Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59

Thread: ***The Go-With-Gabbert Thread***

  1. #21
    Raze's Avatar
    Raze is offline You cant handle the truth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Iíll have it on, but I wonít be watching much. Iíll be reading a book. Iíve done it before, just not the last four years.

    Edit: Also, I donít think those who will boycott the NFL are represented in fan message boards. There are maybe a few hundred of us on this board? Itís the other end of the fan spectrum that will leave first, and itís happening. I know a bunch of them.
    You can always turn on the Suns games... that'll make you feel a heck of a lot better about the Cards.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    7,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    You can always turn on the Suns games... that'll make you feel a heck of a lot better about the Cards.
    That is brilliant advice and I may try it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    7,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSloan View Post
    I've been watching Blaine Gabbert going back to his college days(huge Missou fan) and the only reason anyone might want him as a starter is sheer desperation. He's the same player he was back in college, same flaws and similar tendencies. He absolutely looks the part of a franchise QB, he talks the part, he just lacks the ability. Otherwise he's a QB right out of central casting, good looking guy, big frame, big arm, athletic, a scout's wet dream of a QB.


    This is what you can expect out of Blaine Gabbert.


    A. Excellent practice player. Gabbert throughout his career has routinely killed it in practice and the preseason. He says all the right things and coaches have raved about his ability to read defenses and know exactly where to go with the football. He makes good timely throws and puts the ball right on the money. Great guy in the film room, highly intelligent, seems to have it all going right for him.


    B. Tremendous athlete. Compared to Stanton and especially Palmer, Gabbert is a gazelle. He can get out and run away from defenders, pick up huge chunks of yards with his feet. That ability to run is a dimension that teams have to take into consideration when defending against him.

    C. Falls apart under actual game conditions. Once the games start for real, for numerous reasons, Gabbert tends to fall apart. He might be fine for awhile and make some big plays but the first time someone puts him into the dirt you can see him try to accelerate his whole throwing process, his footwork falls apart, he starts throwing off his back foot, he panics and starts leaving the pocket early, he often underthrows open receivers because he's not throwing from a stable platform. Interceptions can come in bunches because he's just trying to gun the football out of there in an attempt to avoid the pass rush.


    D. Gets all moody and pouts when he does mess up ala Cam Newton. Didn't earn the nickname "Blame" for no reason though he seems to have matured in recent years.




    You can say that he's struggled on some poor teams with Jacksonville and San Francisco and you'd be right but he was a major reason for his own struggles. The guy just doesn't function at all under pressure. You get pass rushers anywhere within 5 feet of him and that is all she wrote. Here come the happy feet, the off-target throws and poor decision-making. Composure goes out the window and he winds up becoming an interception machine. There is nothing magical about Bruce's system that is going to make Gabbert stop being Gabbert. His issues with performing under pressure are so well ingrained at this point that I don't see anything changing them.



    None of this is an endorsement of Stanton who can't hit the broadside of the barn consistently. I've never understood Bruce's infatuation with him aside from knowing the offense and being a nice guy. I just think that with either one of these guys the team is screwed and will have to hope that they can run and defense their way into victories in spite of the quarterbacking.
    Good post, and I’ve seen A and B and certainly C in the NFL. I didn’t see him much in college but why do you say he’s always been C? Even in college? He came out a Jr with 29 games under his belt and only 18 INTs to 48 TDs. 8 losses to 21 wins, in a pretty good conference . Did he struggle like that against the good teams with good D’s and pass rushes?
    Last edited by Dry Heat; 10-23-2017 at 10:14 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Good post, and Iíve seen A and B and certainly C in the NFL. I didnít see him much in college but why do you say heís always been C? Even in college? He came out a Jr with 29 games under his belt and only 18 INTs to 48 TDs. 8 losses to 21 wins, in a pretty good conference . Did he struggle like that against the good teams with good Dís and pass rushes?


    Even in college he had a habit of falling apart after being hit a few times. His overall performance really wasn't all that great for a guy playing in a pretty wide open spread offense. A lot of the hype about him pre-draft was centered around his overall potential. He was big, had a strong arm, fantastic athleticism, the hope was that he could put it all together in the NFL but I see a lot of the same exact tendencies that he showed in college. The happy feet when he was pressured have followed him from Missouri throughout his entire NFL career thus far. He's a guy who thrives in controlled conditions but whose mechanics consistently fall apart when things get chaotic.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    522

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Verde Valley
    Posts
    6,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSloan View Post
    Even in college he had a habit of falling apart after being hit a few times. His overall performance really wasn't all that great for a guy playing in a pretty wide open spread offense. A lot of the hype about him pre-draft was centered around his overall potential. He was big, had a strong arm, fantastic athleticism, the hope was that he could put it all together in the NFL but I see a lot of the same exact tendencies that he showed in college. The happy feet when he was pressured have followed him from Missouri throughout his entire NFL career thus far. He's a guy who thrives in controlled conditions but whose mechanics consistently fall apart when things get chaotic.
    He is gonna shine here behind the Hogs
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    Maybe Gabbert isn't an upgrade over Stanton. But we won't know until we see him play a few games. I'm not worried what he did years ago with the Jags. He wasn't ready to start in this league after playing the spread at Mizzou. Jags through him out there will little support and he regressed.

    Fast forward several years, Gabbert seems more in control. He's matured. He has the tools to be #1 in this league. I would much rather see him play regardless of the outcome vs more Drew Stanton. He's a career backup. Him playing the rest of the year gets us no where as far as a starting qb for the future. He's in his 30's. Gabbert is about 6 years younger and has far more tools. I'm not going to be happy if Stanton is shoved down our throats the rest of the season
    "It's not a lie if you believe it."
    George Castanza

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Stanton can't take us to the promise land, but he might be good enough to right Green Bay's ship. Hundley played terrible and that increases Stanton's value. As much as i dislike Kapernick, at this point, I'd deal Stanton to GB and sign CK. Let CK and Gabbert battle it out the rest of the season. If one shines, great. If not, the tanker trolls (including myself) would be pleased.

    I wouldn't have been okay with this weeks ago. But given AP is here, CK or Gabbert might be able to do something if Arians would adjust his scheme toward more run/pass options.

    It's win-win in my book because while those guys might suck and help us tank, they have way more upside than Stanton and we might could catch lightning in a bottle. The ONLY thing Stanton might do is help us go .500. I'd rather risk it all for the biscuit or go hungry and be in a position to draft out QBOTF next year.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,148

    Default

    I say go with Gabbert. We all know what we have in Stanton. A career back up who was never looked at as a starter. Your not going to win anything with Stanton as your starter for a prolonged period of time. He might get you through a game or two, but that's it.

    Now with Gabbert you have a guy who was a starter for two different teams. Both teams were terrible. Both had bad O lines. At least you get to see if he is a viable option for next year. You know already Stanton isn't the answer. Plus the fact Gabbert can break the pocket and either extend plays or take off and pick up 5 to 20 some yards. And with this O line that could be a real plus.

    Were not going to the playoffs this year. Especially now with Palmer down for the year. We weren't going even with Palmer healthy. This team just has too many holes on both sides of the ball. At least see if one of those holes can be filled with Gabbert. That might be one less hole needed to be filled for next year. At least playing Gabbert you know if he is worth keeping or not. Stanton isn't the answer. We all know this except for BA.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSloan View Post
    I've been watching Blaine Gabbert going back to his college days(huge Missou fan) and the only reason anyone might want him as a starter is sheer desperation. He's the same player he was back in college, same flaws and similar tendencies. He absolutely looks the part of a franchise QB, he talks the part, he just lacks the ability. Otherwise he's a QB right out of central casting, good looking guy, big frame, big arm, athletic, a scout's wet dream of a QB.


    This is what you can expect out of Blaine Gabbert.


    A. Excellent practice player. Gabbert throughout his career has routinely killed it in practice and the preseason. He says all the right things and coaches have raved about his ability to read defenses and know exactly where to go with the football. He makes good timely throws and puts the ball right on the money. Great guy in the film room, highly intelligent, seems to have it all going right for him.


    B. Tremendous athlete. Compared to Stanton and especially Palmer, Gabbert is a gazelle. He can get out and run away from defenders, pick up huge chunks of yards with his feet. That ability to run is a dimension that teams have to take into consideration when defending against him.

    C. Falls apart under actual game conditions. Once the games start for real, for numerous reasons, Gabbert tends to fall apart. He might be fine for awhile and make some big plays but the first time someone puts him into the dirt you can see him try to accelerate his whole throwing process, his footwork falls apart, he starts throwing off his back foot, he panics and starts leaving the pocket early, he often underthrows open receivers because he's not throwing from a stable platform. Interceptions can come in bunches because he's just trying to gun the football out of there in an attempt to avoid the pass rush.


    D. Gets all moody and pouts when he does mess up ala Cam Newton. Didn't earn the nickname "Blame" for no reason though he seems to have matured in recent years.




    You can say that he's struggled on some poor teams with Jacksonville and San Francisco and you'd be right but he was a major reason for his own struggles. The guy just doesn't function at all under pressure. You get pass rushers anywhere within 5 feet of him and that is all she wrote. Here come the happy feet, the off-target throws and poor decision-making. Composure goes out the window and he winds up becoming an interception machine. There is nothing magical about Bruce's system that is going to make Gabbert stop being Gabbert. His issues with performing under pressure are so well ingrained at this point that I don't see anything changing them.



    None of this is an endorsement of Stanton who can't hit the broadside of the barn consistently. I've never understood Bruce's infatuation with him aside from knowing the offense and being a nice guy. I just think that with either one of these guys the team is screwed and will have to hope that they can run and defense their way into victories in spite of the quarterbacking.
    So he had bad OL's in Jacksonville and San Fran so he'll feel right at home in AZ. I've complained for years that the Cards have the WORST screen game in the NFL but Gabbert's running ability could replace a good screen play as I believe Gabbert can step up and scramble for probably 50-60 yds per game when OL breaks down. BG also has never had a great running back for play action so if BA will start BG and run AP between 20-24 times per game (no matter what the result) that will open up the play action game. BG's much better arm strength than DS will hit some bigger plays "down the seam."

    I would agree that BG's happy feet would occur in the past but again he never had a HOF RB and WR which he does now. We must find out if he can be the Cards future and DS is definitely not it. C'mon BA prove you are the QB Whisperer by taking a guy in BG with probably top 3 in the NFL PHYSICAL talent at QB and teach him the nuances of QB play and improve the mechanics under pressure -- then you can really be called the QB whisperer.

    Who knows, maybe BG's habits under pressure cannot be fixed but between BA - Tom Moore and B. Leftwich there should be enough offensive coaching talent to turn BG into a decent QB. Measuring physical talent of size - speed - quickness - arm strength, BG maybe even #1 and he also has one of the highest wonderlic scores (42) of any QB drafted in last decade. Accuracy and QB nuances around the pocket are obviously the things which separate QB's so let's see if the Cards coaches can prove their worth by taking a guy with elite physical skills and at least be able to turn him into a Kirk Cousins.... keep in mind that K. Cousins was not considered a good QB until Shanahan turned him into one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •