Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Keim's Tenure

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Default Steve Keim's Tenure

I understand the angst that we all are feeling. This season has already been disappointing even though we're just one game back of .500. However, I'd like to have an objective discussion on where the blame lies, or rather doesn't lie, for the poor start. Particularly as it pertains to Steve Keim.

Many a fan on this forum has bemoaned his competency and yet I've heard far too little to substantiate it. Often it's just "Well our team sucks, so it's his fault." It's true our team is stinking up the joint. But Keim's fault? While you have every right to state that, I don't think you have nearly enough evidence to support it. I think it's important to differentiate between what is Keim's fault and what is BA's.

First of all, the people who are paid to express their opinions should be heard:

USAToday's Steven Ruiz had Keim ranked 6th in May of this year.
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/nfl-...der-john-elway

Rotoworld's Patrick Daugherty had Keim ranked 6th in April of this year.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...-best-gms-2017

Fox's Chris Chase had Keim ranked 10th in January of this year.
    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery...nchises-011117

I didn't cherry pick these. They were the only ones I could find online. So 3 legitimate sites had him ranked in the top 10 BEFORE the season began. While that isn't conclusive evidence that he is a top 10 GM, it sure supports the notion that he is.

As far as his job is concerned he has three main player personnel responsibilities: drafting, signing, and trading.

TRADES:

He gave up a 6th for Carson Palmer. One of the greatest steals in Cardinal history.
    He gave up a 2nd and Cooper for Chandler Jones. Got great return on that one.
    He gave up a 7th for Marcus Cooper. Got a serviceable CB (Pro Bowl alternate) and we should get a compensatory 6th in return since he signed with the Bears. So we traded up in the 2018 draft to get a good CB for a year.
    He's traded all over the place in the draft and received good, not great return. We're all gonna debate like crazy what could have happened, but in the end he hasn't made a colossally bad trade in the draft.

SIGNINGS:

He's gotten good production from his big signings: Iupati and Veldheer. It's true, they all hit a massive wall this year, but were good before now.
    He's signed solid vets to fill roles like Frostee, Shipley, Karlos, Branch, Gresham, etc. He's had a few whiffs at the plate: Ginn and Weatherspoon, but the good has far outweighed the bad.
    He's renowned for getting veterans on the cheap, only to see them sign next year somewhere else for bigger money.
    All his outiside/in signings have been fiscally responsible. Internal signings have been very good, except HBs. That's a tough one.
    He has also had some solid players that he picked up as UDFA's: Tony Jefferson, Chandler Catanzaro, Jaron Brown, and Xavier Williams.

DRAFT:

We could go on and on about how good or bad he's been. The argument won't end. But we should at the very least only compare him to other GMs during his tenure. It's preposterous and ignorant to compare him to the perfect GM that doesn't EVER miss on picks. Many on here make this mistake and it's irrational. He should be weighed and measured against the other 31 in his trade. However, that's an exhausting task. I've spent hours looking over data and can only come to a personal conclusion that Keim is at least the best in his division. But I'd suspect, if I had infinite time to look over league wide results, that he'd be top 10.

He has had some great hits in 5 drafts: HB, David Johnson, Deone, and Golden. And he's had a bunch of starters. Very few duds (Logan). WAAAAAY too many injuries. I only give him blame for drafting guys with histories of injuries (Niklas) rather than freak injuries (Cooper).

3 of his 5 1st round picks are starters: Cooper, Hump, and Deone. Nkemdiche can't stay healthy. Reddick is on his way to being a starter. (BTW: Cooper looked like a star yesterday vs GB)

IN ALL:

He's fantastic at trades and solid at signings. Drafting is always debatable, but he at least has a healthy majority of starters with his early round picks. His record is 43-25 and 1-2 in the playoffs with 1 bye. And he has 3 10+ winning seasons out of 4. And that with a team that has a looooooooong history of ineptitude. Add on that multiple writers suggest he's a top 10 GM. Therefore, it's completely in the scope of reason to suggest that Keim is a top 10 GM.

Yes, our season has been off to a rocky start primarily due to aging and injuries. But to suggest that he should be fired...? Fire a top 10 GM? Seriously? Ok, fine. Please provide some solid evidence to support your suggestion.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Holy Crap. A rational post. Next thing you'll be telling the angry villagers to put down their torches and pitchforks.

Great post, thanks Raze.

Thank you Raze.

Now watch this thread sink like a rock because it has Reason and soundness in it. Something this MB can't stand.

JosEPh

The one position you need to win consistently in the NFL is QB. SK has yet to show he knows what even backup talent looks like at the QB position in the draft. I am not calling for anyone to be fired but there has been steady decline on this team and SK is not blameless.
    Last edited by native az; 10-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Past performance is no guarantee of future success. The GM and the head coach had a plan. The built a team to win in 2015 and 2016. We did well in 2015 but weren't as good as a handful of other NFL teams. 2016 the "all in year" the team was a mess. This year the team looks to be outright bad. We haven't drafted a QB and it looks like last years QB draft class might be excellent.

If your argument is David Johnson, Humphries and Golden make this a playoff team that's reasonable. I can't blame the GM for injuries. I don't think we are a playoff team with those 3 players.

Just because Keim did some great things when he had a couple of good drafts and cash, doesn't mean that will continue. Very often when you bring a new guy in they aren't married to the players on the team and can be dispassionate about what needs to be done. Once loyalty sets in the view is different.

Personally I think being outmaneuvered in last years draft is going to hurt this team for a very long time. The contract that the badger got looks pretty bad and you have to wonder if that's why he made the trade up for Baker? The roster is thin and old.

SK has a lot of misses and the sentiment around the NFL is you build through the draft, not free agency. No one is asking for him to be fired but some accountability is in order. I do think that a "super star" coach is going to want SK gone. So if you like SK it is buyer beware on BA's replacement

Quote Originally Posted by native az View Post
    The one position you need to win consistently in the NFL is QB. SK has yet to show he knows what even backup talent looks like at the QB position in the draft. I am not calling for anyone to be fired but there has been steady decline on this team and SK is not blameless.
    Injuries is The Reason for the decline last season and the start of this season. SK has No Control over injuries. Do you have control over injuries? If so please inform us on how to avoid/eliminate them, Please!

JosEPh

SK just traded an unknown pick for AP. We will see how this goes but I suspect it will be more of the same (a whole lot of nothing)

Can't wait for the "Steve Keim can't draft" crowd to get upset over him trading away a 7th round draft pick