Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Three Amigos'

Default The Three Amigos'

Here's a salute to the profootball players who honor the veterans they took over for by how they play the game now in the twilight of their own careers. Seeing how our own give it their all and provide us longtime fans the thrill of their exceptional effort...well, it's pure joy to me. Longevity and production and entertainment.

Larry Fitzgerald, the 'Gentleman Superstar,' passing heralded HOF'er Tim Brown for 6th place all-time in receiving yards, could finish the year, i.e. career at No.3? You have recently acquired AP with his career number of carries on Sunday last passing not one, but two HOF'ers in Thurman Thomas and Franco Harris in rushing yards on his way to the great Jim Brown's standard for running backs, and effervescent Karlos Dansby becoming only the fifth linebacker to achieve 20 intercepts and 40 sacks in a career now in the same conversation as Seth Joyner, Ray Lewis, Wilbur Marshall and Brian Urlacher.

Say what you will in support or critique of these and other veteran achievers, but, for me, they represent the finest in the game and deserve our respect. In their own way they are keeping us Cardinal fans watchin' and hoping that 'Dame Fortune' will give us a wink in the season's second half. After the number of crushing key starting players of ours being injured in the games so fa,r we may be wobbln' on our feet but we're still standin.'

Veteran leadership like these 'Three Amigos' are indispensable for focusing younger players in attitude and effort for the challenges ahead. Yes, the Seahawks game may prove critical in how our season will be defined. But, I, for one, am proud of our team's resiliency and response to the misfortune of losing Carson Palmer, David Johnson, Mike Ilupati, and Goldman for the season. We had to adjust to not having Humphries, Boone, Ellington, John Brown and J.J.Nelson, and Buchannon for multiple games. We had to incorporate a new RG in Watford, rookie Reddick in a position change, solve our left CB need on the fly, turn to traded-for AP to balance our attack and now lean on backup QB, Drew Stanton to keep our faint playoff hopes alive.

Thanks for the veterans, for who else can stiffen our resolve now in the face of a national audience watching us as 'home dogs' against the Seahawks? Well, it's you Valley fans, that's who... I am proud of our guys who are displaying the finest effort that a team can in the face of such adversity. Come Thursday night they will put it all on the field for they know what is at stake. Give the cred to our 'Three Amigos' that they deserve...they lead our team from the front.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    Here's a salute to the profootball players who honor the veterans they took over for by how they play the game now in the twilight of their own careers. Seeing how our own give it their all and provide us longtime fans the thrill of their exceptional effort...well, it's pure joy to me. Longevity and production and entertainment.

Larry Fitzgerald, the 'Gentleman Superstar,' passing heralded HOF'er Tim Brown for 6th place all-time in receiving yards, could finish the year, i.e. career at No.3? You have recently acquired AP with his career number of carries on Sunday last passing not one, but two HOF'ers in Thurman Thomas and Franco Harris in rushing yards on his way to the great Jim Brown's standard for running backs, and effervescent Karlos Dansby becoming only the fifth linebacker to achieve 20 intercepts and 40 sacks in a career now in the same conversation as Seth Joyner, Ray Lewis, Wilbur Marshall and Brian Urlacher.

Say what you will in support or critique of these and other veteran achievers, but, for me, they represent the finest in the game and deserve our respect. In their own way they are keeping us Cardinal fans watchin' and hoping that 'Dame Fortune' will give us a wink in the season's second half. After the number of crushing key starting players of ours being injured in the games so fa,r we may be wobbln' on our feet but we're still standin.'

Veteran leadership like these 'Three Amigos' are indispensable for focusing younger players in attitude and effort for the challenges ahead. Yes, the Seahawks game may prove critical in how our season will be defined. But, I, for one, am proud of our team's resiliency and response to the misfortune of losing Carson Palmer, David Johnson, Mike Ilupati, and Goldman for the season. We had to adjust to not having Humphries, Boone, Ellington, John Brown and J.J.Nelson, and Buchannon for multiple games. We had to incorporate a new RG in Watford, rookie Reddick in a position change, solve our left CB need on the fly, turn to traded-for AP to balance our attack and now lean on backup QB, Drew Stanton to keep our faint playoff hopes alive.

Thanks for the veterans, for who else can stiffen our resolve now in the face of a national audience watching us as 'home dogs' against the Seahawks? Well, it's you Valley fans, that's who... I am proud of our guys who are displaying the finest effort that a team can in the face of such adversity. Come Thursday night they will put it all on the field for they know what is at stake. Give the cred to our 'Three Amigos' that they deserve...they lead our team from the front.
    I've read a couple of your recent posts back to back (the other being the Deja Vu one), and I have to say that as I read your writing, for some reason I read it in the voice of one of those classic radio announcers (it totally works!). A couple of your posts have a very 'editorial' or newspaper feel to them (the titles really help) and I quite enjoyed them. Keep up the unique and creative writing and for sharing well thought out perspectives and opinions. It's refreshing.

Oh I am so sorry Wrong three Amigos thread!

I thought you were referring to

AMOS JONES- PHIL DAWSON- DREW STANTON

Phil being the newest member

He replaced the beloved DREW BUTLER!

Phil I got you by 20 years plus but I can still stick a 32 yard FG!

,Dansby. Fitzgerald and Peterson are true amigos
    Last edited by FLCardinalFan; 11-07-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLCardinalFan View Post
    Oh I am so sorry Wrong three Amigos thread!

I thought you were referring to

AMOS JONES- PHIL DAWSON- DREW STANTON

Phil being the newest member

He replaced the beloved DREW BUTLER!

Phil I got you by 20 years plus but I can still stick a 32 yard FG!
    Funny I was thinking the same thing.

But Tom's post is the kind that might bring Joseph out of the woodwork. Poor guy's feelings have been really hurt. Even Mama's apple pie hasn't soothed them.
    Last edited by AriS.; 11-07-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

Default Hero Or You're The Goat

Yeah, I see your point. The perspective a fan has will play out the 'feel' of his support. But, following the Cardinals for me has always been about the here and now. Leaning toward recognizing preperation, talent, teamwork, achievement, resiliency, fighting spirit has allowed me to be more forgiving to those players who stumble and fail. I look for how they respond with failure and how teammates rally around them. That's very important to me as a fan and I sense to BA, too.

Wouldn't it be great if BA and the Cardinals caught lightning in a bottle?...if the recent success of BA leading the Colts to the playoffs repeat itself in the Valley? As an old school fan I feel I have seen it all. For all the 'face-plants' the Cardinals have suffered over the years I've still got their back and am hopin' and a wishin' and a prayin' they will make the SB before the NFL celebrates its Centennial, their own Centennial.

I guess that in my strong support of veteran and/or Cinderella teams who willed themselves to championships...the '58 Colts, the 1960 Eagles, or '69 Jets for example and, even, the teams' who fell short, like the Y.A.Tittle Giants, Bud Grant's Vikings, George Allen's 'The Future Is Now' Redskins, and even our own SB XLIII Cardinals.

Perspective, we all have our own view and mine is on Fitzgerald and Adrian Peterson and Patrick Peterson come Thursday night.

Yeah, I see your point. The perspective a fan has will play out the 'feel' of his support. But, following the Cardinals for me has always been about the here and now. Leaning toward recognizing preperation, talent, teamwork, achievement, resiliency, fighting spirit has allowed me to be more forgiving to those players who stumble and fail. I look for how they respond with failure and how teammates rally around them. That's very important to me as a fan and I sense to BA, too.

Wouldn't it be great if BA and the Cardinals caught lightning in a bottle?...if the recent success of BA leading the Colts to the playoffs repeat itself in the Valley? As an old school fan I feel I have seen it all. For all the 'face-plants' the Cardinals have suffered over the years I've still got their back and am hopin' and a wishin' and a prayin' they will make the SB before the NFL celebrates its Centennial, their own Centennial.

I guess that in my strong support of veteran and/or Cinderella teams who willed themselves to championships...the '58 Colts, the 1960 Eagles, or '69 Jets for example and, even, the teams' who fell short, like the Y.A.Tittle Giants, Bud Grant's Vikings, George Allen's 'The Future Is Now' Redskins, and even our own SB XLIII Cardinals.

Perspective, we all have our own view and mine is on Fitzgerald and Adrian Peterson and Patrick Peterson come Thursday night.

Tom,

Tip of the cap to you! Great write up. Like the other poster said you are a great writer. I like to write too
    but on here I'm just having fun and enjoying being a Cardinal fan like you.
    You though are like Grantland Rice

I love Our Cardinals. I want them to win so bad Thursday night!

On a sad note. Roy Halladay perished in a plane crash here in Florida today.
    The sports and baseball world have lost a true great player and good guy.
    Thoughts are with and prayers are given up to his wife and 2 children &family.

Tom....nice post and thread. While I'm sure we don't agree on everything, I think we're more alike than not.

Like you, I've been around a long time ( Dry Heat once accused me of remembering something 50 years ago rather than 40 yrs ago as I remembered it...lol ) and I/you have seen it all.

Over the years, there are many people whether it be players or management that I was so proud of.

There were times when I hated the owner, GM, Head coach, or QB. Still, I was a fan and wanted them to win.

As I age, I too want to see that SB win before its too late. Then I can die with a smile on my face.....
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Default It Never Gets Old

Hey, 'FLCardinalFan' and 'thomas cat' I tip my cap to you in thanking you for your kind words. Yeah, we're peas in the same pod when it comes to being Cardinal fans. It's an itch that's gotta be scratched, a fascination, my wife calls it an obsession, that's been part of me as long ago when my first favorite Cardinal was Ollie Matson. On game day at Comiskey Park listening to the action on the radio was thrilling, especially knowing my Dad was there with his two brothers and a brother-in-law. I couldn't wait for his return so he could tell me all he had seen with his own eyes, describing everything Ollie had accomplished, feeding my ten year-old imagination. This really old school fan can still be affected like that yesteryear boy over DJ or AP in today's NFL. It keeps me...well, I'm not fading away yet.

Here's a personal one for you fans on that note. When I was humpin' a PRC-25 with Fox 2/5, 1st MarDiv we had just come off a sweep in 'Arizona Valley' up in I Corps in the Fall of '70. I was 'short,' about 30 days from returning 'to the world in my 2nd tour, and very 'salty.' We were standing down and I was not going on any more operations due to the Commandant's recent order of no 'short' Marine sent into 'harm's way.'

Well, anyway, scuttlebutt said that the Da Nang Naval Airbase USO showed an NFL 'Game of the Week' along with highlights of the other games, and that picked game was the Cardinals playing the Eagles. Though this 'Buck Sgt.' knew what he was risking and liberty was not possible in the middle of the week I just had to see that game. Yep, I went AWOL to see a game under conditions only my 'Pop' would understand.

My 'Guardian Angel' was on duty and got me safely to Da Nang, found the USO on time for the game, and back to our compound without nary a soul knowing I had been gone for six hours. Normally, under those circumstances, a Marine in my situation would find a discreet hole to crawl in an just do one of the three things important to any Marine...sleep. Twenty-one years old and goin' on thirty, fulla' brass and I put my stripes on the line for a Cardinal football game!

I remember telling that tale to my young wife years later when using it to illustrate my reasoning in becoming a season ticket holder, along with 'Pop,' though living Chicago, I swear she tilted her head sideways and gave me that 'open mouth' stare.

Oh, the Cardinals beat the Eagles...'oo rah!'

Hey, 'FLCardinalFan' and 'thomas cat' I tip my cap to you in thanking you for your kind words. Yeah, we're peas in the same pod when it comes to being Cardinal fans. It's an itch that's gotta be scratched, a fascination, my wife calls it an obsession, that's been part of me as long ago when my first favorite Cardinal was Ollie Matson. On game day at Comiskey Park listening to the action on the radio was thrilling, especially knowing my Dad was there with his two brothers and a brother-in-law. I couldn't wait for his return so he could tell me all he had seen with his own eyes, describing everything Ollie had accomplished, feeding my ten year-old imagination. This really old school fan can still be affected like that yesteryear boy over DJ or AP in today's NFL. It keeps me...well, I'm not fading away yet.

Here's a personal one for you fans on that note. When I was humpin' a PRC-25 with Fox 2/5, 1st MarDiv we had just come off a sweep in 'Arizona Valley' up in I Corps in the Fall of '70. I was 'short,' about 30 days from returning 'to the world in my 2nd tour, and very 'salty.' We were standing down and I was not going on any more operations due to the Commandant's recent order of no 'short' Marine sent into 'harm's way.'

Well, anyway, scuttlebutt said that the Da Nang Naval Airbase USO showed an NFL 'Game of the Week' along with highlights of the other games, and that picked game was the Cardinals playing the Eagles. Though this 'Buck Sgt.' knew what he was risking and liberty was not possible in the middle of the week I just had to see that game. Yep, I went AWOL to see a game under conditions only my 'Pop' would understand.

My 'Guardian Angel' was on duty and got me safely to Da Nang, found the USO on time for the game, and back to our compound without nary a soul knowing I had been gone for six hours. Normally, under those circumstances, a Marine in my situation would find a discreet hole to crawl in an just do one of the three things important to any Marine...sleep. Twenty-one years old and goin' on thirty, fulla' brass and I put my stripes on the line for a Cardinal football game!

I remember telling that tale to my young wife years later when using it to illustrate my reasoning in becoming a season ticket holder, along with 'Pop,' though living Chicago, I swear she tilted her head sideways and gave me that 'open mouth' stare.

Oh, the Cardinals beat the Eagles...'oo rah!'
    Great story and thanks for your service, from a Navy vet and old Eagles fan.

Default Anchors Aweigh and Semper Fi

It's my privilege to thank you for your service, 'curmedgeon.' May I impress upon you how your corpsmen are the most revered and dependable of sailors for us Marines. Some years ago I had the honor of a meet 'n greet with author, James Bradley, son of the Navy corpsman who helped raise Old Glory atop Mt.Suribachi on Iwo Jima. Like me, a proud and appreciative son of a WWII veteran, we swapped 'sea stories' about corpsmen in my experience and his limited knowledge of his fathers experiences. Any Marine who worked with the corpsmen like I did or benefited from their care will sing their praises.

Not too long ago I came across a death notice in the Chicago Tribune of a fellow RVN vet. What caught my eye was his age, only 68 years young, my own age. It was sad for me at his passing and a slap in the kisser reminder that us of similar age are vulnerable now. Upon reading his loved ones' words for him included in the notice was the mention of his being a sailor and the standard American Flag depicting a veteran. And underneath the flag was the USMC Globe & Anchor, too. This tells of not only his proud service as a Navy corpsman, but that his family was well aware of his esprit.

So, 'curmudgeon,' here's to you and to my Corps...Semper Fi.