can stop the run and consistently get after the QB with only 4 guys you have another winning combination.

So far neither our O line or D line have been very good. They have stopped the run on D but need blitzed to put pressure on the QB. And we all know how much this O line sucks right now. Nothing is going to change until both lines are fixed. Peterson isn't going to do much better than CJ behind this O line. I doubt DJ would also.

Raze is online now You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Football for all the matches on offense and all the exotic blitzes on defense is a simple game. It all comes down to the O line and D line. If you have a good O line and D line it makes everything so much easier. If you have an O line that can block for the run and pick up the blitzed from the D you have a winning team. Same on D. If you have a D line that can stop the run and consistently get after the QB with only 4 guys you have another winning combination.

So far neither our O line or D line have been very good. They have stopped the run on D but need blitzed to put pressure on the QB. And we all know how much this O line sucks right now. Nothing is going to change until both lines are fixed. Peterson isn't going to do much better than CJ behind this O line. I doubt DJ would also.
    I couldn't agree more.

The only thing Keim could do about the Oline now is to make a trade for a T/G combo guy to fill in for anyone of Hump/Boone/Boehm/Veldheer. Boehm HAS to be benched as a G soon if he doesn't turn it around. I would love to see him trade for a vet starting RG. I'm not sure who's potentially available, but filling that spot would priority #1. It would have to be someone who BA approves of. Lord knows there's no point in getting a talented player who "can't figure out BA's offense".

As for D, Calais is predictably missed. Diche can't get onto the field. Peters is hurt. Pierre is hurt. We really need someone to start shining.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly