Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will this be the year we end up with a top 10 draft pick and land a franchise QB?

Default Will this be the year we end up with a top 10 draft pick and land a franchise QB?

What do you guys think? Or are we destined to finish 7-9/8-8 and be stuck with a middling pick?

I sure hope so... this is the first time I legitimately wanted the Cards to lose and it was against the Hawks... wow.

The 9ers, giants and Browns are top 3.
    "It's OUR Time"

Quote Originally Posted by JagNCard225 View Post
    The 9ers, giants and Browns are top 3.
    All of whom it could be argued have their QB of the next couple of years already on their roster.
    9ers Garoppolo.
    Giants Webb
    Browns Kizer.

The Browns aren't inexperienced in pulling the plug on a QB though.

All will probably be looking to trade down. That is unless the Giants fall in love with an O line guy, which is entirely possible, in what I think is a decent group.
    It remains to be seen where the hype is re the QBs. As I said before. Last year Todd McShay stated early he thought the Qbs were a weak class, and it was taken as gospel. If someone of equal footing, Kiper, Mayock, Brooks etc say something to hype this class up, and the rest run with it, we could see an RGIII type bundle being thrown at the team with the #1 pick.
    I'm thinking the hype (and my excitement) is heading in a downward trajectory, and the 2018 class could be seen as weak. So teams might hang on in a similar way to last year where Watson is taken at 12.
    Twickers bound.

Don't count those 3 teams not going after a QB if the right one is there. Especially the Browns and the Winers. I don't think the Browns are sold on Kinzer. Same with the Winers and Jimmy G.

Were now looking up at 2 teams in this division. Seattle needs only an O line to be back at the top. LA just might be the cream of the division at this point. Both have their QBs we need ours before we can compete with them. SK has his work cut out for him this off season. We need at least 3 maybe 4 good starters to be competitive again.

Firstly I don't think we will be picking top 10, there are some horrible teams this year and we are a little less horrible. We will probably be pick around 10-13 as I expect us to have a 6/10 sort of record.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    It remains to be seen where the hype is re the QBs. As I said before. Last year Todd McShay stated early he thought the Qbs were a weak class, and it was taken as gospel. If someone of equal footing, Kiper, Mayock, Brooks etc say something to hype this class up, and the rest run with it, we could see an RGIII type bundle being thrown at the team with the #1 pick.
    I'm thinking the hype (and my excitement) is heading in a downward trajectory, and the 2018 class could be seen as weak. So teams might hang on in a similar way to last year where Watson is taken at 12.
    This is the interesting part. This class was hyped up as everyone expected the 'big 3' (Darnold, Allen and Rosen) to take that next step up and none of them have (you could argue Allen has taken several steps backwards). What this class is, is deep.The 3 already mentioned along with Jackson, Rudolph, Falk, Mayfield are all round 1/round 2 sort of guys. Even after those 7 guys there are players like Thorson (who will likely push in to that round 2 bracket), Stidham, Fitzgerald, Grier and Finley who are all guys you would take a punt on in the third round.

So to answer the question, no I wouldn't take a QB with a top 10 pick as I don't think the top 10 talent is there (right now). I know I keep banging the drum but if an elite guard prospect like Nelson is still there I take him, if an elite DB like Fitzpatrick is there I take him, even a very good tackle prospect like McGlinchy is there I take him. I think there will be guys in the second round who we can trade up to groom.

I always look at record, schedule and quality of opponents, major injuries, and points scored vs points allowed to get a sense of how good or bad a team is. By our record at the half way point we would draft 10-15. Our quality of opponent in our wins, however, is awful...we’ve beat 3 teams that have a total of 5 wins combined, and 2 of those wins were OT. In addition, we are the 4th or 5th worst team by points scored vs given up. And we face the second half of the season without Palmer, along with other significant injuries beyond what most teams face in an average NFL year.

I’d put us at the 3rd-5th worst team, but with our 2 overtime wins we may end up drafting 5th-8th. Right now there are 9 teams with worse records than us, but I think a few of them will have more success than us the rest of the way.

So yes I think we draft top 10. As to whether we turn that into a first round QBOF pick, who knows? We have extra picks to throw at moving up, and the QB class seems to have prospects. But even if we grab a top 5 QB, the success rate is iffy and I haven’t seen a drafted QB do well here since Plumber (who many thought of as merely a home town crowd pleaser).

But I think we will have a shot. I hope Keim has his best men on QB tape all Nov-spring.

Our wins have come against teams that have COMBINED to win 5 games.

Draft position is all we have in the bag for the rest of the year and maybe seeing if Gabbert can be a player in this league. If BA gives him a chance.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

We currently pick.........#14

yikes, that really, really hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    We currently pick.........#14

yikes, that really, really hurts.
    Obviously before Thursday nights loss is accounted for but it goes back to my original post in this thread, there are alot of bad teams this year, worse than the Cardinals.