Thread: Y.a.

Default Y.a.

At ten years of age when my knowledge professional football was beginning and awareness of prior and current star players to compare was fun. A trade of an aging star QB was made between the 49'ers and the N.Y.Giants that is a classic example of one team in dire need relieving another team of the problem of a 'logjam' star still at the top of his game but squarely in the way of their kid QB they want to hand the reins over to.

The aging star was Y.A.Tittle and the clipboard holder was Ken Brodie. This scenario was a real headache for San Francisco and the Giants relieved it for them. The Giants had a title-contending veteran team but no QB. Their widely recognized guru of an offensive coach, Allie Sherman, had recently become HC and convinced the Mara ownership that a veteran QB was essential to lead his veteran team back to the title game while the window was still open. It was a bold and fortuitous move that paid off. Y.A. led a team of many future HOF'ers to three consecutive Eastern Titles in 1960-'61-'63. They may have lost all those games but Title had his three greatest seasons and cemented his own HOF enshrinement.

He became my own version of my father's respect for an earlier great QB, Otto Graham. Y.A. taught this young fan what an NFL class act a player could be. While Tittle dominated my Cardinals my father taught me how to appreciate renowned talent and look for it in others. I did not attend the Wrigley Field 1963 title game the the Chicago Bears won, I did know of George Halas' respect for Y.A. and how he depended on his genius of a denfensive coach, George Allen, to gameplan stopping him. It is a classic example of how defense stops an express train of an offense to win a championship.

Yes, the passing of Y.A.Tittle is sad, but it brings back so many good memories for fans of my age range who grew up in that time when players like Y.A. carried the NFL into the modern era. RIP, Y.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    At ten years of age when my knowledge professional football was beginning and awareness of prior and current star players to compare was fun. A trade of an aging star QB was made between the 49'ers and the N.Y.Giants that is a classic example of one team in dire need relieving another team of the problem of a 'logjam' star still at the top of his game but squarely in the way of their kid QB they want to hand the reins over to.

The aging star was Y.A.Tittle and the clipboard holder was Ken Brodie. This scenario was a real headache for San Francisco and the Giants relieved it for them. The Giants had a title-contending veteran team but no QB. Their widely recognized guru of an offensive coach, Allie Sherman, had recently become HC and convinced the Mara ownership that a veteran QB was essential to lead his veteran team back to the title game while the window was still open. It was a bold and fortuitous move that paid off. Y.A. led a team of many future HOF'ers to three consecutive Eastern Titles in 1960-'61-'63. They may have lost all those games but Title had his three greatest seasons and cemented his own HOF enshrinement.

He became my own version of my father's respect for an earlier great QB, Otto Graham. Y.A. taught this young fan what an NFL class act a player could be. While Tittle dominated my Cardinals my father taught me how to appreciate renowned talent and look for it in others. I did not attend the Wrigley Field 1963 title game the the Chicago Bears won, I did know of George Halas' respect for Y.A. and how he depended on his genius of a denfensive coach, George Allen, to gameplan stopping him. It is a classic example of how defense stops an express train of an offense to win a championship.

Yes, the passing of Y.A.Tittle is sad, but it brings back so many good memories for fans of my age range who grew up in that time when players like Y.A. carried the NFL into the modern era. RIP, Y.A.
    And that iconic picture of Tittle on his knees with blood running down his face. Obviously a different time, but what a testament to toughness.